This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V by Special Hobby - released

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

If you are patient, a Sandringham conversion may well happen.

But not that sort of Sandringham  - the Dennis Brignell article (technically) describes a modified Sunderland looking very much like a Sandringham............. but sooooo ugly!

Sorry, Ed, Dennis' article covers both Sandringham and Ansett's "Sundringham". He only built Islander.

8 hours ago, Peter O said:

That may be the one I've seen. It's not a standard Sandringham, but a one-off conversion that's rather bulbous:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/shortfb/vh-brf/vhbrf.html

I saw it in its current guise at Fantasy of Flight about 10 years ago.

Peter, that's the "Sundringham", the Sunderland that Ansett bought from the RNZAF and converted at Rose Bay. It ended up with Kermit Weekes, and AFAIK is still in his collection. The resin that I've got is to make a true Sandringham as produced by the Shorts factory.

Ah. Well, that would still get me closer to the Sundringham than I am now. I don't see it listed on Hawkeye's website, so I'll have to email Peter and see if it's still available.

The construction photos at Aussie Airliners will be a big help to getting the nose contours correct.

6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Dennis' article covers both Sandringham and Ansett's "Sundringham". He only built Islander.

Yeah - I was just going on what he built - a modified Sunderland V. A fine model too!