1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

7 hours ago, Wez said:

Like the decal sheet.

@LDSModeller  what does this WIP of a test shot tell you?

Well .... Looks like a Sunderland if that's what people want??

Few comments

1) Not all Mk V/MR5's had the indented mooring divots in fuselage, some had push out push

in type, so you would not see them, this limits your build potential????

2) If you want to build Post WWII Mk V's/MR5's  then the Rear Entry hatch is missing the cut out panels

for the crash ax and fire extinguisher

24369a18-1eb2-4935-8b68-015e8c09f2b8.jpg

Interior

134da079-1d18-4e38-914b-be0e6f907b1f.jpg

You can see the Plexi glass cutouts in this photo, which also shows the Beam Hatch missing in the model

build in link, as well as modeller has three portholes when there are only two

6e0bd9a9-d39b-45ec-8d92-0d235cfc4d2e.jpg

3) Can't see Flare chute Starboard side aft of rear hatch

dabf3d34-ffa4-4512-81a9-13ae8acdef6e.jpg

b47adae6-2820-4427-8734-1fc72cf14df6.jpg

From Interior

be843be1-b5c9-4c44-967f-3c0a70f2f1d6.jpg

The model's rear Turret well/fairing seems too short/shallow for FN4B Mk 2 Turret

7cd3c52f-6d40-4f51-97d1-d8bc776ad35c.jpg

I would be interested as to what the diameter of the Opening Portholes is on model?

In 1:1 scale the opening is 35cm which is 4.86mm in 1/72

7fcfe07b-3399-4a52-a714-4ce42d0455f6.jpg

Be interested how they plan to mount the R1830 engines to the Firewall and what the

Cowling looks like, Mk V/MR5 and Mk III are different (whole 1 size fits all thing I guess)

There are other things like the flight deck (not shown) and upper hatch is in wrong place,

Do they include the hatch - if they do, how do they tell you to display it open?

Just some comments, some might find petty..............

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mick b said:

Thing is; when a model is sat on your shelf or a table at a model show or even a competition table does it really matter how accurate say a PE interior is given that nobody really cares or is knowledgeable to know otherwise but the builder has had the satisfaction of using said PE to refine his model however accurate and only you and a few other experts will know any better?

Mike

Modellers can build their Sunderland any way they want, fictitious or otherwise

Have you visited the forums and read the amount of posts asking how accurate the Italeri

Sunderland is? I guarantee same will happen with the SH Mk V. Modellers want to be "Accurate".

Over the years I have read magazines/web builds with the modeller stating things like "This really

adds accuracy or this is accurate, when you can tell they wouldn't even know what a real Sunderland looks

like.

Here in New Zealand the Italeri Sunderland's sell for between 80-100NZD - Why would I personally want

to build my Sunderland with say the Eduard Exterior set, when every photo I have seen in a Sunderland

book or seen on the real aircraft looks nothing like Eduard portray. The Bomb bay tracks aren't even real

in portrayal, because unless the bomb trucks are out under the wing the whole thing is seal;ed off with

metal strips

Partially open/closed

6be1e68e-d230-45b2-8f82-256f8ff1a907.jpg

Fully closed

980eeff8-49ce-4768-9936-3d7e8b02e833.jpg

Modellers like to portray Depth Charges hanging out on Beached Sunderland's, when in

reality, Depth Charges and other ordnance was removed before beaching.

Build how you want, I'm simply putting it out there to help modellers who want to be

"Accurate", be informed.

Alan

• Like 5

Yes I am well aware of the shortcomings in the Italeri Sunderlands and I have bought both the MK1 and III versions as it is one of my favourite aeroplanes of all time and I will endeavour to produce as accurate a model as I can given the models and aftermarket spares currently available and I welcome your posts regarding areas that need addressing but as I would like a Sunderland on my shelf I will not postpone buying such a kit as by the time a truly accurate model appears that has no faults or shortcomings whatsoever inherent due to the restrictions of cost and manufacturing processes, as I will surely be six foot under by then?

Agreed the kits are expensive hence I waited until they were offered considerably cheaper on eBay and recently half price in a local hobby craft shop.

I have the white ensign PE set, what is your opinion on that? 

Regards 

Mike

Edited by mick b

4 hours ago, mick b said:

I have the white ensign PE set, what is your opinion on that? 

The White Ensign Flight deck is one the nicer sets, I really like their rendition

of the Sunderland seat frames. Though exit/entry galley way are more steps than stairs.

if you were not planning on leaving the main bow hatch open no big deal.

The Flight deck is more fit for a late production Mk III/IIIa or even a Mk V

In looking at it (un-built) and with builds I have seen, it has the Flight Engineers Atrodome Access ladder

(I kid you not, that's it's real name (from manual)), which was only found on Mk I/II and possibly early Mk III

Sunderland's, as in photo below (from IWM ). You can see it stowed and my red addition deployed

f1c9d02d-76f7-487e-8871-33d6ce1d7eee.jpg

Later Sunderland Mk's didn't have this, as below (Mk V/MR5) retaining only the stand which folds out

d8f83c05-7439-4d5d-9ac7-a9b3bcc5dec3.jpg

4bfdc3e9-a9b9-4594-966f-aaf56cd0379c.jpg

The wireless semi bulkhead is missing some of the rudimentary items from the front, such as The depth

Charge selector (Mickey Mouse), Fire extinguisher, engine crank handles etc

The rest of the station though is pretty much spot on

I have seen at least one build, where the builder has stuck the WAG's seat/back armour half way up the panel behind

Whether that is the way White Ensign shows or modellers fault ? Below in photo you can see the seat mounted to Main spar

2b683b13-2e81-4adb-b0e4-3aa16744c688.jpg

d493531f-8a86-4205-b1cf-b83dc3d0a7f9.jpg

The only thing missing form the White Ensign flight deck is the ASV Station/curtains behind second pilots seat

3f016acb-875e-489f-901c-561b06f8202d.jpg

The Bomb bay Set :hmmm:Looks nothing like an actual Sunderland Bomb Bay.

Again whether it's White Ensign's design or modellers fault, I have seen a number of builds where the

rear flight deck bulkhead (has the church door) is at some acute angle 30-40 degrees, when in real life

it is quite vertical

Flight Engineers position

d99adc47-bb84-4b9d-bd7d-ca590944ed55.jpg

Looking from Bomb bay roof side into flight deck

f856672e-1df6-49d5-b8d1-35600121a649.jpg

Hope that helps You?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I suspect the RAF versions are from 205 Squadron, however does anyone know what units, bases and time period all these schemes belong to? 

Cheers.. Dave 

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Surprised there's not a Berlin Airlift aircraft.

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

Maybe that's what the 230 sqn option is?  They were out there at the time wearing 4X codes.

If you check out this quick You tube clip, there is  a Sunderland coded with 4X-D (though could be O),

another appears to be 4X-Y,  other 4X's not so easy to discern

Berlin Airlift Sunderland

According to "Ocean Sentinel",  PP117 seemed to have a unlucky life as it had it's fair share accidents,

mostly based at Pembroke. Serving with 228 Sqn, 201 Sqn and 230 Sqn

No mention of Serving in Berlin Airlift (that of course doesn't mean it didn't happen)

There is s nice aerial shot of PP117 on page 133 in same book circa 1949

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 6:48 AM, Homebee said:

After my last post above, I continued looking at the other RAF aircraft in "Ocean Sentenial"

and noted the following:

Going by the photo in Ocean Sentenial, PP177 (4X-W) does not have the waterline Grey Lanolin Water Proofing

as depicted by SH artist

SZ566 Coded Z with 205 Sqn circa Aug 1950, then to 209 Sqn circa Jan 1953 was coded F also Z

and finally transferred to reserves 88 Sqn coded C - photo of SZ566 in Far East (page 142) shows

that the airframe did not have waterline Grey Lanolin Water Proofing as depicted by SH artist

Of NJ177 - no photo, but with 209 Sqn, Coded V,  was destroyed during a Japanese Gale while on

detachment in Japan circa Aug 1954

Hope that this is of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

No, it's a Black & White Photo of PP117, but she's definitely looking worse for wear though.

Nice photos in those links - thanks for posting them

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Looks there are some build issues with this kit as can be seen here.

https://ipmsnymburk.com/forum/viewtema.php?ID_tema=40445&page=&idp=&idc_d=

Not in English but the pictures tell the story.

Cheers, Peter

Would love to know what the diameter of the Portholes are, some appear too large especially

along the lower fuselage.

As an FYI, the Mk V didn't have bunks and crew table in the Bomb bay, those were for the Mk I/II only

and only by special order from Shorts - someone screwed up there?

The other issue is that the Mk V/MR5 didn't have a full rear deck as kitted by SH, as in these photos of the real

thing

e2d0322f-9b53-4e36-9ebb-fa292926f483.JPG

2f430e02-f1e1-4754-accf-9a9d85d965ef.jpg

Regards

Alan

Well, it's obviously an unbuildable and monstrously inaccurate pile of dreck. Still, being the masochist I am, I will no doubt be buying one. Oh the horror...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 8

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:25 AM, LDSModeller said:

Mk V didn't have bunks and crew table in the Bomb bay, those were for the Mk I/II only

and only by special order from Shorts - someone screwed up there?

An interesting point, thanks Alan.

Those of us used to our own "home English" acquire many new turns of phrase, and we get used to even more. But for most of us, some phrases just never sit right and I wonder if the term "screwed-up" used in this thread a few times about this kit, is one. I suspect to English speakers outside the UK (in Australia or NZ, and possibly the US... not sure), it simply means "made a mistake"; whereas to those of us in the UK the term does tend to imply something very much stronger along the lines  of  "to make a total mess of something," or "to completely ruin something".  And as such has the potential to cause some strong reactions.

Just sayin' .... another case of divided by a common language? 🤔

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

I guess it works in both directions.  I just spent a month in England and could never quite reconcile myself to the local abuse of the word "coffee".

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, RJP said:

I guess it works in both directions.  I just spent a month in England and could never quite reconcile myself to the local abuse of the word "coffee".

😉

You think that’s bad? Try being a Briton who loves coffee not tea! The horror!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I drink both and it is possible to get good coffee, although rare. For home I buy coffee beans from an independent tea and coffee merchant. The worse coffee I have ever had is in the US, weak and no body. 

Back to the Sunderland, looks like some fit issues  and parts in the wrong place or should not be their at all. Having said that, it is probably still better than the Airfix Mk3 and how much of the interior can be seen?