1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

I feel that this is going to sell well. I hope they make enough!

At the risk of being pelted with fruit; I bought the Italeri one, and the Italeri Stirling, quite a financial outlay.

In both cases I was a little disappointed. I don't like the 'panel line' effect that's there. Admittedly, I'm more unhappy with it on the Stirling.

I wanted one with a surface that looked closer to the way Stirlings really do in photographs, not one that looks like it has wings made of paving stones. My paternal grandfather was on Sunderlands, so although thankful of a new kit; a bit disappointed. I had made the Airfix one as a Christmas present years ago, it was a little tired and broken. I never had the mojo to do the Italeri one before he passed.

One day. Maybe an Italeri/Airfix kitbash :hmmm: .

The lack of good interior detail on the Italeri Sunderland was a real disappointment. It's so good to see this Special Hobby kit with a nice interior.

I have never seen a Sunderland up close, but maybe those that have can comment on this:

From photographs and plans I have, Sunderlands look like they have quite an interesting surface on the fuselage sides? It doesn't have the 'modern day kit default' look of panel lines, but it does have a fairly regular pattern of plates.I would be interested to see it reproduced in scale model form.

Maybe I'm seeing this incorrectly. It looks interesting, different to other aircraft, but I may be wrong.

I hope this is released before Christmas. Sunderlands just seem to command the main focus of attention on the modelling shelf. Lovely things, they are :heart: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Aww man.  I really want a post-War MkV but where am I going to put it?  I don't know what I should be more worried about, the rafters under my office or my poor wallet.    

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Obviously they want this kit as right and accurate as possible,

Also I think they wanted to wait til the Italeri kit is off from our attention.

It looks good to my eye so this time they'll get my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Some news:

http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/12/sh72162-short-sunderland-zkusebni.html

Google trad:

While some modellers, especially on Facebook, it may seem that the project Sunderland asleep but the opposite is true. It's just a complicated project and we can't just focus on him. Our nástrojáři have tried one of the forms on the wing of Sunderland. Trial molding you can see in the photos. Still, we will modify the surface of the molding, and we have to try fitting the wings to the fuselage. If it will be without problems, so you'll get Sunderland in the next year.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I waited I don't remember how many years for Special Hobby to release the RCAF Digby version of their B-18. Just today, I ordered their Canadian-Vickers Delta. That's been a couple years since it was first mentioned.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...