1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

7 minutes ago, dalea said:

Hmm. Mk.1 gun hatches?

And also fuselage inserts without Mk.I gun hatches.

Special Hobby like to get the most out of their moulds, witness the recent P-40E/K/M/N series.  Likewise their Mirage F.1's have a lot on the sprues which are intended for different versions.

I'll be very happy with a proper Mk.5, I've always wanted to do a post war one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dalea said:

Hmm. Mk.1 gun hatches?

Yes, At one point, a while ago, SH promised all marks of the Sunderland. Don’t know if Italeri’s release of two earlier marks have thrown cold water on those plans or not. Signs of Mk I parts gives hope. IMHO Italieri’s rather deep panel lines create an opening for a full line from SH.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Which mark should I aim for as a basis of a civil version? Quite fancy an overall white Sunderland sans shooting irons.

Tony

Either a Mk III or Mk V for conversion to Hythe or Sandringham, or for just a transport version of a Sunderland,

again either Mk III or V.

Just bear in mind that a one size fits all approach taken for the SH Sunderland will not give

you both.

The SH hobby has the engine nacelle mounting facings representing a Mk III/ Pegasus XVIII,

where as the Mk V had shorter mountings faces for the PW R1830 engine/engine bearers.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Just bear in mind that a one size fits all approach taken for the SH Sunderland will not give

you both.

The SH hobby has the engine nacelle mounting facings representing a Mk III/ Pegasus XVIII,

where as the Mk V had shorter mountings faces for the PW R1830 engine/engine bearers.

That's disappointing but there is hope, if you go to their homepage, there's a tab in the bottom RH corner of the page, I used it to inform them about the correct nose length of the Meteor NF.14 and for enquiries about their forthcoming Super Mystère and had pretty positive responses each time.  If you have useful information I'm sure they would want to hear it.

6 hours ago, dalea said:

Maybe it's just me but I can't find any sign or sight of the  actual engines.

It's not just you, that's what I looked for too, obviously on another sprue.  It would be nice to see the options.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, LDSModeller said:

you both.

According to Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight (where ML814 currently resides) website a large number of Pegasus engined aircraft were converted to PW engines because the PW engine gave propeller feathering capability. ML814 itself underwent this conversion. The PW engine installation was very similar to that on the PBY (again according to Weeks). So I question whether the mountings were really shorter because that would have made the conversion much more complicated.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

According to Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight (where ML814 currently resides) website a large number of Pegasus engined aircraft were converted to PW engines because the PW engine gave propeller feathering capability. ML814 itself underwent this conversion. The PW engine installation was very similar to that on the PBY (again according to Weeks). So I question whether the mountings were really shorter because that would have made the conversion much more complicated.

Kermit Weeks "Sunderland" is no more a Sunderland than a AVRO Lancastrian is a Lancaster

Bomber

In 1963 RNZAF Mk V/MR5 Sunderland NZ4108 was sold to an Australian Airline, where it was

converted to a Sandringham. Because the work was not done at Shorts it could not be

called a Sandringham - Realistically the only real Sunderland parts are probably the floats.

Certainly some 88 Mk III's were converted to Mk V, but they did not retain the engine mounts

used for the Bristol Pegasus Mk XVIII engine - the mounting fairing is longer, you can see it in

these photo links

Pegasus XVIII Nacelle

Pegasus XVIII Nacelle 1

Pegasus XVIII Nacelle 2

MkV/MR5 Engine mount is quite different, as you can see in this photo link

Mk V Nacelle/Engine Mount fire wall

Sunderland NZ4108 (prev ML814) - Sandringham Conversion Rose Bay

NZ4108 landing Rose bay NSW Australia

NZ4108

Here you can see the actual Mk V Nacelle/Engine Mount retained - NOTE Not a Mk III mount

NZ4108 Conversion to Sandringham

As far as feathering Mk III propellers, from the Short Sunderland Mk III M&E manual

the Sunderland III Aircraft Four Pegasus XVIII Engines manual (A.P. 1566C) Volume 1

Early Production Mk III Sunderland
D.H. 5/28, 3 bladed variable pitch (20 degree bracket type) with constant speed control.

Later Production Mk III Sunderland
D.H. DR. 2/345/2, 3 Bladed variable pitch, with constant speed control feathering.

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2

With Moson Model Show taking place on 27-28th April could it be an opportunity to get a few  Sunderlands fresh from the mould.

The price of the kit is one thing, and then you have the resin and p/e extras that double the total...

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

With Moson Model Show taking place on 27-28th April could it be an opportunity to get a few  Sunderlands fresh from the mould.

The price of the kit is one thing, and then you have the resin and p/e extras that double the total...

Not a huge fan of resin and don't use PE much at all (maybe the occasional seatbelt, but most of my canopies are closed). So maybe I can at least save on half of the price damage! :coat:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Not a huge fan of resin and don't use PE much at all (maybe the occasional seatbelt, but most of my canopies are closed). So maybe I can at least save on half of the price damage! :coat:

Given that the current Resin and PE for the current Sunderland models

is pure fiction, and I have no doubt that any aftermarket for the SH Mk V would be

just a s fictitious, you may as well save your money

Edited by LDSModeller

16 hours ago, dalea said:

Oh, since I've just ordered some Mk 1 cowlings on spec., what's the matter with them?

Given that the Mk I had the inner Port Exhaust pipe goes through the leading edge

of the wing, and exit above the wing Then the Exhausts are wrong

If you are trying to portray later Mk I, that may have had engine

upgrades then they should have really have the Porcupine Exhausts

Sunderland Mk I porcupine exhausts

On 2/18/2019 at 2:48 AM, LDSModeller said:

Given that the current Resin and PE for the current Sunderland models

is pure fiction, and I have no doubt that any aftermarket for the SH Mk V would be

just a s fictitious, you may as well save your money

Thing is; when a model is sat on your shelf or a table at a model show or even a competition table does it really matter how accurate say a PE interior is given that nobody really cares or is knowledgeable to know otherwise but the builder has had the satisfaction of using said PE to refine his model however accurate and only you and a few other experts will know any better?

Mike

• Like 2

I am so looking forward to this kit and now that I`ve seen the decal options I know which one I will be building too.....nice one Special Hobby...... bring it on!!!

Cheers

Tony