1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

15 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Are you referring to me and my comments?

Not at all. I have been waiting for a Mk.5 for years. My granddad worked on them in North Africa with 95 sqn during the war. I will buy one in a heartbeat when it's released. Keep up the great work.

43 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Not at all. I have been waiting for a Mk.5 for years. My granddad worked on them in North Africa with 95 sqn during the war. I will buy one in a heartbeat when it's released. Keep up the great work.

No Worries :D

I know SH have not been happy with me, but having said that (just quitely) they did

have free access to photos and technical manuals/information, so they should have got it right.

I grew up on a Short Sunderland base here in Auckland where my Dad worked on MR5's (post war MkV).

I too have been waiting for a Mk V to build my collection -would have been nice to have a shake

in the box Sunderland for once ;)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting closer :D

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/05/172-sunderland-another-tooling-block.html

1/72 Sunderland – another tooling block tested

Today, our toolmakers produced several test shots from another tooling block of our 1/72 Sunderland project. We might be tempted to describe this tooling as bringing “smaller parts”, but try to realize that some of these smaller parts are the size of a 1/72 WW2 fighter aircraft wing.

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg DSC_0352.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

Hmmm... comes with top turret, top turret blanked off, beam guns, and beam guns blanked off, plus the two planing steps. So all they need to do is chuck a sprue of Pegasus engines and cowlings in, and everybody's happy!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

So all they need to do is chuck a sprue of Pegasus engines and cowlings in, and everybody's happy!

As long as it includes the Sandringham nose and tail fairings ... and the cabin windows ...

15 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Hmmm... comes with top turret, top turret blanked off, beam guns, and beam guns blanked off, plus the two planing steps. So all they need to do is chuck a sprue of Pegasus engines and cowlings in, and everybody's happy!

When the Upper Turret was deleted on later Mk III's and Mk V's, the fairing (which it is) had an additional

hatch added, the hole was not blanke off. SH really screwed up this one:wonder:

See my comments on Seawings per below link, (save having to type it here again) and scroll down to my comments today

SH Sunderland comments

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

When the Upper Turret was deleted on later Mk III's and Mk V's, the fairing (which it is) had an additional

See my comments on Seawings per below link, (save having to type it here again) and scroll down to my comments today

SH Sunderland comments

Regards

Alan

My italics, but steady on.  This is Czech company (not many flying boats there) and not having English as their mother tongue.  I don't know how they research, or what resources they have to do so.  Most probably relying on printed matter (not always accurate) and perhaps, perhaps not, ever actually seeing an example in real life.  Even then, they would be unlikely to be able to see all of the variants they aspire to model.

Let's 'invert' the situation.  A New Zealand company modelling a wartime Czech aircraft, for which an example, though not exactly the same variant exists in, say, Slovakia.  Any documentation, such as it is, is faded, tattered, in Czech, and nobody around seems to speak English.  I think you will get what I'm trying to convey.

We should be grateful, most grateful, to those who on probably fairly limited resources, tool subjects that the Mainstream Companies have yet to undertake.  The occasional error is to be expected: they are, after all, only human.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Denford said:

My italics, but steady on.  This is Czech company (not many flying boats there) and not having English as their mother tongue.  I don't know how they research, or what resources they have to do so.  Most probably relying on printed matter (not always accurate) and perhaps, perhaps not, ever actually seeing an example in real life.  Even then, they would be unlikely to be able to see all of the variants they aspire to model.

Let's 'invert' the situation.  A New Zealand company modelling a wartime Czech aircraft, for which an example, though not exactly the same variant exists in, say, Slovakia.  Any documentation, such as it is, is faded, tattered, in Czech, and nobody around seems to speak English.  I think you will get what I'm trying to convey.

We should be grateful, most grateful, to those who on probably fairly limited resources, tool subjects that the Mainstream Companies have yet to undertake.  The occasional error is to be expected: they are, after all, only human.

Problem was, they did have access to resources and a real Mk V/MR5 Sunderland flying boat - so I'm not just

mouthing off.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

SH Sunderland comments

Regards

Alan

And can I ask how many references you supplied to SH regarding the Sunderland. ? 

Ken

"really screwed up" seems a bit extreme.

There's an issue here, people that work on, or have close affinity to a particular aircraft type, know all the details.

There are aircraft that I have worked on, where I know that available kits have errors, or compromises for production.

But to expect all these details to be incorporated on a kit is just unrealistic.  Limited resources (money/time) for research & development, production reasoning, sales forecasts, and final kit retail price will all have their effect on the development of a kit.

Those that know can scratch build the details in if needed, or, as long as the whole thing appears like what we as individuals know or see then that is reasonable enough as well.

I'm just thankful that there will be a Sunderland MR.5 kit available.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Ken said:

And can I ask how many references you supplied to SH regarding the Sunderland. ? 

Ken

More than you will ever know - how do you think they got a such a interior as they did.......

MPMFlightDeckcopy_zps4542250e.jpg

MPMLowerDeckcopy_zps850ca08e.jpg

Some of that they used, some they didn't - I'm not fussed about that

Yes I am aware of molding restrictions, but that section where the turret was deleted was

something simple to do

But hey what do I know, like every one else I just wanted a reasonably accurate MkV, even that I could add to my self

it becomes disappointing when you do supply accurate information and its ignored.

I say no more on this, I'll leave it to you folks like you to discuss

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

More than you will ever know - how do you think they got a such a interior as they did.......

MPMFlightDeckcopy_zps4542250e.jpg

MPMLowerDeckcopy_zps850ca08e.jpg

Some of that they used, some they didn't - I'm not fussed about that

Yes I am aware of molding restrictions, but that section where the turret was deleted was

something simple to do

But hey what do I know, like every one else I just wanted a reasonably accurate MkV, even that I could add to my self

it becomes disappointing when you do supply accurate information and its ignored.

I say no more on this, I'll leave it to you folks like you to discuss

You misinterpreted my response.  If you (as did I and many other no doubt) actually supplied references then criticism of how that information is interpreted is justified.  The individuals that I object to are those who stand back and complain about so-called 'accuracy' without either being directly involved or use a micrometer or a magnifying glass to justify their opinions without actually buying or building a kit 

Ken

hi all ,

I was quite pleased to "fondle 'n' chat " to the Sunderland at DUXFORD in May 2014.

....much to the embarise of my Non Everything Modellin' Brother in Law.    g.g.m.s. !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• 1 month later...

This is the artwork for the forthcoming Special Hobby (SH72162) 1/72ND Sunderland GR.Mk.V kit, said to be a 2017 release,...... I deffo want one of these!;

Boxart Short Sunderland Mk.V SH72162 Special Hobby

• Like 9