1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

Despite the recent release of the Italeri's Sunderland Mk.I (review: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234927542), the Special Hobby Short Sunderland Mk.V project seems going on.

Some CAD drawings are proposed in ModelForum: http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=97&p=1362198#p1362198

Future kit reference is SH72162.

Wait and see.

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for posting.

I know that they are only CAD drawings and subject to change (for the better

hopefully) Special Hobby R & D Team hopefully will take note of the following

Few things, not right:

Bunks in the bomb bay?

Bombs should be 250 lb depth charges

The rear deck actually doesn't look like that with the beam positions.

Flight deck looks good But, Why do these manufacturers insit on thinking

that the position behind Second Pilot (Starboard) has curtains and has door way

appearance??

The rear of the radio postion does not have a solid appearance.

Why do they have a drawing of a Vickers gas Operated K gun and mount,

by the time the Mk V came along bow turret boasted twin .303s.

On the plus side the lower deck looks really good - Well done Special Hobby,

even has the bulkhead by stairwell and the step down to lower deck :goodjob:

Be interested to see what else they come with.

Look forward to more

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2

Have you thought that the inclusion of the early turret might indicate 2 versions in the offing ? An early III a.k.a. Airfix and a V ?

Ken

That's a possibility looking at the rear deck section that would work as the Mk III, the MkV had

different rear deck section at the point where you "step up" wonder if Special hobby would include both?

Early production and later production Mk III's used the same type turret (FN-11) where as the Mk IIIa

and Mk V came with a type of Curran Brockhouse turret.

If Special Hobby had planned a Mk III also, then there hopefully should be a set of Pegasus XVIII's included

in the kit.

EDIT: Did a Google traslate of the comments in the above link and as much of what came through in English,

there is a suggestion of a Mk III, so we'll wait and see.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

I think the main clue is in the 2 types of nose turret being shown although I doubt if it is a Brockhouse turret as that was developed for the Seaford (Sunderland IV) As I said in my previous reply, I think we could be looking at the III, a IIIA and V which will take us from the mid-War period right up to the end of its service life. Can you imagine the various combinations of national markings ?

Exchange of views is always good

Ken

I think the main clue is in the 2 types of nose turret being shown although I doubt if it is a Brockhouse turret as that was developed for the Seaford (Sunderland IV) As I said in my previous reply, I think we could be looking at the III, a IIIA and V which will take us from the mid-War period right up to the end of its service life. Can you imagine the various combinations of national markings ?

Exchange of views is always good

Ken

Yes, exchange of views is always good.

I am aware that a Curran Brockhouse turret was used for the Seaford (actually only Curran Brockhouse Mk I),

which is why I said "type", if you compare the photo link and photo of the real Mk V turret, they look similar.

Curran Brockhouse style

http://forum.axishis...le.php?id=15034

Mk V turret

Sundybow100_1167copy.jpg

If Special Hobby execute a model to render either Mk III, Mk IIIa or Mk V all in one box or even as sepearte

models, I think a lot of modellers will be happy :yahoo:

As for markings, there's no doubt in my mind what I will build a few Mk V's (or MR5) as. If Special Hobby

only provide RAF or French ( including post war) then that's not a problem, Ventura make a great set of

RNZAF decals.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

• 1 year later...

Look at the missing parts where the step and the upper gun positions would be. Presumably this is precisely the same tooling as in the Italeri Mk.I, as this wouldn't be needed without being compatible with the early marks..

I don't have the Italeri kit, but online images of the sprues show nothing in common with these SH mouldings.

Cheers,

Bill.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In progress

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/02/sh72162-short-sunderland-mkv-zkusebni.html

Short Sunderland Mk.V in 1/72 (SH72162) – new galvanic mould fuselage testshots

In early December last year, we showed the 1/72 Short Sunderland galvanic mould shells here (as well as the same moulds for our 1/48 Siebel Si 204 / Aero C-3 kit). Not even three months have passed and we are able to showcase the very first testshot of the 1/72 Sunderland fuselage parts. As it is only a testshot, we are going to tune up the moulds further, polish them etc...

IMG_5075.JPGIMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPGIMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5069.JPGIMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPGIMG_5072.JPG

V.P
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 10

We had ONE Sunderland kit for years and I mean, Years.

Seems with the release of the iTALERIA  kit we have a new kid on the block and now . . . .

Is this as accurate as the real thing ??

It is a good thing when we have manufacturers producing such aircraft, there must be a market  for it

Wouldn't mind one of these hopefully not much longer.

Guy

The main challenge I see with this if done in the normal SH way is fitting the port hole windows. Can anyone confirm if there is a lip to the windows to help secure them better or are they just push fit that with clumbsy fingers like mine will result in them pushing through.

that aside, it looks like a great kit.

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

The main challenge I see with this if done in the normal SH way is fitting the port hole windows. Can anyone confirm if there is a lip to the windows to help secure them better or are they just push fit that with clumbsy fingers like mine will result in them pushing through.

that aside, it looks like a great kit.

Just don't use the windows!

Use Micro Kristal Klear white glue instead.

Have a look here

On 28/02/2017 at 5:48 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Is this as accurate as the real thing ??

It is a good thing when we have manufacturers producing such aircraft, there must be a market  for it

The kit has the right number of Portholes in the forward lower section (9 Port & 10 Starboard).

I'm guessing the third porthole Starboard side upper and rear (both sides) is for a Mk I/II

Without measuring the Porthole diameter, hard to tell if the smaller ones are 4.2mm (1/72) and the larger are

4.86mm (1/72) for opening portholes, and not 5.2mm (1/72) which is the actual diameter of the whole porthole outer.

If building a Mk V/MR5 the forward and rear main hatches/doors should have cuts outs in the doors with perspex

inserts for crash axe and fire extinguisher as in this photo from my collection.

NZ4114%20L%20for%20Larry%20copy_zpssooud

Close up of Crash Axe section clear perspex

FILE0226%20copy_zpshzd01gcl.jpg

The forward section of the Radio station bulkhead is pretty accurate........

I note the fuselage sides have the mooring bollards moulded  as indented (which is correct), but note, some

Mk V/MR5's actually had retractable types (not a major).

Until I get my hands on one, hard to say about the rest, but looks pretty good thus far looking at the photos.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

On 01/03/2017 at 0:57 AM, DIO said:

Just don't use the windows!

Use Micro Kristal Klear white glue instead.

Have a look here

They are rather large windows to fill with Klear but may be a good option. I've had issues getting a nice flat look in the past though as it tends to be thicker around the edges and thinner in the middle when dried

• 3 weeks later...

Another test sprue.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/03/sh72162-sunderland-172-testovaci.html

1/72 Sunderland (SH72162) – engine cowling frame test shot

The moulding tool with the Sunderland engine cowlings, wing tip floats and other smaller items has almost been finished and a set of test shots have been run showing only few trouble points requiring our toolmakers´attention. We showcased this sprue along with the fuselage shots during last weekend model contest in Prague.

IMG_5284.JPG IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG IMG_5287.JPG

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Sigh...... Modellers are going to have to redo the frontal profile of the float

Real thing

4c0baf36.jpg

Special Hobby offering

IMG_5287.JPG

<_<;) Depend on how accurate you want your model????

Regards

Alan