BRAND NEW 1/72 737-200 Injection Molded Kit!

What's to see? It's a long clear strip that goes in the molded in recess in the fuselage. You apply the provided pre-cut vinyl window masks, then paint. Pull off the masks, and you have clear windows. Not much to it...

Pre-cut vinyl masks????Nice!!!

Thanks for the remark PMG Offramp.

Edited by mirrage

Pre-painted vinyl masks????Nice!!!

Pre-cut, a bit like the yellow masks Tamiya provides in their 1:24 car kits, for window masking as well, or Eduard's mask.

I am wondering if there will be provisions for silver window frame decals ? They are much visible, especially in that scale.

Cheers, Steven

One problem with the windows like that is that they are flush and are just going to be clear spaces on a strip.

They should be slightly indented and show wall thickness through the glass too.

In this scale, cut out windows is the only proper way to do it.

One question I would like to ask is how is the vinyl going to be positioned so is straight and the spaces are the same, when I was in sign writing we used to cut the shapes on a cutter plotter then we would weed the vinyl which is just taking the vinyl away we don't need from the backing paper then laying tape over this, this was turned over and then the paper from the cut vinyl was peeled away leaving the pattern on the paper this was then positioned on the surface and rubbed down, and then the paper was then peeled away leaving the vinyl pattern on the surface, long winded I know but if you have done sign writing you will know what I mean.

One problem with the windows like that is that they are flush and are just going to be clear spaces on a strip.

They should be slightly indented and show wall thickness through the glass too.

Well, that's very much open to debate. As noted, there is no perfect solution to this problem. What's "the only way" to you was deemed not to be technically the best way, nor economically viable. If you do an airplane with a different window arrangement (eg: 737-200C), then you'd have to have a completely different fuselage half. No economically viable. Also, the indented depth on the real window might be as much as 1-2mm on the real airplane. Maybe. Do you want to try to measure 0.0278 mm on the model?

Believe me when I tell you, this was pondered. There's *always* more than one way to skin a cat. Is it perfect? No. But then no kit ever has been. Would you have preferred a solid plastic fuselage and decal windows? Some people will tell you that's "the only way" to do it.

J

One question I would like to ask is how is the vinyl going to be positioned so is straight and the spaces are the same

I think you're WAAAAAAY over-thinking this. If a piece of self-adhesive vinyl with the windows cut out at the correct (not "the same") intervals is placed on the model with reference to panel lines, then the excess is pulled away, the window masks will remain in exactly the right position. It really isn't that mind-bendingly difficult to do.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Find it very hard to get excited about an airliner I'm afraid. Still, it might disprove that "airliners don't sell"

So why then are you reading about a new model of an airliner in the airliners part of the forum? Not being rude, but I've no interest in armour so I don't go into their forums and say things like that!

Like I said I'm not being rude just curious?

Jeff

• Like 1

So why then are you reading about a new model of an airliner in the airliners part of the forum? Not being rude, but I've no interest in armour so I don't go into their forums and say things like that!

Like I said I'm not being rude just curious?

Jeff

Because this is a discussion & I believe I'm entitled to contribute regardless of my personal interest. 1/72 airliners are rarer than honest politicians so, I was curious to see what the fuss was about.

thats a bit harsh - I like seeing what modellers who dont build airliners think...you never know, it may lead to somebody who hasn't, doing one. Especially if the airliner concerned has military applications.

which the 737 does.

Windows - provided that clear strip fits well and the masks are right then it should be fine...just need to work out what goes inside; I couldn't possibly build one without a cabing interior....

Still, it might disprove that "airliners don't sell"

You clearly know absolutely *nothing* about model airliners. If they didn't sell, model kit manufacturers wouldn't do kits of them. And there are a LOT of kits, and a lot of new kits coming out fast and furious right now. So that proves my point.

Note that the kit does include separate cabin doors if you choose to cut them open and display the interior. But Pin is right - virtually nothing will be seen other than what's directly inside the door, and even that only if you shine a light in there.

...even if it doesn't add anything useful to the discussion?

Jens

Your comment certainly adds nothing useful. I happen to enjoy looking at either peoples work regardless of choice of subject. If there is a forum rule that prohibits this, then perhaps you could post a copy here for my enlightenment

Find it very hard to get excited about an airliner I'm afraid. Still, it might disprove that "airliners don't sell"

If it was a 1/72nd scale A320 or something similar then maybe but it's a pig-200 which to me is a classic you don't see much of nowadays! It's great that it's been done in 1/72 IMO.

Edited by Radleigh

Thought I read somewhere that the cabin on the 737 was the same size as the 707 so if you have one of the Heller kits, you could swap it over or use it to cast up some additionals.

Also thought I saw an aftermarket set for an interior for the Welsh Models kit but can't find anything right now so may be mistaken.

If it was a 1/72nd scale A320 or something similar then maybe but it's a pig-200 which to me is a classic you don't see much of nowadays! It's great that it's been done in 1/72 IMO.

Fair comment. Also, I apologise unreservedly for the poor choice of words on my part.

Kev67

You're right of course!. It IS just a kit! :D

Despite Jennings assertion, I actually DO know a fair bit about airliner modelling - I used to build nothing else until I turned to the dark side!! :D . I got bored with them!! Largely due to very limited choice at the time. Also, I don't like 1/144 which is the main choice of scale. I'm afraid I'm probably too long in the tooth now to change. I accept that things are different now but,after all this time I still find it hard to get excited about airliners and, I suggest they will never be as popular as military subjects.

For what it's worth, I'm pleased that airliner enthusiasts are happy. Just doesn't float my boat.

The Heller 707 doesn't come with a cabin interior :(

Contrails does an interior for the Heller DC-6 which can also be used with their DC-7 conversion kits. It looks wonderful, but unless you install lighting nothing of it will be seen except maybe some seat backs in the windows.

Interior is not only the cabin.... :coolio:

It's also the holds.... and the galleys... so even if nothing is visible through the windows (you can even put a photograph in the inside of the windows) you could build the galleys and holds. and have it with the doors open. Given the 1/72 scale, ground equipment can be found from the military sets and with minor (?!) surgery could pass as civil. The GPUs and such at least...

Although I would like an 1/72 Airbus A320, if I had to choose only one, I would still go with the 732 as it's a classic!

Your comment certainly adds nothing useful. I happen to enjoy looking at either peoples work regardless of choice of subject. If there is a forum rule that prohibits this, then perhaps you could post a copy here for my enlightenment

You are changing the subject - my post was a reply to why you had to make a comment that adds nothing useful to a thread while making you look like a fool. There is nothing wrong with admiring other people's work, but you don't have to comment on it, and I find it inconsiderate to the poster and those who enjoy reading this thread about merits of a model kit into something that is pointless and negative. There are of course no rules against this so I will immediately head over to the WW1 forum to tell them that I am not the slightest interested in biplanes...

Interesting poiints about the interior.

It is worth mentioning that Military bombers sometimes come with full interiors in the behind cockpit and over the bombay etc and they have less chance of being seen than an airliner.

Some modellers enjoy doing it nonetheless and have satisfaction in the making up and the knowledge it is there.

It would be nice if someone would make interior basics like seats in a few styles and scales to add if they so wish and could inspire some to make an airlines as they could cut it away and show all that rather than the tube that modern airliners tend to be.

High detail could be scratched but having some basics might well open up the market a bit and encourage folk to scratch build a bit.