Hasegawa 1/48 Bf-109G-6

First entry for the GB. This is the third boxing of this kit that I have, so it made me grab it off the shelf and have a crack. First G-6 for the cabinet too.

References I will be using for both my planned builds:

001-22.jpg

The kit and the aftermarket all together:

006-27.jpg

The chosen decal option, plain in some ways, but love the spinner colours, the main reason I am going with it:

007-21.jpg

The aftermarket close up. Need to also get some exhausts but will grab some this weekend at the Sydney model show or on Ebay in the near future:

008-27.jpg

And inside the box. Bought on Ebay on the cheap, it apparently had been picked up by the seller at a garage sale, that explains the parts out of the bags and the general mess in the box:

009-17.jpg

Should be right to start her in a few weeks or sooner, all depends on progress on the in-progress Bf-108. Can't wait!

Edited by kpc7676

I wouldn't call the two Planes and Pilots books (upper left and upper middle) references. They are horrible and highly fictional. I have both but use them only for inspiration, not as references. :)

Jens

I wouldn't call the two Planes and Pilots books (upper left and upper middle) references. They are horrible and highly fictional. I have both but use them only for inspiration, not as references. :)

Jens

Yeah, agree in some ways, but they can provide some good referencing in the short text at the start of each section and some of the profiles look just fine to me when you compare them to decal or kit instructions. And we all need some inspiration now don't we.

Edited by kpc7676

• 2 weeks later...

And we're away!

I really love the simplistic lay out of these kits, and the detail you can get with a very little bit of extra time is amazing. So, after a small hour or so yesterday and another half hour today, here's where I stand:

004-35.jpg

And more detail pics below:

001-23.jpg

Sidewallls

002-26.jpg

Seat (cut off the moulded seat and added an Ultracast resin seat, really nice detail and so easy to paint up)

003-29.jpg

Floor (added some thin lead wire down either side of the floor)

All parts painted with Gunze black grey and dry brushed with silver. Will add some pastels a bit later and then seal everything with a flat coat.

Next up will be the completion of the cockpit build then onto the wings. Should be into painting real quick...maybe I can get three done in the GB timeframe...dare me!

And sorry for the pic quality, photos courtesy of my I Phone 4s, good in some ways, but not good for modelling detail pics.

Edited by kpc7676

Some more progress.

Cockpit together, love the fit here, sensational stuff Hasegawa:

003-30.jpg

005-28.jpg

The radiator grills attached:

006-28.jpg

The wheel wells cut out to accurately represent the G model, getting the corners squared off as opposed to round:

007-22.jpg

And the scribed panel lines added to the outer wing section:

008-28.jpg

Next step is to get the cockpit in and the fuselage together.

Some progress:

Fuse now together and wings attached

001-24.jpg

Cockpit detail without seat fixed, this will come at the end

003-31.jpg

A smallish gap to the wingroot, nothing a little bit of Mr Surfacer can't fix

005-29.jpg

And a little bit of putty for the front of the cowling top, a little step needed to be catered for

006-29.jpg

Hope to put a little more time in this week as I am off work after some sinus surgery late last week, but all depends on how I am feeling day to day.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress. The kit is ready for painting in these shots after some serious issues with the radiator exhaust flap fit. I did the dumb thing of sticking the two halves fully together prior to fitting, meaning I needed to slowly peel them back post gluing to have them properly sit in place. Those who know Hasegawa 109s in 48 scale should know what I am talking about, the instructions do not do proper justice of the area and this is the second time that I have been tricked. Another area of concern for me was the wing cannon bulges that mount above the wheelwells. As I found out, you need to be really careful to ensure you don't drill right the way through the wing and end up having to putty the inside of the well afterwards, it was a difficult job. And finally, as can be seen in the photos, on my kit the intake on the port side of the nose did not fit flush with the fuselage positioning guide, a little weird but not really that noticeable. Anyways, I have fixed all issues and the kit in these photos has all areas patched up with Mr Surfacer and some putty and is ready for some paint.

001-27.jpg

002-28.jpg

003-33.jpg

I have since applied a black panel line spray and have done the blue undersides. I will post pics hopefully tomorrow of this and the top paint that I hope to be able to paint tomorrow. I have also completed the propeller, looks great, pics to come with the main painting ones hopefully tomorrow.

Catch you all soon.

Edited by kpc7676

Paint is on. Had a few issues with the mottling, but reasonably happy. The right wing edges are sharper than the left, mainly due to the instructions which indicated straight line demarcations on the right wing versus the left.

010-15.jpg

011-15.jpg

014-13.jpg

015-11.jpg

The prop, all good bar a small yellow patch which needs to be patched, aiming to do that tonight.

019-4.jpg

And positioned on the airframe.

021-3.jpg

Looking good at this stage for maybe a finish by the end of the year...all going well, and then onto that 109E-4.

Decals on. A few issues with one of the crosses on the top wing that needed plenty of knife pricks to allow micro set to get underneath it to get rid of the silvering. Will need a light sanding with a super fine sanding pad at the end to smooth out the pin spots. Next is the panel line wash, undercarriage painting, weathering and then final construction. Not my best effort, but still reasonably happy with it. And may not start the other 109 for the GB, as the Meng 410 is waiting for me to start on.

016-5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished.

Sorry for not putting much into the last parts of the build, but our wireless connection went slow for the final week of December and then we lost all connectivity for a couple of days.

Happy with the result, though a few things are not 100% how I wanted them. Really went to town with pastels and silver chipping on this one, as I reckon she would have looked a little worn out from some hard work defending the Reich.

Anyways, onto the pics, more pics in the gallery.

003-35.jpg

007-25.jpg

010-17.jpg

011-17.jpg

014-14.jpg