Alley cat Bf109B conversion

Looking good buddy,

First time I noticed the RB belts have a toothed edge to make the stitching...thanks for that! Actually just checked mine and yours must be an upgraded edition. No toothed edge on the fret nor mention of "Gator Grip". Not a big deal to fix but obviously RB has addressed the "issue".

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Hi Stu

First tip if attempting a major conversion is to have a look at what the major plastic kit manufacturess are planning or like me you will spend loads of dosh on the conversion only to find revell or dragon bring it out as a kit . I did the Fusion Ta152 covesion and the 48 special models conversion for the Fw190/Ta 154 Mistel .

Converting is addictive though as i now convert or scratchbuild something on most kits i make .

Do not use a dremel for the cutting ,far to brutal.

Im now going to start another post for some pics.

Cheers mate will bear that in mind :) Looks like airfix might be giving us all an easier path to a decent 1:48 mk XIV spit if they are releasing that PRXIX next year but then what would i do with the academy mkXIV...

Do like trying my hand at a bit of scratchbuilding but its mostly small details at the mo.

Anyways great progress so far and looking forward to the next installment,

Cheers, Stu

This is good stuff, I have the kit and conversion but have never had the guts to go of it as I've never built anything this size before (normally I stick to 1/72 types). with this build to guide me I might have a go sooner than I thought.

Duncan B

P.S. I do remember asking Ally to do this conversion in the smaller scales when it first came out but to no avail :(

• 2 weeks later...

Im back after a little matter of clearing up after a little flood. P1130212.jpg

Seems like weeks ago that i posted so keen to get back on track .

We only had about 20mm water but thats enough to F**K laminate flooring . Only modeling casualties were my Revell 1/32 Ju88 in box which got very soaked but no big prob.

Back to the matter in hand, the 109b conversion. I have been makeing some progress even over the past two weeks as therapy and i can tell you that this is no easy conversion . The instructions seem to be interperated in two ways .

1. The fuselarge front is cut back to the recess that holds the plastic cowl in place allowing the front resin nose to simply attach to the engine bulkhead with resulting large gap to fill and total miss alinement of wing leading edge

Two builds can be seen http://www.modelingm...r/g/tmc109b.htm

http://sparforums.co...o/page__st__180

The last build seems to have hit some problems when the wings were attached .

P1130223.jpg I have gone for a different method that seems to have worked well (for the most part )

I cemeted the fuselarge and wings together so i could do plenty of dry fits with the assembled nose parts . The photo shows where i have opend up the wing leading edge on the Right side as the depth from top to bottom was around 1mm less than on the left side.

To get a good fit i have snded the inside of the nose so that it fits over the bulkhead P1130221.jpg

P1130222.jpg so far i must have carried out over 40 dry fits to bring the parts close together. It has been most satisfying to see the gaps gradually shrink away . Tomorrow is joining day so will post the pics then

glad to now be back on board :)

Great to see you back. You could always sneak the Ju 88 in the floatplane build :winkgrin: . Just kidding.

I will have a look out tomorrow for the pictures.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Another long delay in keeping my build updated but there is some progress to report.

I have been working away on getting the nose on which im pleased to say is now attached . This has been one of the most tricky builds iv done and has taken lots of concentration and tweeking to get things in place. I can now think that im home and dry and now can relax with the rest of the build .

P1130236.jpg

the nose was attached with Araldite to alow plenty of time to align the parts . The aircraft was possitiond vertically in some clamps so the parts sat straight. Sorry i have no photos of this as i became very keen to keep going with construction to the detriment of the thred.

P1130237.jpg

When the glue had set gaps were filled with Milliput. A slight depresion in the resin nose was also built up with the Milliput . A few details on the plastic parts\were lost in sanding but im ok with that.

Here is a good close up of the join which now i see the pics enlarged im very happy with

P1130240.jpg

The other side P1130235.jpg

The wing leading edge was a very sound fit and the dihederal seems fine.P1130239.jpg

I have used some Albion Alloy tube for the radiator stiffening rod P1130238.jpg

The last little area to fill between wings and fuselarge i have used some Squadron green putty .

P1130241.jpg

The RB Productions belts have been installed . I will use these again for all my 1/32 builds but any scale smaller will stick to metal.

One of the 190b builds iv been following on Scale plastic and Rail forum came to a bit of a halt when the wings were offerd up to the fuselarg and nose which were joined before hand , so if you are attempting this conversion do some reserch into other builds . This other build on scale plastic and rail has gone well showing that both ( fuslarge + nose ) + wings can work well as can the method i have used (fuselarge + Wings ) = nose. http://sparforums.com/ipb/index.php?/topic/671-132-messerschmitt-bf-109v7/page__st__100

Edited by Mottlemaster

Vey nice build mate