Look what just arrived at the main gate!

bootneck

I work as a volunteer, at the Helicopter Museum at Weston Super Mare, and I was in for a treat when two lorries turned up late this afternoon transporting the parts of a Harrier GR.1.

It is not a normal GR.1 though as it is the one that was used by Rolls Royce as a test bed for supersonic harriers. This aircraft was, until recently, on display at Kemble in Gloucestershire. The aircraft serial is XV798

The harrier is being off-loaded (in the dark and in pouring rain!) to be laid up for a while outside the main hangar. I'll let you know what future plans there are for it when I find out.

I'll leave it to the real harrier enthusiasts here to provide descriptions, histories and specifications of those massive forward thrusters!

cheers

Mike

harrier-01.jpg

harrier-04.jpg

harrier-11.jpg

harrier-14.jpg

harrier-26.jpg

Just going by memory, and that only (i.e. no academic knowledge...) this configuration Harrier was in investigation circa roughly 1978, at around the same time the US AV8-C (externally identical - to my eye, other than colour scheme - to the AV8-A) was in a similar programme in the USA.

At the present, I get the feeling, in the UK at least, that project is going no further.

I believe the original airframe (GR.1) did, but not with that engine spec.

The GR.1 crashed in Germany and then Rolls Royce received it to do testing with the Plenum chamber-burning thruster prototype.

Mike

I've seen pictures of it from when it was being tested but had no idea it had survived, it's great news that it has and that it's going to be looked after!

At the recent FAA Yeovilton show, our stand was in front of the P1127 - behind which was a Pegasus engine on display.

Next to it was the BS-100 PCB engine.

The front 'hot' nozzle was nowhere near as big as the one on your Harrier though - maybe a proposed production engine?

Doh! - I've just realised that your Harrier has a BS-53 Pegasus with PCB - the engine at the FAA Museum is the definitive BS-100 - designed from the outset with PCB.

Ken