Revell / ICM Bf 109 F-4 trop, Hans-Joachim Marseille - FINISHED

Thanks Andy and Pabbi, its a nicely detailed kit for the price, though from the looks of it the Zvezda one has more detail out of the box.

The fuselage dry fit looks a little bad, but that could just be being spoilt with my last 2 builds (Hasegawa Spit mk XVI and Hobbyboss TA152) which were beautifully fitting kits.

Cheers again, Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more of an update - just realised its about halfway through the group build and i'm only just getting close to sticking the fuselage halves together!!!!

Well since last time i have stuck all the pit together

SAM_3287.jpg

And painted and matted it down

SAM_3302.jpg

Also painted and added the fual line to the RHS pit wall and matted down

SAM_3304.jpg

stuck the etch IP together and built up with the gunsight, minus the glazing for now

SAM_3309.jpg

and got on with a few other small bits - etch gear covers and added a filler nozzle and cap to the tank on the side of the engine thats going to be visible

SAM_3291.jpg

and hollowed out one set of exhaust

SAM_3292.jpg

Now if i can just sneak it all into work and get away with building it on the sly :)

Cheers, Stu

Thanks for the kind comments guys and for the heds up Phil - you wouldnt belive thats the second luft aircraft in a row that i have managed to do that on... :doh:

Luckily i was able to pry the pit off the fuse side i had glued it to and switch them over without destroying them completely, heres the pic for proof before they dissappear within the fuse forever

SAM_3328.jpg

Cheers all :)

Good job on that cockpit Stu..

Thanks guys :)

Progress has been a bit slow with the build up to christmas in full swing but managed to get a couple of bits off the list. First wanted to sort the spinner out, i have replaced the blast tube with some brass microtube and managed to add the missing panel line on the spinner with the aid of a drill and a sharp point - this is the first time i have tried using a drill as a lathe and fairly please with how its worked out, though want to get some paint on and see how it looks then :)

Before:

SAM_3317.jpg

After:

SAM_3382.jpg

Also had a go at improving the tropical filter as the one in the kit is a bit lacking. I smash moulded the end on some acetate sheet and cut into 2 parts, then drilled out the kit part and added a mesh screen from some fine plastic gauze sheet and some final detail with foil tape. Not 100% sure on what i've ended up so going to see how it looks under some paint, if not its going to be resorting to the excellent looking replacement by quickboost :)

Before:

SAM_3332.jpg

After:

SAM_3386.jpg

Thanks for looking and if i dont post anything else before, have a great christmas!

Cheers, Stu

Nice work with the "drill/lathe", have done that before. I use a small dremal and as long as you can centre and secure the parts it works well.

The tropical filter looks ok, a nice coat of paint and some shading will do wonders for it.

This is coming along very nicely.

Cheers Rich,

Modelling times been a bit sparse over christmas, not necessarily a bad thing but progress has been slow, finally got enough to post a couple of pics though.

First off completed detailing the inside of the open cowl, this was done with stretched sprue and foil tape to try to recreate the internal ribbing.

Before shot:

SAM_3385.jpg

After:

SAM_3588.jpg

Also got a bit more done on the motor:

SAM_3587.jpg

Not finished yet but hopefully once this and the engine bay are completed and together it will break the back of the fiddly stuff and i might stand a chance of finishing in time!

Cheers for looking, Stu

Cheers Kent :)

Well one more pic to show at last, have finished adding the detail to the engine bay and assembling it all and now ready for a coat of matt and putting together the rest of the cowl, hoping that it all lines up!

The basic block is quite nicely detailed but the firewall was bare so have added a lower shelf and a couple of bits that i have seen in reference pics posisbily not completely accurate but does busy it up a bit!

Also added some hoses and bits from solder masking tape and foil tape, not done a lot of scratch building to date so its a bit clunky but doesnt look too bad at 1:1 scale

Anyway, enough waffling and on with the pic

SAM_3602_zps6e6c03de.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Update time again, cant believe how much time has passed by and how little progress I have made, I hadn’t realised just how time consuming adding a full etch set would be and combined with keeping the engine exposed I think I might now struggle to get there by the deadline…still will keep plugging on and see where we get.

So progress up til last night is as follows:

After much dry fitting and tweaking and eventually shaving a fair bit off the RHS engine bearer I have got the cowl to all fit on pretty neatly, then the top and bottom fuse seams have been sanded considerably and rescribed. The bottom seam was a PITA as there is kind of a combination lip and sink mark that runs the full length so this took a bit of work to remove, the plastic is nice though and sands and glues very well. Top half of the wings have been attached to make the root joint a bit easier. Had the bright idea of getting some of the front end colour on before assembling hoping to make masking around the exhausts a bit easier but retrospectively it was probably just time wasted

SAM_3642.jpg

The spinner has been painted and the prop given a bit of chipping, though cant decide if it’s a bit overdone. I had a spare polycap from a recent build and that fitted nicely in the spinner so can push fit it on at the end and take it off if it needs a bit more work

SAM_3638.jpg

Got the etch gear covers painted as well as the gear legs. The brake lines are a combination of the etch parts and some fine solder for the coiled hose. Also added the etch parts you get for the backs of the wheels

SAM_3640.jpg

Finally I have been getting together the etch replacements for the radiators and flaps, the flaps themselves were a bit of a fun job to get together as they are very delicate and I was struggling in places to keep the carpet (or laminate floor) monster at bay but managed to do it all without losing anything in the end.

Pic of the flaps

SAM_3634.jpg

And of the lower wing with the various bits to be fitted, think these will need painting first to make life a bit easier

SAM_3636.jpg

And that’s it so far, hope to get the lower wings sorted and some primer on soon…

Cheers for looking, Stu

Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

The flaps are a killer arent they, I did those on my 109K and swore all the way through!

Cheers Phil, yes i had been kind of dreading them since i got the set and kept putting them off, waiting to see how solid they are when i get them on the model as they only attach via part of the little linkage at the rear, will have to superglue and cross my fingers...

Very nice work on the bird!

Could you please post a picture or item number of the PE set?

Cheers.

Cheers Killa, not got a piccie of the set to hand but its eduard part number ED49346 (i got it from hannants). It says its for the F-2 but as far as im aware its accurate for an F-4 as well. Theres 3 frets and a lot of bits in it so hours of fun to be had trying to fit it all :)

Cheers again all, Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Well my prayers have been answered...another week, got no excuse not to get this one done now!

Time for a bit of a progress update....

Got the seperated cowl panel complete (well bar possibly a bit of exhaust staining at the lower edge) kind of rushed this bit through as i was impatient to see how the scratch built bits on the air filter and inside of the cowl were going to look once done, also to see how the decals performed (they are great).

SAM_3715.jpg

SAM_3716.jpg

Got to say i'm pretty happy with the result, at least it was worth the time spent messing around.

Wheels are now complete so thats the landing gear ready to fit when i get to it, the tyre black is a bit close in colour to the hub so will see how it looks under a matt coat.

SAM_3714.jpg

Finally got the last main colour on last night, i used xtracrylics for the RLM04 and RLM78 and they look pretty good from the bottle. I went with humbrol 118 us tan for the RLM 79 as i had that in the paint box already and it looks a pretty good match to me. So then finally after a few days of mounting impatience i was able to take off the ever increasing layers of masking tape and see what lies beneath....

SAM_3711.jpg

SAM_3710.jpg

Hasnt come out too bad, had a bit of a worried moment on the underside where i hadnt masked far enough back when doing the wrap around on the leading edge and had oversprayed onto the blue but fortunately a bit of warm water and scotchbrite saved the day.

Also got the flaps sprayed up and couldnt resist fitting to see how they look, though i can see it being refitted by the end of the build - this is definately going to be too delicate for the kids to fly around the house :)

SAM_3712.jpg

SAM_3709.jpg

So thats where we are as of 11:30 last night. Big thanks to Andy and Mish for the extra week :)

Cheers for looking, Stu

Edited by stoohoo