Revell / ICM Bf 109 F-4 trop, Hans-Joachim Marseille - FINISHED

Hi all,

New toy turned up in the post so for the first time in my limited history of group builds might actually be able to enter at the start :)

Picked this up for under £10 posted on ebay, probably going to get the zoom etch set for the ICM kit to tart the cockpit up a bit but other than that build will be OOB

Build is going to be the Hans-Joachim Marseille option as the thread says, though feels a bit of a get out doing a luft subject with no mottling!

Anyway the gratuitous box shot...

IMG01541-20121031-1300.jpg

And heres what you get (still shows the ICM tag on the sprues) - detail looks good for the price, might even have to display it with the cowl open.

IMG01542-20121031-1313.jpg

IMG01543-20121031-1314-1.jpg

IMG01545-20121031-1314.jpg

IMG01544-20121031-1314.jpg

IMG01545-20121031-1314.jpg

IMG01546-20121031-1315.jpg

Cheers all, roll on midnight (though i do still have a TA152 on the bench that needs finishing..) :)

Edited by stoohoo

Cheers guys, the decals in this kit say printed in Italy for Revell and look nice, the last kit i finished was a revell spit mkXVI and the decals were of the same type and performed great, so hoping they wont be a problem....

IMG01547-20121031-1601.jpg

Looking forward to se this one ! I made this kit not long ago and it came together nicely only had som fit problem with engine cowling if you leave it open it will not be a problem. The decals were nice.

Thanks again lads, it does look a nice kit for the money so keen to crack into it :)

Steve - the surface detail looks nicely engraved and the plastic is fairly smooth, couple of bits of flash but nothing major. Going to get it in a soapy bath tonight and start looking at getting the engine together while i wait for the etch set that a mates colllecting from SMW for me (no chance of getting there myself with the kids, dont think anyone would be to impressed with my lad trying to fly thier displays around!! :))

Pabbi, just seen the pic in your thread - lovely build, its nice to have a bit of inspiration to work from :) Barring any major mess ups on my part will be displaying with the cowl open so hope to dodge any issues there.

Thanks again, Stu

Hi Stu

Wot no mottling :fight:

Looking through peoples schemes so far there are many not mottling (including me) :)

I recon doing a Single colour top could be even more of a challange than a mottle.

Alistair

May have to change your moniker then matey :)

Nottlemaster - LOL love it :)

Want to try to get a fairly worn / faded desert look to this one so could definately present its own challenges but also hoping to add one of the new airfix 1:72 E series to the GB along with some of the excellent looking Topshots decals from the 190GB so hopefully wont dodge mottling completely!

Made some small in roads last night, dont want to go too far as going to get the full eduard set now rather than the zoom one as it looks like it will add quite a bit of detail

So far started getting bits off the sprues and the motor together, fit is good and really nicely detailed if a bit flashy in places

SAM_3194.jpg

SAM_3193.jpg

And also made my first blood sacrifice to the modelling gods as i stabbed myself cleaning flash off the seconds cylinder bank :)

SAM_3192.jpg

Cheers all :)

Cheers Steve, its ok the docs said they can save the thumb but the rest will have to go :)

No work on the 109 yet today but i have made an elephant and a crocodile out of playdough so can see an Afrika Korps diorama coming on :winkgrin:

Edited by stoohoo

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Alistair, might have to remember that one :)

Finally got some progress to show, the eduard etch set has arrived so i have started to get the first bits in.

First step was to remove the kit sidewall detail, which wasnt too bad but had to go for the etch sidewalls to fit

Before:

SAM_3233.jpg

And after some scraping, sanding and glueing (and not stabbing myself again) base sidewall installed and ready for details:

SAM_3235.jpg

Also fitted the etched wheel well parts

SAM_3234.jpg

I think they look pretty nice but going to have to be careful when it comes to painting, i usually spray the wells first and then mask with blutack but i've got a feeling if i try to do that im going to end up pulling them apart....hmmm

Anyway, thanks for looking :) Stu

Edited by stoohoo

Mate, try wet tissue paper as a mask. Paint the wells as normal, wet some torn up smallish pieces tissue and use tweezers to put in place. It will adhere without much force. You can reposition it as you need to and it will stay in place.

Here I used it on the engine bay of my 190 build:

006-8.jpg

Once you have finished it can be removed easily. You can even wet it down again if you need to.

Or some small pieces of sponge:

004-5.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Kahunaminor

Thats where I get mine from, the stuff my daughter has mashed together and is not one colour. She won't play with it when its like that

Thanks for the tips Chris and Kent :)

Fortunately thanks to my kids theres a steady supply of playdough i can borrow a bit from so think i might give that a go :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peter :)

Well about time for an update!

Have been getting a few things done but not enough to warrant a post til now

Have built the basic motor up and removed the moulded on (ignition harness/fuel line?) on the side thats going to have the cowl open with some fusewire. The whole lots been painted the basecolour and highlighted before the rest of the bits are added

SAM_3259.jpg

SAM_3265.jpg

SAM_3277.jpg

Also been working on the pit, have built up both sides of the pit and painted Xtracrylics RLM66 then highlighted inside the panels with a lightened mix of the same and added the coloured etch. next step a wash, drybrush and matt

SAM_3273.jpg

SAM_3276.jpg

Also had a go at making the fuel line and sightglass out of some stretched clear sprue and masking tape, will see what it looks like with a lick of paint

SAM_3272.jpg

And last but not least, starting to add the etch to the rest of the pit

SAM_3283.jpg

Cant believe thats a month gone already!

Thanks for looking, Stu