Dougs Airfix Me Bf109F-4 - FINISHED-

Bit more done today, focussing on the undercarriage. Drilled out the spindles and made up some brake lines from 5A fusewire;

002-36.jpg

Painted the legs with Xtracrylix RLM02, push fit the wheels onto the spindles and drilled the spindles so I could fit a split pin, just about visible from the end on;

006-26.jpg

I've painted the cockpit interior too, not too much to see there. I'll get some pics of that up next.

No, they're moulded in, so I think I'l going to leave them alone.

Pretty sure I read somewhere they can be in or out.

They can be seen in either position on the ground, sometimes even one in and one out as they were sprung loaded and not interconnected so if someone pushed on one side it would stay in.

Duncan B

That ties in with what I thought Duncan. Remember seeing a documentary where the guy doing the pre flight checks was demonstrating how sensitive the slats were, and how he could just push them back into the closed position with one finger.

Pics of the fuselage sides, nothing too fancy as there's not a lot of detail and you won't be able to see much of it with Gerhard in there anyway;

006-27.jpg

001-30.jpg

Made up a shroud for the exhaust stacks on the left hand side out of some spare PE. Why does the cover on the left extend further down than the one on the right?

007-24.jpg

Pilot is pretty much painted up, just need to do a little more detailing on him.

Why does the cover on the left extend further down than the one on the right?

Hi Doug

I think its to stop any exhaust gases from going into the supercharger intake, but I could be completely wrong of course!

Like what you've done so far, keep up the good work!

Regards

Tim.

Bit more done today, seperated the tailwheel so that I could turn it slightly. Just a small change that adds a bit more movement to the model;

001-31.jpg

Drilled and pinned it with some .5mm brass rod;

002-38.jpg

Here's Gerhard, not the best pilot I've ever painted but he'll do in the closed cockpit;

003-42.jpg

Fuselage is together now so should be able to progress a bit more quickly now;

004-34.jpg

Made a brass prop shaft and sleeve for the prop. Used the kit prop pin for the sleeve by snipping off the pin and drilling a hole for the tube. The good thing is it spins a lot more freely and is removeable for cleaning and moving;

006-28.jpg

So here's where I'm up to at the moment, cowling and canopy are just placed in position at the moment. undercarriage legs are glued on, rudder is also glued on, again slightly deflected.

007-25.jpg

Edited by Doug Rogers

Hi Doug

I think its to stop any exhaust gases from going into the supercharger intake, but I could be completely wrong of course!

Like what you've done so far, keep up the good work!

Regards

Tim.

You got it right Tim, the cover is to deflect exhaust gases away from the intake.

Duncan B

• 4 weeks later...

Got some painting done yesterday and today;

004-37.jpg

001-35.jpg

Using Xtracrylix RLM 74/75/76, have to say they go on really nicely. Yellow is Humbrol 24.

Can make a start on the mottling now!! Seems like an unusually random effect they had on the original machine, so I'm just going to try and copy whats on the decal sheet. Think I'll give it a coat of Klear first though, just in case.

010-19.jpg

Looking very nice Doug, paintwork looks excellent. Do you use the xtracrylics thinners with your xtracrylics? I like the paints when I can get them to spray and not clog, wondered if the thinners Might help. Keep up the good work, looks like your nearing the finish line.

Cheers...

Going to call this one finished, quite pleased with the result, although despite a few tweaks here and there I think the kit does have it's limits, or rather perhaps the limits were mine!

Still for a 1978 kit I still think the shape looks great;

003-48_zps3d94182f.jpg

004-38_zpsf5562235.jpg

008-23_zps7d50234e.jpg

More in the gallery.

Edited by Doug Rogers

It's certainly an oldie, but surely a goodie. The Airfix Bf109F is a very nice, simple to build, kit. The only issue (not for me at all) are the tiny raised panel lines. With some care and love, this kit can turn into a very good looking model, as you've achieved with yours.. Keep your good work, you'll find some old kits are really pleasant to build...

Cheers.....!!!!!!!

Edited by Artie