Dougs Airfix Me Bf109F-4 - FINISHED-

This will be my other build for this GB, an oldie but (hopefully!) goodie;

008-21.jpg

Not as many parts as a state of the art kit, but should make for a slightly simpler build;

009-21.jpg

Using these transfers, should be an interesting scheme, depicts an aircraft flown by Gerhard Barkhorn;

010-19.jpg

Looking forward to getting started!

Edited by Doug Rogers

I've made it before, and it goes together pretty nicely. Shapewise I think it's reckoned to be good and with a bit of fettling it can be made to look as good as a much newer mould.

May do this one in flight, not sure yet.

Hi Mottlemaster, I won't be using the kit transfers so hopefully the aftermarket ones will be a little better. Probably just as well as the kit ones are all curled up and sort of brown!

Made a start on some detail work today, while I'm waiting for my Master gun barrels and some AM resin exhausts;

The kit spinner is a bit...plain looking;

001-28.jpg

Freshened it up a bit by drilling out the cannon blast tube;

002-34.jpg

Again the wings are a bit featureless, so thought I'd get a bit of action into the radiator flaps;

Before;

003-38.jpg

After;

004-32.jpg

Was going to do the same with the lower wings, but not sure I need to. Don't want to overdo it;

005-27.jpg

More soon...

Doug.

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure what size drill bit to use for the spinner, used the spinner on my Fujimi G-10 as a template, turned out to be 1.2mm.

Going to seperate the flaps and other control surfaces too, makes a big difference to the finished model I think.

Exhausts and gun barrels arrived in the post this morning, packets duly ripped open and;

Before (yuk!)

001-29.jpg

After;

009-22.jpg

Gun barrels before;

006-25.jpg

and after;

005-28.jpg

These barrels are really nice and will hopefully improve the overall look.

007-23.jpg

Just held in position with some Blu-tack at the moment, I think the gun barrel holes still look a bit small so may have to just open them a little more.

Should be able to start gluing and painting some bits tomorrow hopefully!

Edited by Doug Rogers

It's an odd combination of engraved lines on the wings and raised lines on the fuselage. The thing is the raised lines on the fuselage are actually quite nicely done so my concern is am I better off trying to make the most of the existing detail, or do I risk making a hash of scribing the panel lines?

I'm inclined to leave them as is and focus on the paint and transfers to give me a nice finish, with some weathering, drybrushing and pigment type things.

Got a while to think about it yet.

Good progress Doug.

To rescribe or not to rescribe? The eternal question. I suppose it comes down to personal choice and what you want to achieve. Would you use the existing raised lines as a guides and scribe alongside or obliterate and start over?

Regards

While I was fondling the sprues on the new 109E-1 from Airfix, I thought the pilot looked vaguely familiar. Had a look at the one in the 109F kit and;

002-35.jpg

Looks like the same mould, but the new one looks a lot sharper. F was moulded in 1978, so 34 year gap.

Got a bit done, propellor is finished;

003-39.jpg

Funny how when it spins, you can mostly see the white;

005-29.jpg

More soon.

Edited by Doug Rogers

Going to be starting on the E-1 soon, this kit is a lot simpler so I'm just sort of getting them to the same stage. Finished chopping all the moveable surfaces off this one now too, thank God for Airfix making all the control surfaces on the E seperate!