Dougs Airfix Me Bf109E-1 -FINISHED-

This is going to be one of my two entries for this GB. Going to try building two models simultaneously which I've not done before, just trying to get my score for 2012 up to a more respectable level!

006-24.jpg

Open box, sprue shots. Have to say this kit looks really nice on the sprues, a real gem from Airfix here;

007-22.jpg

Going to be using these transfers from 'Revi'. Not come across them before, actually got these on the same sheet as the ones for the 109F-4 I'm going to be doing as well. Always quite liked these early splinter schemes;

004-31.jpg

More later,

Doug.

Edited by Doug Rogers

I've been resisting the temptation to buy this kit for far to long, as Andy says it's a great kit... maybe I'll break my own resistence and get one.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on this kit. Plastic is quite soft so care has to be taken removing parts from the sprues.

Propellor assembly is together;

003-40.jpg

Painted with Acylic matt black on the blades, Humbrol 56 for the hub and White Ensign RLM70 for the spinner.

And the spin test;

005-30.jpg

I've sprayed the interior parts RLM02 on the sprues, so next shots I should have the cockpit assembled.

Edited by Doug Rogers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a couple of good days progress, something like an hour and a half masking, then about 30 secs to peel it all off afterwards!

Paints are White Ensign enamels, really nice to work with.

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

The darker RLM70 is still a bit tacky so looks a bit glossier at the moment. Got into the habit of peeling the masking off while the paint is still wet, think I read somewhere it helps reduce the possibility of a ridge between the two colours.

Quite pleased with the contrast between the two colours. Leave that to harden, coat of Klear later on, then transfers tomorrow.

Edited by Doug Rogers

OK, all transfers on. Plenty of stencils in that Airfix kit aren't there?

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7494.jpg

Better give it a spray of matt varnish, then just the gunsight, tailwheel, and main undercarriage to fix on.