English Electric Canberra B.2, Tp 52, Airfix 1/48 - FINISHED

Bjorn

Great! This is the one I intend to build:

267-TP52001-IMG_0072-CS.jpg

I started today, adding some details to the cockpit. From what I have seen (I've looked into the cockpit of the real aircraft), this example had only two seats.

DSC_0519.jpg

I have ordered a resin nose. Since it hasn't arrived yet, I still wait to cut the nose.

Edited by Bjorn

Bjorn

Great job on the cockpit. Just to help out some of us less able modellers, would you provide some tips on how you achieved all of that paintwork in the cockpit area? Great use of some very fine colour detailing in there.

Thanks! After adding the structure with some plastic strips, I added some details. After that, I airbrushed everything black, followed by some dry-brushing with Tamiya aluminium, Finally, small details was painted with a small brush. Dry-brushing does magic things, especially on a black surface with raised panels, such as the instruments.

The nose arrived yesterday, so today I cut the original nose to fit the Maestro resin nose. Fuselage, nose and wings were dry-fitted to check the the necessary amount of nose weight. It is a huge model! Compare it to the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire XIX!

DSC_0896.jpg

Thanks! After adding the structure with some plastic strips, I added some details. After that, I airbrushed everything black, followed by some dry-brushing with Tamiya aluminium, Finally, small details was painted with a small brush. Dry-brushing does magic things, especially on a black surface with raised panels, such as the instruments.

Well it looks really good. I've tried drybrushing in the past but haven't been able to achieve results like yours. Maybe I am using too much bristle in my brush - would you write up exactly how you do yours for the rest of us? Much appreciated :cheers:

Of course! I use a small brush (0 or 1), and a very small amount of paint. Before dry-brushing, most of the paint is removed by "painting" on a piece of paper while the remaining paint dries for a few seconds. When the brush is ready, almost no paint is left. After that I brush the areas a number of times rather quickly until I am satisfied. The paint shall be so dry that you have to remove a few colour flakes afterwards (by using a dry brush). I hope this was understandable... :)

And here I am today. The nose is glued in place:

DSC_0923.jpg

Wingtips and fin are given the right shape:

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

The cockpit is almost finished, except from the Pilot's seat.

DSC_0934.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been busy with other projects for a while, but now it's Canberra time again!

First some detailing:

DSC_0979.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

...and some modifications.

DSC_0975.jpg

Pilot's seat added, and the cockpit is completed:

DSC_0659-1_zps0e9f9e5d.jpg

DSC_0661-1_zpsbb106535.jpg

The canopy had to be modified, the TP 52 had only one small window:

DSC_0981.jpg

Ready for painting!

DSC_0662-1.jpg

Tamiya's aluminium on spray can was used as primer. It was followed by a black pre-shade and Tamiya aluminium mixed with a little light grey (Swedish Canberras were painted in aluminium). My aim is to create the worn look this one had in the early 70s.

DSC_0120.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, all! Painting and decalling is almost finished. The only thing missing are the numbers (to be placed on the small blurry silver-painted areas, this aircraft got new numbers in the early 70s). And then it is time for some fun weathering!

DSC_0144-2.jpg

Missed the last few updates to this one and had the pleasure of reading your progress through the painting and decalling stages in one. That finish is fantastic and the Swedish markings add a great touch of colour - high quality work indeed.

Thanks! Since I think the air intakes are too simplified, I chose the easiest solution; to cover them with FOD covers. They also will add at least some colour to this massive amount of silver... I hope to finish it all tomorrow!

DSC_1089.jpg