Who is the best F/A-18E/F in 1/72 scale

RAGATIGER

Hi there

Well topic tittle says all which kit do someone has to chose ???

Options

Hasegawa

!CCd7mIgB2k~$(KGrHqIOKkYEzldvy++)BNLNi+ERYg~~_1.JPG

Revell

$(KGrHqJHJBQE-cYDlyiIBPoTgf0yjQ~~60_1.JPG

and Italeri

$(KGrHqJ,!l!E6B7!i9CmBOorRqm6,!~~60_1.JPG

And PLEASE comment about the aftermarket detail sets

Best modeling

Armando

Hasegawa and Revell kit are the same, IIRC the Italeri kit is nowhere near as good.

Wolfpack do folded wings & dropped flaps, Aires do a cockpit, Olimp exhausts and plenty of etch around.

Cockpit could do with some tarting up & flaps dropping, but whether you go aftermarket for this is personal taste.

Having built both the Hasegawa and Revell (they are not the same btw), there are pros and cons. The Hasegawa kit shown is not the latest configuration where as the Revell one is. The latest boxings from Hasegawa have been updated to the newer configuration but cost a lot more.

Robert

• Like 1

Hi there

Well I´m looking for a good kit and maybe to replace the ejection seats and/or foldwing wings set!!!! and if possible with Jolly Rogers decals

Best day

Armando

In that case go for the Hasegawa kit. The resin parts you can get from Aires and Wolfpack. There are no resin updates for the Revell kit yet.

Robert

• Like 1

The Revell kit is nice and much cheaper than the Hasegawa kit BUT the canopy does not have the right shape and that's a no-go for me. Also, the shape is not quite right in some areas.

There is a lot of AM stuff for the Hasegawa kits, and as mentionned earlier they now come with either the old or the new ECS/ACS types. They are about $30 though, as opposed to Revell's ~$15.

One problem with the Hasegawa kits is that they do not have any intake trunking, but this can be solved either manually (see my build here) or with AM stuff like Dr Pepper's.

Arnaud

1000 Thanks you all

I'm going to choose very well the kit between the later boxes of the hasewaga kits

BTW I was comenting witha fellow modeller about the cost of Hase kits in the past F-4 Phantom (if you find the one you want), F-14 Tomcat & F-111 families (well + Su-27) in 1/72 their cost was around US$ 25.00 and now they are close to US$ 50.00 or more and normal kits about US$ 6.00

Anyway Revell and Italeri help us

Cheers

Armando

Hi fellows

And what about the F/A-18G???? same thing ????

Best day

Armando

Hasegawa by a mile for the EA-18G, as IIRC Revell hasn't done an EA-18G yet (I expect it soon as they just released an F-18F from the same molds as the now-OOP F-18E).

Note one advantage of the Revell F-18E and F-18F is weapons, you get a decent selection which is lacking as usual on the Hasegawa. The Hasegawa Growler does come with the basics though.

And a little note on F-18 designations, only the Legacy Hornets have the F/A designation in US Service, the Super Hornets are F-18E or F-18F and the Growler is EA-18G.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 1

Hasegawa by a mile for the EA-18G, as IIRC Revell hasn't done an EA-18G yet (I expect it soon as they just released an F-18F from the same molds as the now-OOP F-18E).

Note one advantage of the Revell F-18E and F-18F is weapons, you get a decent selection which is lacking as usual on the Hasegawa. The Hasegawa Growler does come with the basics though.

And a little note on F-18 designations, only the Legacy Hornets have the F/A designation in US Service, the Super Hornets are F-18E or F-18F and the Growler is EA-18G.

At Telford yesterday, Revell had this on display:

http://www.revell.de...ARTN=04864&sp=1

Tony

Which means that somebody at Revell oopsed, since that's an F-18F, not an F/A-18F. Note both Revell and Italieri made that mistake on the boxes shown in the original Post.

?? The Super Hornet is a ground attack ("A") and fighter ("F") aircraft, which is why it is called (Like the Legacy Hornet) F/A-18, not F-18. What is a F-18F?

?? The Super Hornet is a ground attack ("A") and fighter ("F") aircraft, which is why it is called (Like the Legacy Hornet) F/A-18, not F-18. What is a F-18F?

Actually, it looks like I was incorrect at this time, I just checked to be sure and the F/A designation is again in use for Super Hornet, the standard F designation was in use for a fair while though (I see plenty of references to both variants on Navy.mil, and someone has gone and updated the entire Wikipedia site to the F/A designation).

F/A is a non-standard designation which occurred as a result of the peculiarities of the Hornet acquisition, it was originally acquired as a fighter for the smaller conventional carriers which couldn't handle Tomcats, then was chosen as the A-4 replacement which led to the odd designation for political purposes (trying to indicate that it was as much an Attack Aircraft as a Fighter, which was purely not the case at the time although it had enough capability to replace the small A-4). Most Fighters have ground attack capability, often very robust capability like the F-4 Phantom or a Tomcat with the Bombcat mods, the early Tomcats were unusual in their lack of strike capability, so the F/A designation is spurious aside from politics.

Initially the F-18 and A-18 were intended to have differing avionics suites on the same airplane, that was abandoned and the F/A designation was used internally for the aircraft when the two variants were merged (there was a third variant, the TF-18, which became the F/A-18B), the F/A designation only became official in 1984, around the time that the Hornet was being considered for the A-7 replacement.

Edited by Adam Maas

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting this thread after 7 plus years.

Also looking for an F/A-18F, and I would much rather have the Revell kit over the Hasegawa, namely because of the intake issue and the better cockpit detail. However, the Revell  version has become pretty hard to find. There is the G (Growler) model, and it is my understanding that there is little to no difference between the F and the G, correct?

Never mind, decision made and paid!😀

Edited by Thom216

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well there are also the Academy kits of the F/A-18F and EA-18G to throw into the mix these days.

Ding ding ding!! That's the one I ended up going for. Has far deeper trunking than the Hasegawa and good cockpit detail, and in comparison to the Revell offering, it's available! And at a reasonable price.😁

I would much rather have had the Revell, but I can make do with the Academy, even with its press-fit nature. I think I know how I can disguise the clunky attachments for the gear doors, and at the end it does turn out as a good model of the plane.

I am not too impressed with the Academy offering.  I am not too thrilled with the way they choose to handle the kit's assembly.  I have been thinking about picking up a Super Hornet and right now, even with it's less than perfect air intakes, I am leaning towards the Hasegawa kit.

The lack of relief in the cockpit and the short trunking turned me off to that one, plus most of its construction will be hidden when complete.

This way, I won't need to buy a PE set for cockpit, though I will get a set for the seats that include belts.

I do intent on dropping the slats and flaps, and I'll need to fix the elevators so they can be 'drooped' a little too for a parked bird.

Should be starting soon though, as Amazon says it should be arriving today. I'll see how it goes.

Edited by Thom216

I had posted the same query a while back, and the general concensus from the BM'ers  seemed to be Academy for the Legacy Hornets (F-18A thru D) and Hasegawa for the Super Bugs (F-18E thru G) 1/72 scale, of course.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, 72modeler said:

I had posted the same query a while back, and the general concensus from the BM'ers  seemed to be Academy for the Legacy Hornets (F-18A thru D) and Hasegawa for the Super Bugs (F-18E thru G) 1/72 scale, of course.

Mike

I would have to agree with Mike.  I have had both the Academy and Hasegawa Legacy Hornets.  Hasegawa's has some shape issues, those aside, I much prefer the Academy kit.  Really, the only "weak" aspect of the kit that I came across was the landing gear.  I addressed that with a set from the Italeri kit of all things.  Damn near perfect fit and looks the part much better than the Academy pieces.

I've had the Hasegawa Super Hornet and have only seen pictures of the Academy kit.  Gotta say, I am not impressed with what Academy did with their Super Hornet.  Pity, if they'd have followed suit as with their Legacy Hornets, I think they'd have a hands down winner.  I'll be sticking with my Hasegawa kit for this one and will spruce it up with some Aires and Quickboost resin.