1/48 - McDD F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set

Homebee

On January 29, 2017 at 0:14 PM, Homebee said:

- ref. SWS 48??? - McDD F-4S Phantom II - box art

Release expected this Summer.

Source:

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_092.html

main_visual_No092_en.jpg

V.P.

Thats got to be one of the nicest pieces of box art I have seen lately…..Its certainly up there with the Airfix Victor B.2, Special Hobby 'Korean War' Fairey Firefly and the Roden BOAC VC-10 to name but three others.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/photos/a.1544457252482561.1073741827.1542972425964377/1859068997688050/?type=3&theater

18622226-1859068997688050-53463419226665

Already the beginning of summer?!!
But while I was silent, the new release of the F-4S got closer!!

Hiiiiiiiii, dear SWS fans all over the world!
Thanks for visiting the Old Man Blog after such a long time.

Actually, besides "Zoukei-mura", manufacturer specialized in the development of scale model kits, I also manage a Hobby-company called VOLKS, which kept me very busy because of the several big events held in a sequence this spring.

This time I will give you all at once the SWS information gathered since last time. In early summer I feel much more grateful to share the same dream with you aircraft fans.

First, the "F-4S" type:
●Released on June 10th (Sat) at 7,500 JPY (without tax)!!
*Japan Standard Time
Then,
●Simultaneously released on July 26th (Wed) – 29th (Sat) 
 for US Friend Shops and IPMS Omaha!!

The long awaited S-type is finally coming to you. Please thoroughly enjoy the charm of the S-type, so different from the excellent J-type. I am falling in love with the image of those two machines, one next to another. The mock-up of upcoming C and D types will be displayed at Zoukei-mura booth, during the IPMS in Omaha. C-type will be painted with the so called Vietnam Camouflage (SEA Scheme), while the D-type will have surfacer applied so that even tiny details will be scrupulously observable. If you come to IPMS Omaha, look forward to them!!

So let's see the main differences between the SWS J-type and the forthcoming S-type.

●Main wings
1. Front slat (4 points)
2. Different shape of the external wing tip
●Cockpit
3. Half-moon part over the back seat of the central canopy
4. Back mirror added on the upper surface of the rear canopy
5. Cockpit optical sight and cockpit panels (front and rear)
6. Control stick
●Fuselage
7. EL light panels (formation lights) of nose, fuselage, wing edges, vertical tail
8. Fuselage top antenna changed from 3 places to 1
9. Side antenna added upon the air intake
10. Different shape of the ram air intake on the left side of the nose
●Fuselage underside
11. No antenna behind the front gear storage box (installed on the J-type)
12. Different shape of the antenna under the right air intake
13. Reinforcing panels and underside of the central fuselage reproduced
14. Different shape and position of the louver under the nose
15. Different shape of the antenna beside the airbrake, below the main wings
16. Slender fence added to the folding part of the main wings
img_093b002.jpg

▋S-type's release has finally come closer!
VF-161, the fifth carrier air wing stationed in the old Atsugi base. Then, the splendid camouflage found on the air carrier Midway, has been adopted for the decal of this kit! In addition, the decals to reproduce the colorful markings of the different units, usable with F-4 J/S, will be eventually released as extra parts! More and more chances to reproduce the sight of those fierce men with the F-4. Honestly, there are so many that cannot choose.

img_093b003.jpg

▋In the picture, newly developed runners for the S-type release. The yellow tags show the parts used in the S-type, different from the J-type. Easy to build, fun to build, this F-4S will be soon flying to reach you. Oh, and about this S-type: just a little of work and you can reproduce the cool scene of the launch from the carrier. Also, missile parts have also been renewed and have finer details. Please expect that sharp result!!

img_093b004.jpg

▋Zoukei-mura received this beautiful plate!
The IPMS Odessos branch (Bulgaria) chose our SWS F-4J as the "Model of the Year" for 2016! We will keep developing better and better kits to make sure we deserved this honor!! This will strengthen the will and the courage of the Development Team.

img_093b005.jpg

▋And to celebrate the release of the SWS F-4S Phantom!
A new diorama base that represents the area surrounding the flying deck catapult of the US Carrier CV-41 Midway will be released. Of course, you just need to attach it to the catapult hook of the SWS F-4 to have a flawless scene. And the base is so cool that it comes pre-painted just as you can see it in the picture. (The wooden base is sold separately.)

○Diameter: 295mm ○Thickness: 6mm ○Weight: 437g
○Suitable aircrafts: F-4J/S

A massive product by Zoukei-mura, hand-made, hand-painted. Just few pieces available. Be quick to get it.

img_093b005b.jpg

Celebrative release pre-painted Diorama Base
"SWOP 1/48 Diorama Base 04 CV-41 Flight Deck"
Price: 2,000 JPY (without tax)
Release date: July 8th, 2017 *Japan Standard Time

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On 2017-01-30 at 8:17 AM, Tiger331 said:

Thats got to be one of the nicest pieces of box art I have seen lately…..Its certainly up there with the Airfix Victor B.2, Special Hobby 'Korean War' Fairey Firefly and the Roden BOAC VC-10 to name but three others.  

Their J box art sucked, looked like someone painted it in grade school.

Edited by Scooby

On 5/30/2017 at 5:38 AM, Scooby said:

Their J box art sucked, looked like someone painted it in grade school.

Yes,

I would tend to agree with you there......not a patch on some of the Hasegawa box art for F-4Js.

• 1 month later...

I am kind of dissapointed that the pre-order went up first on the Volks USA site with no option to order on Volks Japan.

I pre-ordered and paid in May, yet Volks Japan released the kit June 10? I have to wait until July 26-29? They have my money!

I prefer to order from Volks Japan because the shipping is 1/3 the shipping from the US. Go figure, I am next door to the US located in Canada.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have pulled the trigger on a -S this morning! Looking fwd to building it "almost" OOB. Seats will be changed for Quickboost ones though... not sure yet if/what to do about the fuselage glitch which is IMHO very noticable. I have Hasegawa Phantoms and an Academy downstairs as well. Looking fwd to comparing the 3 in look and feel!

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

• 2 weeks later...

My -S has arrived late last week. First observations are good but not perfect. Apart from the already discussed fuselage issue...the detailes are great. Fit is very good in most places. Engineering well...not so good! They provide the extended nose gear but to get the elevatores in take off position you have to seriously butcher the fuselage! Same if you want to install the boarding ladder. The plastic is very soft and the sprue attechment points are a pain in the a..! The slats inboard are only to be mounted extended, no mentining in the instructions how to close them (easy if you know Phantoms) which would be the rule for 99% of the planes when on the ground. Instructions in general are rather chaotic IMHO. As a summary...best Phantom in 48 so far but there is room for improvement. (Tamiya, do you read?)

cheers

Uwe

9 hours ago, anj4de said:

... to get the elevatores in take off position you have to seriously butcher the fuselage! Same if you want to install the boarding ladder.

Uwe,

Seriously? With due respect, are you serious when you use the phrase  "seriously butcher"???????  :huh: Goodness gracious ... a Dremel (or drill), a file, and a little sanding make quick work of removing and replacing the tail pivots if you want to do that. Further, making a "square hole" to anchor the steps (not the "boarding ladder")  certainly doesn't require serious butchering.

And what's hard about clipping the sprue attachments flush and finishing them with just a little sanding? That attachment method is a great way to avoid marring the exterior plastic.

As regards the instructions, I think they are seriously superior, even though some English needs proofing. 

I appreciate your opinions, and the above are mine.

Gene K

EDIT: I  also have no issue with the "fuselage issue".

Edited by Gene K

13 hours ago, Gene K said:

As regards the instructions, I think they are seriously superior, even though some English needs proofing.

The instructions contain a lot of information, not all for the building of the kit instructional wise. Likely ZM wanted to keep as much "in house" as possible and it's doubtful many of their staff are fluent in English.

Ooooo that fuselage, agreed about being overblown.

The price of the kit as well was brought up by Uwe on another forum. The Japanese  labour and tooling costs are much more expensive than in other countries, namely China.

15 hours ago, Gene K said:

Uwe,

Seriously? With due respect, are you serious when you use the phrase  "seriously butcher"???????  :huh: Goodness gracious ... a Dremel (or drill), a file, and a little sanding make quick work of removing and replacing the tail pivots if you want to do that. Further, making a "square hole" to anchor the steps (not the "boarding ladder")  certainly doesn't require serious butchering.

And what's hard about clipping the sprue attachments flush and finishing them with just a little sanding? That attachment method is a great way to avoid marring the exterior plastic.

I appreciate your opinions, and the above are mine.

Gene K

On a kit in that price range I would expect the engineer to think about an easy way to attach the elevators in various positions! And having the opening for the "steps" open and provide a piece to close them would have also not cost a fortune. It's the little things that differentiate top notch from just good! The kit is good...I agree to that...but it's not up to the hipe that was made about it when it was first released! Those are my observations, my opinions...and thats all. Fell free to have a different opinion of course.

Uwe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Does anybody know of a source for the ZM PE cockpit set for the -J/S ? I have not found a shop yet who sells it! Would have been nice, had it been part of the kit though...

thanks

Uwe

Thx...I tried ordering them there but cannot register as a customer since they do not have Germany/Europe as an option in their address fields! The American " The Earth ends at the Atlantic/Pacific Coast" symdrom? ;-)

cheers

Uwe

15 minutes ago, anj4de said:

Thx...I tried ordering them there but cannot register as a customer since they do not have Germany/Europe as an option in their address fields! The American " The Earth ends at the Atlantic/Pacific Coast" symdrom? ;-)

cheers

Uwe

Try here:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=127_129_166&products_id=698

3 hours ago, anj4de said:

Hi there

Does anybody know of a source for the ZM PE cockpit set for the -J/S ? I have not found a shop yet who sells it! Would have been nice, had it been part of the kit though...

thanks

Uwe

You can try Hobby Link Japan. It would be on backorder, but shipping is reasonable. 

https://hlj.com/search/go?p=Q&srid=S1-1SEAP&lbc=hobbylink&ts=custom&uid=160007355&method=and&af=selectscale%3a148scale selectmanufacturer%3avolks&isort=score&view=grid&srt=24

or order direct form Volks in Japan.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws48_05_f4s.html

Eduard has not offered a cockpit set for the Z-M F-4's yet, but they do offer really nice Brassin wheels and exhaust nozzles.

On 23.10.2017 at 1:58 AM, Masinissa said:

You can try Hobby Link Japan. It would be on backorder, but shipping is reasonable. 

https://hlj.com/search/go?p=Q&srid=S1-1SEAP&lbc=hobbylink&ts=custom&uid=160007355&method=and&af=selectscale%3a148scale selectmanufacturer%3avolks&isort=score&view=grid&srt=24

or order direct form Volks in Japan.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws48_05_f4s.html

Eduard has not offered a cockpit set for the Z-M F-4's yet, but they do offer really nice Brassin wheels and exhaust nozzles.

Thanks...

I do have the Eduard wheels and exhaust nozzles...the wheels are excellent and an improvement over the kit wheels, the nozzles not so much though. They have a rather small opening compared to the kit ones and compared to the super nice Aires ones for the Hasegawa kit they look toyish. The Aires nozzles are too small for the ZM kit though. The ZM Cockpit PE set is actually being made by Eduard...but unfortunately not offered by them so far. Maybe in the future?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_097.html

img_097b-f4s_ad_en.jpg
img_097b-f4s_kobayashi.jpg

▋SWS S-kit over J-kit!
After the incredibly popular and already sold out J-kit, the S-kit has been reproduced with all its own features, apart from the J79 engine shared with the J-model!
The S-type has been wonderfully reproduced with all its peculiarities, including cockpit, landing gear, wings, stabilizers and all the types of antennas. In particular, the front-edge slat, typical of theS-type, has been reproduced as the S-fans requested. And also the reinforcing panels of the underside! See with your own eyes! 
The full-color camouflage of the VF-161 from the air carrier Midway, has been adopted for the decal of this kit.
(This kit has been produced in a very small quantity, so be quick to get it!)

V.P.

• 3 months later...

Fresh news - another F-4J "Marine Corps" boxing expected in May 2018

Source: http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_099.html

And!
We're now planning to release just a small quantity of the SWS F-4J, the model used by the Marine Corps, including the decals to reproduce the paint scheme of the famous "Red Devils", to accommodate the fans of the F-4J that requested a second release since, as you know, the product sold out very quickly. See the splendid package art!

▋SWS 1/48 F-4J "Marine" scheduled for release around May!
This is the time to make the J-Type, part of your collection.

img_099b003-j01.jpg
img_099b003-j02.jpg

▋SWS F-4 "J" Marine, new release including the "Red Devils" decals. In the picture, the beautiful F-4, marvelously reproduced by master "Naoki Kobayashi" .
Furthermore, this J-Type will be released in just a small quantity so be quick to get it!!

img_099b003-j03.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

The new - ref. 4808 - McDD F-4J Phantom "Marine Corps" boxing is now expected in August 2018. On pre-order: link

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/photos/a.1544457252482561.1073741827.1542972425964377/2026361307625484/?type=3&theater

Box art

35268968.jpg

Also here: http://www.detailscaleview.com/2018/06/zoukeimura-f4j-marines-sws4808-review.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DIO said:

I guess this one has the corrected fuselage cross section, right?

No ZM have not corrected the fuselage. The crease that starts at the engine intakes still goes too far back. Hypersonic models have been working on a simple correction for this. The ZM F-4s are really nice kits, but they do need extra love to make them perfect. Also Aires now does some really nice burner cans to replace the clunky plastic parts. I've already got the original F-4J boxing. The American outlet for ZM is in Torrance California and the next time I travel over in that direction I'll try to pick this kit up. Saves on shipping and makes my mitts happy to have it.

I'm hoping that since they took the time to measure an F-4E that they will have a correct fuselage in that kit. 

Edited by Masinissa