1/48 - McDD F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set

Homebee

It is clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the creation of this kit. The kit has details that just don't exist on other leading manufacturers releases.

I, for one, am sold. Definitely a worthy addition to the build pile.

• Like 1

Looks absolutely superb, don't mind the decals scheme as not all of us have done a Phantom as 'Showtime 100'.

I still don't get their rendering of the leading edge flap arrangement though, and I can't help thinking that they overlooked the outer wing ones which is maybe why it's modelled clean in the shots?

24 minutes ago, 71chally said:

don't mind the decals scheme as not all of us have done a Phantom as 'Showtime 100'.

True.  Plus, it's not very often that you can model the jet of an ace AND a felon, all at the same time.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

I still don't get their rendering of the leading edge flap arrangement though, and I can't help thinking that they overlooked the outer wing ones which is maybe why it's modelled clean in the shots?

I assume the middle LE flap section is to accommodate the S model slats (along with new outer wings).

Gene K

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dr Evil said:

Spill the beans then! ;)

In a nut shell, if a Marine Corps squadron operated the J and/or S, I'm drawing decals for them to release in my Flying Leathernecks line. I'm drawing a bunch of Navy squadrons to either release under a new line, or for another decal company to release in theirs. At this time, I don't have a particular line up of which squadrons will be done first, how they'll be arranged, or when they'll be printed. My focus right now is to just get the artwork drawn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flying Leathernecks Decals said:

In a nut shell, if a Marine Corps squadron operated the J and/or S, I'm drawing decals for them to release in my Flying Leathernecks line. I'm drawing a bunch of Navy squadrons to either release under a new line, or for another decal company to release in theirs. At this time, I don't have a particular line up of which squadrons will be done first, how they'll be arranged, or when they'll be printed. My focus right now is to just get the artwork drawn.

In regards to Navy, please can you take into account VF-96 "Showtime 106" flown by Matt Connelly and RIO Tom Blonski.

I've been looking for a set of decals in 1/48 for years!

15 hours ago, Flying Leathernecks Decals said:

Oh God, you're going to cost me a fortune!!! Happy Days!!

2 hours ago, ZK302 said:

Well, what do people who bought the kit today at Telford  think of it ?

Does it live up to the hype...

(waits impatiently at home) before going to the show on Sunday.

regards 

paul

Paul, if you get there at 9am there are a few reservations that were not picked up that they will be selling off, that's if it's on your shopping list.

I have one and have given it a very cursory glance, but I like what I see. Not as parts heavy as other SWS kits, definitely not as many small parts. The details look impressive and definitely seems a step up on the Academy kit which I guess is the current benchmark.

Only frustration is having to pay £20 for the RAF decal set for it, which seemed steep. However, there is a wide range of subjects for an RAF F-4J covered on the sheet, and given that it won't be easy to acquire in the UK, on balance the hole in my wallet is justified.

Edited by March

I have seen the Yellowhammer F-4J(UK) sheet go for over £30 so £20 from them is not bad. Shame they did not do a UK boxing but if they can sell the decals for £20 thats what they will do.

5 hours ago, March said:

I have one and have given it a very cursory glance, but I like what I see. Not as parts heavy as other SWS kits, definitely not as many small parts. The details look impressive and definitely seems a step up on the Academy kit which I guess is the current benchmark.

Given that the Academy kits (which are very good) are going now for less half the price of the sws kit so it should be