1/48 - McDD F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set

Homebee

• 1 month later...

Dedicated stabilisator upgrade by Hypersonic Models - ref. HMR48032

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/2320565981362758

Just released: F-4 Stabilator upgrade for Zoukei Mura kits. This set enables you to mount the stabs in any position of your choice. Also, the detail on the stabs' pivot cover plates is improved and you get a full set of stabilator reinforcement plates for Air Force type Phantoms, not included in the kits.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-stabilator-upgrade

Set-Total.jpg Installed-Side.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Were the hips on this kit modified or will I need to get the J kit + the Hypersonic Models resin hip correction for it?

Cheers,

Unc2

If you had to ask do you really think you need to convert it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

If you had to ask do you really think you need to convert it?

Oh, it's not that I had to ask 'cause I was not able to tell whether this J kit had the wrong hips in "they're" piccy or nay (as it's real hard to tell in that shot). It's just that I was aware that the ensuing long-nosed Phantoms will all come out with "they're" hips fixed. It's been months since I saw there were piccies of the long-nosed Phantoms kits almost ready, hence I assumed that the blokes at Zoukey-Miura might have as well endowed this last J kit with "they're" correct hips, you dig, Scooby, mate, yeh? 

Nice but not cheap kits the Zoukey-Maura kits are to even have to cater for the Hypersonic Models resin hip correction bit, y'know. I'd rather keep my two Monogram 1/48 F-4J kits for that.

In future please try to reason before you post such an enquire.

Cheers,

Unc2

On 02/07/2019 at 16:54, Vladan Dugaric said:

It is the same kit as the original J.

It seems that ZM are copying Hasegawa and re-releasing the same plastic with different decals and box art.  It is a nice F4J though, even with dodgy hips. :wicked:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, Gene K said:

Excellent, well thought out question.👍

Yeh, my bad, Gene. It's only that I thought the misshapen hips on the Zoukey-Miura Phantom kits were so unnoticeable that Hypersonic Models needed to come out with a correction set for 'em... :whistle: 

3 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Academy is not worth bothering with 

See? I agree with Lance there. Academy kits that I bought, 1/48th scale all:

Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B (actually, a 1/50th scale nightmare)

MiG-21MF Fishbed J (wrong forward fuselage/windshield/canopy)

Hawker Hunter F.6 & FGA.9 (compedium of issues)

General Dynamics FB-111A Ardvark (all terrible)

F-16C Fighting Falcon (nay likey at all)

Then I just passed on any other Academy 1/48 aircraft kits.

Yeh, me did.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Yes, and notice that the Academy is not worth bothering with serious fixes. This argument goes both ways 🙂

I've made a few correction items for the Academy kit - stabilators, A/C intakes, correct early seats...

I also made whole new tail section, made from a Hasegawa tail, extensively reshaped to match the Academy aft fuselage contour. I left it unfinished though as it will be a nightmare to cast and more difficult to install than the ZM shape correction parts.

As the ZM tail has more detail than Hasegawa I'm now pondering the idea of trying to make a ZM tail fit to the Academy fuselage (even though we know the A. kit a bit too lean over the engine shoulders) just to get a decent B model...Or finish off the Hasegawa tail part. One day...

J

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I've made a few correction items for the Academy kit - stabilators, A/C intakes, correct early seats...

I also made whole new tail section, made from a Hasegawa tail, extensively reshaped to match the Academy aft fuselage contour. I left it unfinished though as it will be a nightmare to cast and more difficult to install than the ZM shape correction parts.

As the ZM tail has more detail than Hasegawa I'm now pondering the idea of trying to make a ZM tail fit to the Academy fuselage (even though we know the A. kit a bit too lean over the engine shoulders) just to get a decent B model...Or finish off the Hasegawa tail part. One day...

One Jay that I know had better hurry with "they're" 1/48 Sled project instead of investing his precious time in an aftermarket correction bit for an Academy kit. This is something I've heard say by me and another 17 drunk Argie blokes at a modelling shindig, if it's of any use to you, Jeffrey. :wink: And that was on a Wednesday evening; I just don't dare think what might have been like had it been on a Friday or Saturday meeting!

Yeh, me don't.

Cheers,

Unc2

On 7/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

See? I agree with Lance there. Academy kits that I bought, 1/48th scale all:

Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B (actually, a 1/50th scale nightmare)

MiG-21MF Fishbed J (wrong forward fuselage/windshield/canopy)

Hawker Hunter F.6 & FGA.9 (compedium of issues)

General Dynamics FB-111A Ardvark (all terrible)

F-16C Fighting Falcon (nay likey at all)

Then I just passed on any other Academy 1/48 aircraft kits.

Yeh, me did.

Cheers,

Unc2

Still waiting for your perfect model in ready for inspection and some more hints on spelling :P

😜

Academy had the best for some time... thankfully improved upon in the  meantime ... sometimes at least!!

Not so sure about the Aardvaark....

But Hunter, Su-27/30, MiG-29.... yes- definitely better ones out there 20 years later

But Phantom?? .

Or B-1 in 144?

Or 2 seater F-16 in 32nd?

Academy is way ok for certain subjects.... as are many others for different ones ! 🍻

Hola, Werner, my mate!

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

Still waiting for your perfect model in ready for inspection and some more hints on spelling :P

Spelling hints I can help you with, but I'm afraid there's no such thing as my perfect model so far; I think I'm a perfectionist who gets frustrated by all those issues in a kit I just can't fix.
1/48 kits that I've started and still haven't completed are: the Hobby Boss FB-111A and Sukhoi Su-27 (for which I ordered parts from the Kitty Hawk kit); the Kitty Hawk MiG-25PD kit (for which I ordered the lower fuselage in the ICM kit and every bit in the Cold War Studio arsenal, including the parachute release actuator and fins - Thinking of ordering the C2D intakes and possibly the exhaust bits for it! Most probably, I'll finish that one when I'm 60 if you add the normal procrastinating).
Then there are other bigger projects I've obsessed with, such as the Monogram B-29 kit with all the Flight Engineering and Metallic Details embellisment bits, so the projects are dommed before they even start. 
And you really don't want to speak about my Italeri Sled project, with a plethora of Metallic Details bits, now that the Hypersonic Models kit release is imminent.

Academy had the best for some time... thankfully improved upon in the  meantime ... sometimes at least!!

The all-time best kit by Academy I've seen was the F-86 one; real nice kit. Unfortunately, as I fancied a Sabre in the Argie Air Force service, I needed to pass on it in favour of the Hasegawa F-86F-40 kit with the slatted wing and tip extension (the type of fin-less under wing jugs which that kit brings too).

Not so sure about the Aardvaark....

Bought the Academy FB-111A kit in 1991 and was highly disappointed in the poor detail it had (there was only the Verlinden upgrade set available back then, but I think it was for the F Varks). Looking back now that there's the Hobby Boss kit I admit that the Academy kit was still much accurate in shape than it's the Hobby Boss one.

But Hunter, Su-27/30, MiG-29.... yes- definitely better ones out there 20 years later

Yeh, all but the MiG-29 kit were the only game in town in 1/48 back then, But when I learnt about the issues in all of them I kind of lost faith, not interest. Fortunately, aftermarket correction set started to abound for each of them. 

But Phantom?? 

Me didn't likey the fake intake trunk depth make-believe, and that sufficed for me to pass on. Yeh, it did.

Or B-1 in 144?

Me don't build in other scale than 1/48.

Or 2 seater F-16 in 32nd?

Me don't build in a different scale than 1/48, didn't you hear? :lol: Besides, I was disappointed in the Academy Falcon kit in that it lacks the wing washout in the missile wingtip, which looked exactly like the Monogram kit. Both kits ended as paint targets (with an Airsoft gun).

Academy is way ok for certain subjects.... as are many others for different ones ! 🍻

In retrospect, you kind of have no choice but to recognise the ancient accuracy in some of the Academy kits when you have new releases as the Hobby Boss FB-111A kit, for instance. No good to have to invest in a vac-form windshield/canopy and resin exhaust for a kit which has cost you dearly and it's still a setback with regard to the next older one.
Then the Customer Service at Academy has been the only one ignoring me (I even had Trumpy send me spares!).
Yeh, me did...

Cheers,

Unc2

• 2 months later...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set
5 hours ago, Homebee said:

Soon ... .

Not soon enough. Anxious to get that set, and hopefully sets for the other ZM Phantoms.

Gene K

P.S. I downloaded that beautiful painting to use as a Screensaver ... and then I noticed the right aileron being deflected up . :nah:

(on the F-4, ailerons don't deflect up - spoilers do that)

• Haha 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set