Revel 1/48 Rafale B

Hi All, I've been working on this for the last couple of weeks

BOXING.jpg

This is a great kit, the detail is superb. The panel lines are engraved nicely, clean and crisp.

Sorry I have no spure shots, I got a little ahead of myself before the camera came out. This is going to be an OOB.

The Front office, it's the first time I have tried to spray the cockpit I would normally brush paint.

FO01.jpg

This is with a little dry brush and some colour

FO02.jpg

FO03.jpg

The back office.

BO01.jpg

And how the look together, before glue

FandB.jpg

I got the ordnance and fuel tanks painted.

IMG_1373.jpg

This is the first time I have tried to do pre-shading.

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

I got the cockpit in place and after that I needed to see how this will look, so here it is in tape.

Intape1.jpg

intape3a.jpg

Thanks for looking,

James

• Like 1

Update time, I have been working on the ordinance and fuel tanks this week.

This is a model of firsts for me.

1. First time to use Tamiya clear gloss - Very happy with the result

2. First proper oil wash - I will need to invest in a few more paint brushes but I'm happy with how it looks.

3. First time to try pre shading.

4. First time to try the filling technique I have seen around, it involves masking each side of the gap to be filled, applying filler of choice and then using a cotton bud dipped in thinner and wiped across the filler. Hey presto a nice smooth gap.

Any way onto the work

This is the bomb rack which will sport 3 GBU's

RafaleB01.jpg

One of the two wing mounted drop tank/fuel tank.

RafaleB02.jpg

The wings are on.

RafaleB03.jpg

And lastly a close up of the filled seam at the wing root.

RafaleB04.jpg

This was primed and there are a few flaws but with a quick pass of a couple different grades of micromesh sheets should see these disappear.

Thanks for looking.

James

Looking good James. I built the Rafale M from Revell and can confirm the decals are horrid !! No amount of sol/set got them to conform. I had to use a thinned solution of Klear/water which did the job eventually. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

• 1 month later...

Evening Lads,

I've gotten a bit of work done over the last few days.

First up one of the R550 Magic Missile and one of the GBU12's

E6298C95-782A-42E4-9432-A35CA224F114-785-0000005D9D02C224.jpg

On the GUB12's I did a little bit of work on the vain thingy at the front. On the left is my scratch effort and on the right is the kit version.

I cut of the round bit and the fins off and replaced them with plastic card fins and some round tube I have and I cut it to size.

E0710CDF-27FC-40DD-BBDB-3342F6A7078F-785-0000005DA25BAE83.jpg

I also wanted to get a feel for the large tail decals, so I worked on one side of the tail to see how I would get on.

ABFA22B4-16C8-46FF-946D-97DCE4ECD1D8-785-0000005D9780FD87.jpg

9F43595D-146D-42AA-903B-D645C7D0B84D-785-0000005D911A7D7A.jpg

After reading how bad the decals behaved, I have spent two days trying to get these to conform with a lot of micro sol and set, no luck, I used Filip's technique for this to no avail.( this has nothing to do with Filip's technique and all to do with the thickness of the decals)

Sooooo I tried a new and highly dangerous technique I had seen awhile ago on you tube. My plan was if I messed it up I could strip it and repaint and go with the other option the kit decal allow.

So this is what I did - I wiped the decal down with warm water to clean any left over micro sol/set and then with a wide brush I applied a coat of Tamiya extra thin cement and let it dry ( this took about 10-15secs) it softened the decal a lot. I then got another clean wide brush and worked the decal into the tail, light and quick strokes here. I got a little be carried away on the bottom part of the tiger, it looks a bit faded and up by the positioning lights, but there are spare decals for the lights so that should cover up that little mess.

I was happy with the result. Hopefully I can replicate this on the other side.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update time.

I got a bottle of Humbrol weathering powder in my LHS the other day and after watching a YouTube

I had to give it a try.

up6_zps0d5a158b.jpg

up7_zps872b6a2d.jpg

up5_zpscb1e31b3.jpg

And this is how the tail turned out after the kind donation of replacement decals form DaveA

up8_zpsf6a69a46.jpg

up9_zps7e89ca9a.jpg

And how it looks in place, this is not glued on.

up10_zps094c77e4.jpg

What I have left to do on this -
1. Clear coat the underside, I had to repaint this after a failed oil wash. For some reason it cut through my clear coat ( Tamiya clear + Klear, both cured for about 4 weeks)
2. Panel wash on the underside.
3. Paint remainder of the landing gear.
4. Glue all loose parts.
5. Flat coat everything.

Thanks for looking,

James

Thanks Lads,

This one is fighting me every step of the way.

@ George - The Decals I got from Dave went on fine, I did not have to use the extra thin to get them to sit down and behave.

@ Mr B - I'm going for a very dirty bird, as this is a tiger meet bird I know it would of been clean, but I'm using my newly acquired artistic

licence to make it look used and abused.

@ exdraken – Merci

More pics to come in the next day or two.

James

• 2 weeks later...