F-8E Crusader

TonyGol

G'day haven't built one yet but have three in the stash(waiting on the Mig Masters sheet to be released by Furball Decals in the immediate future.)

I don't think there are too many dramas with it from what I've read. Mainly an issue if you want the canopy open, the canopy hinge points are too small and I believe you need to sand down the burner can, so that it is flush with the end of the fuselage and not sticking out proud of it. Also a bit of fiddling around with the flaps in the down position and the wing raised.

I'm sure those with more knowledge on the 'Sader will offer some more tips.

Cheers,

Devo

Edited by Devo

Tony,

I've built two of these over the years and didn't experience any serious issues. Just off the top of my head I'd recommend you to pay special attention to the following areas:

- You’ll end up with a rather annoying seam about 1-2 cm inside the intake. I solved this with FOD covers on both builds.

- the issue with the canopy as Devo mentions. I did my first build with a partially open canopy - be it realistic or not

- make sure you adjust and dry fit before gluing. If building with the wings in the lower position you may have to use a little filler along the seams. Also, all the moving parts on the wing will need careful fitting.

- some of the fuselage panel lines are a bit soft, especially along the fuselage joint.

I was not aware of the issue with the afterburner can.

That's about all I can think of. All in all it's a very nice kit, which goes together quite easily

HTH

Bjarne

IMG_1566_1-1.jpg

IMG_1567_1-1.jpg

IMG_9108_1-1.jpg

IMG_9111_1-1.jpg

IMG_9113_1-1.jpg

Edited by Phantom726

Nice kit,

Just remember if the wings up then the flaps & slats are down.

also if the powers of the tailplanes tend to drop down at the back so the front goes to the top of the NMF area on the fuselarge.

Julien

its a great model - just watch the fit of the inner (small) flaps - as they are very tight to the fuselage sides.

Theres a fix for the canopy if you want it open. I'll need to look it up ( its from a Hyperscale post ages back), technically if you do open the canopy you need to add some detail in the area behind the seat headrest - its not a bulkhead - its open.

The Leading edge slats dont fit well in the up position - so be prepared for some work if you want a flaps up config.

Just to clarify - the wing is raised when engine power is on, and flaps and slats deploy automatically. You can see the wing raised with power off - but its for servicing so not usual.

With the wing down - you do see the flaps drooped, but not the LE slats.

Cheers

Jonners

Tony,

I just remembered another thing, cut of the 'horns 'on the nose gear as E's didn't have them. I believe it was a J thing AFAIK.

Regards,

Devo

Correct: the horns identify the later more robust landing gear used on the J and the other rebuilt versions.

Anyone have a good pic of the front undercarriage. Had quick look for one but no close up ones I have seen. Yes please for the Hyperscale post. I would like to make it a little different.

Found this pic on the net, dunno who to credit for it though?? Anyway It's an F-8E nose gear, no horns on it.

f8enosegear.jpg

Hi mate- my old build might help a little:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14813

The big one I'd forgotten is the totally spurious wing hinge blisters on the top of the wings: You would imagine its what "should" be there, but they aren't - the hinge area is flat. Not hard to remove though.

Heres a link to the Hyperscale article about the canopy too. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f8ecorrectionjh_1.htm

I actually went a bit further with my canopy hinge correction - you can see it in my thread above.

Hope this is of use. need anything else - just call! :)

Jonners