Zenithal lighting, Dark Vengeance Terminators

Ok, sorry for the delay (Will! :winkgrin: ) the minis have been done for days, but I just can't seem to get the bases or the photography right. The plan was dark bases, maybe a little mud/dust to tie the models in. Didn't look at all right. Neither did light ones. And to top it all off, when I finally got around to uploading the photos my lad strolls in and says 'not painting the skulls on their helmets, then, dad?' :doh: I hadn't even noticed them- twice! So, I'll be tackling that tomorrow...

The minis themselves are an absolute delight. Tons of detail- these are the plain ones!- crisp mouldings and the arm doesn't have to be fixed until after painting. I can't think of a single complaint.

Mad Steve might not like the colour, but the fluff says Dark Angels have bone coloured armour. Well, Britain's basically a rocky peat bog anchored in the North Atlantic and that's the exact shade of every bone I've ever come across outside of a butcher's display... :innocent:

IMGP6465a.jpg

IMGP6492a.jpg

IMGP6488a-1.jpg

IMGP6493a.jpg

IMGP6494a.jpg

IMGP6499a.jpg

IMGP6502a.jpg

I went for a higher contrast on the second mini- brighter highlights and deeper base colours. I fretted a little about doing it, but I quite like the way he turned out. Both of them, really. I was worried they'd look too cartoony, all black and white, like a Miller frame, but it looks quite subtle to me. But then I'm well aware of how biased painters are! :blush:

Go on fellas. What's the verdict? :tomato: (On the painting- I already know the photography sucks! :D )

It's amazing how the illusion falls apart when you change viewing angle... :blink:

IMGP6503a.jpg

Edited by oileanach
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting! Those are really interesting and educational - seeing the upright and sideways images makes it very clear how much of the lighting is painted on.

I think they're very neat - they look much bigger than they really are as a result. I much prefer the grey shadows (left) to the green - I wonder what blue would look like?

Also have you considered a dark wash to line around the raised details - I think that would separate them from the armour more and give them a crisper edge.

Will

Ok, I'll wash the details and re-post. Takes a little while, though, so it'll be a couple of days- it works better over a gloss coat, but then you have to re-apply matt after the wash dries.

Cheers fellas. I might even do a blue one while I'm at it... :)

I thought Deathwing Terminators armour was 'bleached bone' coloured? it may be the lighting but they look light grey?

Dark Angels are the coolest Chapter of Space Marines though...

Graeme

Every 'bleached bone' I've ever seen was pale green! :tease:

Although to be honest the colour choice was down to the selection of paints I've got to hand- lots of dull greens and greys. Should work out quite well for the cultists and the tactical squad.

I still prefer mine to the light tan/pale yellow ones that are all over the forums, though. :winkgrin: Biased? Moi? :innocent: I mean, is this really any better? :devil:

m2540388a_image-11xl.jpg

• 1 month later...