Photo Etch and Resin Detail Sets for Airfix Short Stirling - 1:72 White Ensign Models

Photo Etch and Resin Detail Sets for Airfix Short Stirling

1:72 White Ensign Models

When Bobby Moore lifted the Jules Rimet trophy back in 1966, few could have guessed that Airfix’s then brand new Short Stirling would still be soldiering on as the only available kit of the RAF’s first wartime ‘heavy’ nearly fifty years later. Despite the longevity of this venerable kit however, relatively few aftermarket items have been released for it over the years. Now White Ensign Models have released two comprehensive frets of photo etched parts and a set of resin wheels to help us to spruce up this Airfix classic.

Each of the photo etched frets arrives packed into a re-sealable plastic bag, safely ensconced in a sturdy hard-backed envelope. Detailed instructions are also included, clearly printed in black and white on A4 paper. One thing I particularly like about White Ensign’s instructions is that fact that they provide a detailed breakdown of each and every part. This gives the reassurance that they have really done their homework, as well as providing a useful reference for the modeller.

Short Stirling Interior Detail Set

stirlinginterior1.jpg

stirlinginterior2.jpg

The first of the sets contains parts for detailing the inside of the Airfix kit. Included are a number of larger, structural parts including the main cabin floor, the cockpit floor, the main cabin bulkhead, the forward bulkheads (port and starboard) and the aft cabin bulkhead. The cockpit is well catered for and features an instrument panel, side panel, throttle quadrant and details for the control column. Two complete seats for the pilot and co-pilot are also included.

A comprehensive set of parts is included for the bomb aimer’s position too, including the steps leading from the main cabin to the nose compartment, the bomb aimer’s couch, bomb sight, bombing computer and switching panels. The navigator’s position is comprised of a table, instrument box, side panel, stowage boxes and seats. The radio operator’s position is similarly well-appointed.

Moving further aft, White Ensign have provided the deck and bulkheads for the tail section, as well as the elsan toilet and privacy curtain. Racks for the smoke floats and flares are also included. Parts for detailing the insides of the defensive turrets are also on the fret, and include seats, ammunition boxes and structural framework. Overall this is an incredibly comprehensive set.

bin.jpg

Short Stirling Exterior and Wing Bomb Bay Detail Set

The second set contains parts for the outside of the airframe. The engine oil coolers, which are a prominent feature of the main landing gear bays are included, as are the main undercarriage bay frames. The wing bomb bays are also included, and use is made of folding parts to make construction a little easier.

The crew entry door for the rear fuselage is included, as is the crew access ladder. The engine front supports, aileron control linkages and a range of antennae and pitot masts are also provided, including the Yagi antennae and Mandrel antennae fitted to 100 Group aircraft.

stirlingexterior.jpg

bin.jpg

Short Stirling Weighted Wheels

These are simple but effective resin weighted wheels designed as direct replacements for the kit parts. The wheels are cast in cream resin and, as you would expect from White Ensign, the casting is first class.

boxtop.jpg

sprue1.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

It has taken nearly fifty years, but at last we have a comprehensive aftermarket offering for the Airfix Stirling. Hopefully the release of these sets will breathe new life into the venerable kit. If you fancy having a bash at the largest but least well-known of the RAF’s World War Two heavy bombers, then you should give these sets very serious consideration. Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of John at logo.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody! :) May i have your attention for a little while. Just anxious to learn more of the sofar unbeknownst

White Ensign Models and their p.e. sets for in particular the Airfix four engined kits (yes the ones with the wings)

I noticed the Stirling p.e. here seems to be readily available from them (WEM) and indeed the fret has a stamp of

2012, so i can`t be lagging all that far behind:) Certainly would love to bring some bells & whistles into my rather

scarce four engined Airfix fleet ! Now, for some reason my presumptious mind has led me to believe that these p.e.

sets were all "rare and oop" and would take great measures and some heavy portions of albow grease to dig up.

What about the Airfix Lancaster p.e. sets. Are they also as readily avaliable as the rest? (the old mk I/III kits that is)

I did just find an exterior Sunderland set that should be somewhere over the Atlantic by now coming in from some

place called ebay, California. They sure must have a lot of bays in the western Pacific region. Ok, that`s it i believe.

I may not hold the rank of the proverbial "goldmember" just yet, but good folks, please in the spirit of the original

goldmember, "throw me a freggin bone here" Thanks a million for any legitimate and relevant information...

"groovy baby" :bouncy:

Bjoern in Norway

• Like 1