Top Secret Luftwaffe '46 Project

Well, dear Doktor, if you so please (and desire to remove yourself from the blistering cold of the windtunnel), you will be overjoyed to know that Jessica Rabbit can be seen NOW on BBC2 television! She is so pleasing on ze eyes!

Zank you for the updates on zis vunderfull aircraft, it is most pleasing to see German efficiency at work.

The dear Doktor should have moved some where vere the weather has less effect!

down dis part of de vorld it is very hot, aud at the moment wet!!!!

you need more heat aud work!!! :whip:

and no Jessica Rabbit until you finish, though as art work on de side........ :bouncy::devil:

now have used it twice!

Edited by trickyrich

In the spirit of Christian Solidarity, informal truces, moments of peace and humanity amidst one of the most violent period of modern history were usually declared by the Allied and Nazi Germany on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The combatants from both sides habitually arranged informal ceasefires with their opponents over Christmas, but the truces were in general not nearly as widespread as those during WWI. The airmen on both sides also decide to spend their Christmas in the warmth of the mess halls rather than up there in the grey freezing skies.

In 1944, after the Allied landing in Normandy and the unprecedentedly intense bloody land battles, soldiers on both sides increasingly viewed the other side as less than human, so no more Christmas truces were sought.

Ve ze flyboys, however are more civilised. Ve believe in live and let live... Ve believe in creature comfort... Ve don't werk on Christmas Day! Ve prefer to fantasise about spending Christmas vith Jessica Rabbit in front of a roaring fire. I shall let your imaginations run amok :lol:

Ve vish everyone reading this a Happy Christmas!

The contest for air supremacy shall re-commence after the Christmas amnesty.

The_nightmare_before_christmas_poster_zpsd1a7ddd2.jpg

You have been warned... ve vill be back. When ve do, ve don't take prisoners.

The Christmas Day truce is over. Today is Boxing Day. Being German and clueless about the origin of this name, ve assume that the gloves are off. The contest for air supremacy shall re-commence.

What is in a name?

Sand Shark - Our aircraft has been nicknamed the Sand Shark because the original shark like carcass was found in the deserts of Iraq.

He 320 - Herr Doktor Ernst's official designation for the bird. Series 1 for basic model, e.g He 162, Series 2 for top of the range, e.g He 219. Series 3 for neue kutting edge tekhnolog. The next two digits 20 is the follow on serial number after the He219 UHU.

Nachtschwalbe - Nightjar.An innocuous nocturnal bird mostly active in the late evening and at night. It feed predominantly on moths and other flying insects. May be the German 's humorous idea of a nachtjager to eat up all the Mosquitoes.

Boogieman – An imaginary monster that has no specific form or appearance. Conceptions about it can vary drastically from eye witness account to eye witness account of the same event. In other words, it is simply an embodiment of pure terror.

The Beast - The Bible identified the Beast with the Devil. The sharpless,formless and pure essense of evil.

The R4M rocket, nicknamed the Orkan, was the first air to air rocket. It was developed by the Luftwaffe to counter the increased bomber threat during the later stages of air war over Germany

R4Mairtoairrocket_zpsffdc356f.jpg

The smokeless R7M rocket, nicknamed the Taifun, is a much improved air to air rocket. A phenomenal velocity (for a rocket) in excess of 800m/s and a flat trajectory (more similar to a kanone shot from the Mk 103 Motorkanone) offered by the brand new solid fuel motor increased the rocket’s effective range to and reduced dispersion therefore greatly increased accuracy.

In addition, the R7M introduced optional infrared beacon tracking together with a radio command fusing option. For the first time in Luftwaffe’s history, nachtjager crew could track both the target and the rocket with an AI radar sets with sufficient resolution (such as the newly introduced centimetric Berlin or Munchen radar sets) to command detonation of the high explosive warhead at the optimal moment. This primitive but yet practical fire control system was devised by Herr Doktors ZZ and TT. This dramatically improved lethality of Luftwaffe as the Allied aircrew discovered from 1945 onward.

TaifunLangeampKurze_zps5b61a9ef.jpg

Garbled air crew eye witness accounts of being “hit by hails of comets from all directions” and "raining fire and brimstone" by a fearsome, sinister and unseen enemy perhaps explained how the innocent Nightjar acquired its nightmarish reputation. The Boogieman is on the loose. And, the mighty 8th Air Force and Bomber Command have no effective countermeasure.. yet.

A most wunderbar collection of parts mein friend. Pray tell, with so many tantalising glimses, when can we see the machine in its glorious completeness and ready to serve the Reich?

...when can we see the machine in its glorious completeness and ready to serve the Reich?

Ve vill get crackin on this right away, Herr Oberst! (snaps heels and salutes)

My promised radar and sensor update was sidelined by an errant photo bucket. So, ve now make amends here.

The basic technology of radio-based detection and tracking was first demonstrated in 1904 by Herr Doktor Christian Hülsmeyer’s Telemobilskop that could detect ships and prevent collisions in dense fog. This was often cited as the first working radar. By the start of the war in 1939, both Britain and Germany deployed sufficiently proficient rudimentary systems of detection and tracking for military use. The commonly used acronym RADAR (for RAdio Detection And Ranging) was actually coined later by the U.S. Navy in 1940.

Early radar systems operated at low frequencies and only worked at short wavelengths. This required large transmitting and receiving antennae array. Clearly the application of such technology in air interception detection and target tracking required a necessary compromise due to the weight and the air resistance of the transmitting and receiving antennae array.

While the benefits of operating in the microwave portion (high frequencies and long wavelengths) of the radio spectrum were known earlier, the necessary transmitters for generating microwave signals of sufficient power were not available until 1940s.

ImageofCavityMagnetron_zps9c3bd6b2.jpg

A multi-cavity resonant magnetron (see above) had in fact been developed in 1935 by Herr Doktor Hans Hollmann, the German military high command however considered the frequency drift of Hollman's device to be undesirable for military applications.

The Luftwaffe only “woke up” when a working HS2, a revolutionary airborne, centimetric ground mapping radar, was recovered from the wreckage of a Stirling pathfinder shot down over the Netherlands on 3rd February 1943. The German military high command ordered the accelerated development of its own centimetric radar technology. Telefunken came up double quick time with the Rotterdam Gerät, which was essentially a copy-cat HS2 within months.

RadarBerlinFUG240_zps372f938d.jpg

Subsequent urgent development werks based on that led to the FuG-240 Berlin AI radar using a magnetron capable of generating frequencies at 3000 MHz.

RearRadarRadomecontrastedwithTailFinTopDown.jpg

A secondary minuturised Berlin AI radar (FuG-241) is installed in a rearward looking radome of the Nightjar to guard the vulnerable 6 o'clock.

Further refinements were made again after the latest H2S Mark III (essentially a copy of the Amerikaner H2X) was recovered intact from a downed Mosquito pathfinder in the Battle of Berlin on 18th November 1943.

AN-APS-3_PV-2_NAN4-46_zps5931aead.jpg

This technology windfall led to the definitive FuG-246 Munchen AI radar using a newly developed magnetron capable of generating frequencies at 9000 MHz and a superheterodyne receiver offered superior target discrimination.

RadarRadomeintheNose.jpg

The main FuG-246 Munchen AI radar antenna is installed in an elongated nose radome of the Nightjar

Finally. Telefunken’s mastery of this new technology coupled with existing werks on alarge parabolic mirror antenna resulted in the FuG-244 Bremenanlage Airborne Search and Surveillance Radar offering a range of up to 50km!

Unknown to all at this time (1944), this kind of application would eventually mature into the AWACS system in the later part of the 20th centuary...

Not forgetting the other side of the electronic divide, The captured H2S and H2X sets enabled the development of effective countermeasures in the form of the FuG 350 Funkgerät (the Naxos passive radar detectors, which enabled Luftwaffe’s own nachtjagers to home on the transmissions of Allied H2S and H2X sets. Finally, ve have an answer for the pesky Mosquitopanik. The tables vill be turned, the hunter vill become the hunted.

Mein Oberst, ve hope to get the Nightjar ready for the maiden test flight by 31st December 1944.

Gotten morgen, Herr Oberst!

May I present today's progree report?

Whatwasintended.jpg

Ve started with this carcass recovered by our scientist from the the Iraqi desert in 1939.

DerFuererobjects.jpg

A proposal to develop Luftwaffe's uber advanced nachtjager successor to the He 219 UHU was presented to RLM in 1942. But, Der Führer was not amused at all. :fuhrer:

ThislooksmuchmorelikeaHeinkel.jpg

So, Herr Doktor Ernst went back to the drawing board but he could only come up rather conservative Heinkel's signature look.

SnapShotofthe2ndMockup.jpg

Sieggie and Tizzie were given their maiden design assignment in 1943.

brain-sensors_2154931b.jpg

The long lost Herr Doktor ZZ was tracked down and enlisted to werk on the integrated sensor and fire control system in 1944.

The development was protracted... many problems were encountered... not many obvious solutions...

A few moments before the secret projekt's dateline on 30th December, our dynamic duo finally had a breakthrough...

Nightmare_zps762eaf24.jpg

Performance boost inspired by Jessica Rabbit's curvilicious full figure and Herr Doktor Küchemann's carrots saved the day. Wind tunnel testing over Christmas made Sieggie and Tizzie boldy revise the projected maximum speed to 980km/h! Even better, the airframe exhibited exceptional stability in the aircraft's expected operational flight envelope.

grey_nightjar_zps34518bc0.jpg

Herr Doktor Ernst was overjoyed. He could finally tell Willy to stick it up.... The new aircraft was christened He 320 NACHTSCHWALBE on 26th December.

Der boys in the paintshoppen could not contain their excitement, they stayed up uber nacht experimenting vith various camou scheme for the neue nachtjager.

ExperimentinMottlingunderwraps_zps55ab05c3.jpg

I found this under wraps in a corner of the paintshoppen.

Mein Gott! Das ist wunderbar. Sie haben eine gutt nachtjager projekt auf dem werks Herr Doktor.

Please excuse the poor quality German, it's funny how I always gets so much more fluent when I'm drunk, any psychologists please correct me if wrong but think it's called context dependant memory...

Herr Doktor, zis is most pleasink, you and your boys haff done very well! Zat Nachtschwalbe is lookink like a deadly implement to provide much consternation to ze Allies!

Vilen dank for ze update, I look forward to more.

Herr Doktor Parabat, good of you to drop by.

Herr Oberst! (snaps to attention, clicks heels and salute)

OnPaintshoppenFloor_zps62717b41.jpg

Ze paintshoppen boys vere overcomed by zee fumes form Tamiya tattle cans. They complained of headache, so I packed them off for an early nacht.

DontShoot_zpsbf4c88f6.jpg

Someone left zees signs in my flugzeig ... who is to say ve Germans do not have a sense of humour :lol:

Anyway, I had a peep at the mottling done two nacht before.

MottledTailCloseUp_zps88e3b60a.jpg

Ve vere supposed to test the radar and fire control system integration today, but the electricity vas knocked out again. Those pesky Amerikaners and their allies are getting too active for my liking. I vill make sure they pay when our Nachtschwalbe is ready.

Wunderbar, wunderbar! Zis is most pleasink! Ze mottling looks like it vas done by Michaelangelo himself (or perhaps ze Fuhrer, as he was a most misunderstood master painter?!)

To see zis evolution, so good to see ze German engineers have corrected everzink zat vas wrong viz ze original Amerikaner 'Sand Shark'.

Ze mottling looks like it vas done by Michaelangelo himself...

Herr Doktor Parabat! You are not psychik, are you?

Mien haupt paintshoppen guy is named Michael Engels Drachen. His family originated from zee Balkans but his maternal bloodline could traced all the way back to Renaissance Italy to one particular Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni. You can say kreativity runs in the veins of our haupt paintshoppen mann.

SplintteredWing_zps1e315aac.jpg

DontShootMeIFF_zps761f09b4.jpg

As you can see, my Michael von Heinkel Flugzeugwerke in Warnemünde is not only equally handy with a paint brush or spray gun, he is a little krazy too!

AVeritableNightmare_zps15b6c3e0.jpg

I am sure Michael's great (to the power X) grandfather would have been proud.

Ve even tested zee Kamouflage in the lighting stage...

DaylightTopView_zps93c5190e.jpg

DaylightBottomView_zpsce64beda.jpg

Photos taken in ambient day light under simulated overcast skies.

NightmareTopView_zps32882fd5.jpg

NightmareBottomView_zps6d8517d5.jpg

Photos taken at nacht with simulated full moon light.

You tink zis is effective? Ve tink if you can see our Nachtschwalbe in zee air, you are not likely to survive to tell zee tale.

Ha ha, how can zay say ve are havink no sense of humour?! Ven ze Allied sky-pirates are finished straining zere eyes to catch ze 'witty banter' unter ze wing mittel, ze joke, as zey say, vill be on zem!

Mein Gott, zis is wunderbar!!! I haff noticed zat zer nose bay still appears to contain a bit of a space zer. Vass is goink to fitten in der spacen profided? Wo ist der wunderkannonmegafleigerknokenouten?

Kannot vait for der ext inshtallment.

Click heels, does action for "seen kyle" exits stage right.

I haff noticed zat zer nose bay still appears to contain a bit of a space zer. Vass is goink to fitten in der spacen profided?

Hauptmann Lemur, you have experten sharp eyes! Herr Ernst has kept Herr Doktor ZZ and TT's werk on zee fire kontrol system at another secret facility somewhair else. Unglücklicherweise, zay are so well hidden, ve don't know vhair zay are! I don't know how to tell Herr Oberst... (wrings hands)

Fear not, zee wunderkannonmegafleigerknokenouten had been installed. Vee bore sighted zee kanone and shot a few hundred rounds earlier today. Everyzink (other than zee secret fire kontrol system is werking as advertised.

"Scheiße! Doppel-Scheiße!! Damned zat bloody Willy!!!" Herr Doktor Ernst roared as Kommodore Daniel beat a hasty retreat the boss's wood panelled office.

Kommodore Daniel was the bearer of RLM's order to "postpone" zee scheduled flight test on 31st December. RLM wanted the Nachtschwalbe, but it wants Messerschmitt's Me 634 too.

Apparently, willy Willy gained the confidence of Eva Braun. Zee poor frau (you can't really blame her) was apparently convinced Willy's fluegzieg is more advanced than the Heinkel equivalent simply because its serial number Me 634 is bigger than Heinkel's (He 320).

Eva used her charms to influence der Führer to order a competitive fly off between zee two nachtjäger contenders. So, our Top Secret Projekt has been officially Kicked Unter der Table Again!

Ve von Heinkel Fluegzigwerks know ve have a superior nachtjäger. Ve vill vipe zee willy Willy...

Donner un blitzen! Such setbacks remind me of Goring! Never mind Herr Doktor, zis vill allow you ze time necessary to ensure zat you haff a vinner in ze contest!

I can understand your frustration mitt der delays, but please, do be continuink mit your progress, ze NachtSchwalbe is going to be ze war vinner, I can feel it!

Herr Oberst and fellow Herr Doktors (and plastik surgeons), a Happy Neue Year to all!

Rest assured zis secret projekt vill continue. Ve have been verboten by RLM from conducting unauthorised testflug until 28th February. Ve will nevertheless refine the design to further improve our Nachtschwalbe so that Herr Doktor Ernst could vipe willy Willy's ... in the competitive fly off.

ZZ and TT were relieved to receive this respite, the extra time vill allow them to refine the fire kontrol system. In paticular, the A-10 pilot station and the F-16 weapons kontrol system station have seemingly vanished without leaving a trace. The Gestapo interrogated the prime suspect, the Carpet Monster, but is satisfied the Teppich Monster is indeed innocent (there was no evidence of carpet in the kitchen area that ZZ and TT worked!)

Ve hope to conduct a taxi and runway test of zee aircraft in a week or two.

• 4 months later...