SH-37 Viggen

Here we go with the Heller Viggen, built to represent an SH-37 maritime attack aircraft.

Decals are from Flying Colors, namely Sheet 72-109.

Resin includes three sets from Maestro Models:

K7218: cockpit

K7219: Intakes

K7250: Wheel bays.

I will almost certainly add to the resin, as I intend to use the wheel replacement set and some stores from Maestro.

The model will be finished in the iconic splinter scheme. It's a very scary scheme to paint so - being a tremendous coward - I've taken the easy way out. The white sheets you see in the background are masks from Gator's Mask. :D

001_zps317a8c29.jpg

So... here are the kit parts.

008_zps0786ad86.jpg

009_zps65c42e86.jpg

010_zpsab12ea95.jpg

011_zpsd6b7e95c.jpg

These really are the Heller parts, I promise you! :D

And the resin

007_zps860024e4.jpg

Wish me luck! I'm going in... :pilot:

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1

Hej Enzo!

I think that something is very wrong with this picture!!!

I'm confused. You say that you're going to build the Heller kit and provide a pic of the Heller box.

BUT, the pictures of the plastic parts are not the Heller kit!!!

That kit is the ancient Hasegawa/Frog tooling!

If you're going to build that one as a SH 37 you'll have some trouble. It represents the early prototype like the one I'm building.

Andreas

• Like 1

Hej Enzo!

I think that something is very wrong with this picture!!!

I'm confused. You say that you're going to build the Heller kit and provide a pic of the Heller box.

BUT, the pictures of the plastic parts are not the Heller kit!!!

That kit is the ancient Hasegawa/Frog tooling!

<Captain Mainwaring>

Yes, I wondered when someone was going to notice that.

</Captain Mainwaring>

:lol:

The plastic parts are actually from the Airfix kit. I already had the photos on my hard disk and just assumed that they were the correct ones. :wall: I'll take photos of the real parts tonight and amend my post.

But. it will provide an interesting comparison between the two kits.

The plastic parts are actually from the Airfix kit. I already had the photos on my hard disk and just assumed that they were the correct ones. :wall: I'll take photos of the real parts tonight and amend my post.

But. it will provide an interesting comparison between the two kits.

It certainly will! The Heller kit is way better than anything else ever released (in any scale for that matter). I'm a bit surprised that no company has made a new Viggen in 1/72. We'll see if the new one in 48 scale will be scaled down perhaps..

Okay... I've edited my first post with real pictures of the Heller kit.

For those who are wondering what Andreas was on about, it turns out that I inadvertently posted pictures of the Airfix kit. Andreas is quite right - the kit simply cannot represent a production standard Viggen without a lot of work. .

But just for information, here are the pictures of the Airfix parts which I originally posted.

002_zps16f0c32e.jpg

003_zps629ab3ac.jpg

004_zps23a68cc4.jpg

005_zpsa2c5c12e.jpg

006_zpsb9fdd3f3.jpg

And a couple of photos comparing the Airfix and Heller kit parts.

012_zps6a9f3e02.jpg

013_zps3fa07674.jpg

As you can see, the Airfix fuselage does not have the area ruling or the bulged spine. It may be possible to build a production standard aircraft using left over parts from the Heller kit. I will have suitable parts of the T-Bird Viggen left over, but that's a project for another day - maybe the Obsolete Kit GB.

Edit: Ah, you're talking about the Tarangus one?

Yes!

The Airfix kit has one thing that the original packing (ie NOT the JA37 version) of Heller's Viggen was lacking.. The pylons under the air intake! That's about the only thing the only thing that makes the Airfix kit worth buying..

Edited by Z Aviator

Enzo, this look like a very promising build.

But, I was wondering, how long did it take you to gather all these parts? decals, model kit, aftermarket accessories, considering the fact that all of them are quite rare to find.

Sernak

• Like 1

The panel lines are raised so the first thing to do is to rescribe the wings.

014.jpg

My rescribing is slightly simplified. I'm still honing my scribing skills.

The one piece wing undersurfaces have also been rescribed. The undercarriage bays have been enlarged somewhat to allow the resin bays to fit in. The wing is very thin so the usual method of thinning the wings wouldn't work. Maestro have therefore gone for the novel method of having you cut the bay edges away so that the resin bay fits through. You can then fill the ragged edges and sand them flush with the lowersurfaces of the wing.

At least that's the plan! :D

015.jpg

But, I was wondering, how long did it take you to gather all these parts? decals, model kit, aftermarket accessories, considering the fact that all of them are quite rare to find.

I though so too, but it turned out that they parts weren't all that difficult to find. I got the resin from Rebell Hobby in Sweden. The original Heller Viggen is next to impossible to find but it was pointed out to me that although the current kit is a JaktViggen, it can still be build as the ground attack version. There are plenty of Heller JaktViggens available and no doubt it will be re-released again soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay... I've decided to exercise the right I claimed at the start of the build - that of chucking in some more resin. :D

In this case it is the RAT bay from Maestro Models.

Here are the interior parts ready to be painted. I was a bit enthusiastic when I removed the nosewheel bay from its slab and ended up breaking through the bay roof in the forward area. So I trimmed the damage and replaced the roof with a piece of plastic card.

The gear bay walls in the fuselage halves have been rimmed bay drastically to allow the bay to fit.

016.jpg

And here are the parts painted and ready to be installed.

017.jpg

018.jpg

Not much to report this week. The airframe is complete. The intakes are resin from Maestro. The flaps on the canards have been drooped by scoring them with a blade and bending them sightly. Lots of filler involved to fair in the nose, which was a dreadful fit!

019.jpg

020.jpg

Next job - priming and cleanup so I can start on the interesting stuff next weekend. :yahoo:

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 2 weeks later...

All the masks have now been removed. During the painting process I was starting to get a bit concerned as it seemed that the masks were not particularly low tack and I thought there would be some problems in removing them. I was right.

In some cases the masks came off but left a residue on adhesive on the paint. In others, the masks came off but took various levels of paint with them - in some cases right down to the plastic! :yike: :wall: In yet others, the masks steadfastly refused to come off at all and had to be sliced off with a very sharp blade. :(

What you see below is the model in the process of being touched up. I originally tried touching up with a hairy stick, but the light green touchups stood out like a sore thumb. So now I will mask off the relevant bits and respray. I reckon it will take me as long to mask and respray as it would have done if I had masked freehand with Tamiya tape.

On balance I really can't recommend these masks. I certainly wouldn't use them again.

025_zpse8ee0407.jpg

026_zps0fd4aba2.jpg

027_zps14969602.jpg

Let me congratulate you Enzo, that's really looking very good.

Hopefully you're enthusiastic enough to take us thru to the finish line.

I painted my first Viggen in splinter - by hand :banghead: what a task :hypnotised: !

Hence I used a really simple scheme for my recent Viggen - and thanks for the gunpack :mg:

• Like 1

Nice job Enzo. I always loved the splinter scheme, even if it is a complete pain for the modeller.

Complete pain = challenge! :D

I once heard about an interview with an author. The interviewer asked "Do you enjoy writing?"

The author replied "well... I enjoy having written..."

I think the Viggen splinter cam is a similar concept. I nightmare to paint but - ohhhhhhh - it looks good having been painted! :D

I once heard about an interview with an author. The interviewer asked "Do you enjoy writing?"

The author replied "well... I enjoy having written..."

I think the Viggen splinter cam is a similar concept. I nightmare to paint but - ohhhhhhh - it looks good having been painted! :D

Bit like me and going for a run; hate the thought of going for a run but "I enjoy having run..."