Adversary A-4F Super Fox #50 (Hasegawa 1/48)

Jens

I got a little carried away when painting a couple of adversary Scooters last night. It turned out to be a 4+ hours painting session. :pilot:

Some canopy frames got a shot of black so I also pre-shaded my A-4F Super Fox. One thing led to another so I ended up painting all three colours on this Skyhawk.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.airfighte...91dfb_afpix.jpg

This is how it looked at 2 a.m. after having all three colours applied:

A-4F_50_3688_800.jpg

A-4F_50_3690_800.jpg

A-4F_50_3692_800.jpg

It's painted FS30140, FS13531 and FS10219 accordingly, the two latter from Xtracolor. The small tan dots are intentional btw. ;)

As you can see I will have to refine the demarcation lines on this one too.

Jens

Great stuff Jens. I think though you have missed out the darker colour brown (touchup) on quite a few areas. I love your adversaries and would not like it if you missed this one.

There are a few darker (purer, unbleached) patches to note.

Your photo was pre total respray (late 1991) so in 1992, she looked like this:

A-4F 155000 NFWS

You can see there are three colours in the original. You will need to replicate the three original browns and then fade them. Once you've done that, you'll need to respray the darker brown as touchups. That should do it nicely.

Have you gone for a scale effect on the paint as they look to be one or two tones lighter than the original. Not saying it's bad, on the contrary. You also missed a small patch of buff on the port side of the nose by the radar demarcation point. Otherwise, a major triumph so far.

Oh and by the way, the nosecone is a slightly darker brown, a fourth colour brown if you like.

The canopy itself was a lighter brown, a fifth colour if you like (FS30279 I believe).

Refer to the instructions (which are not 100% correct in fact as they miss the light patch on the nose which I mention above and they show the touchup lines on the tail, filled in):

http://www.aircraftr...wn48026/05.shtm

Hope this helps you make a save.

Edited by Loki

Thanks for the comments Loki. :)

I am nowhere near finished painting this Scooter yet though. I will have to re-spray all three colours as well as add some touch-ups here and there (and the darker radome too). I also have to find out what the lower wing leading edge pattern looks like. You can see a tan leading edge on the port side main gear door which both Fightertown and I missed initially.

The difference in tones might come from the different lighting condditions. Remember my pictures were shot with a flash. The model doesn't look far off IRL. ;)

Jens

Brilliant job in that case my friend. Do you have good resources for this a/c showing the underside?

Take some shots in daylight...... Would be great to compare the colours.I have this decal sheet too and have noticed some minor errors on the depiction. Pretty accurate on the whole and I do love their decals. My two favourite decal companies are Fightertown and Afterburner bar none. Both companies run by really nice blokes too.

How are you doing the camo? Are you freehanding the airbrush or masking with "sausages"?

Thanks.

No, unfortunately I have only been able to find three pictures of BuNo 155000 in this scheme, two of which are almost identical apart from the lighting.

I agree with you in regards to Afterburner og Fightertown. Add Furball to those though. ;)

All my paint jobs are done freehand. I'm too lazy to mask (unless necessary).

Jens

Hi Jens,

Awesome work!!

What ratio did you use to thin the Xtracolor paints? I keep getting an orange peel effect when I'm using them (perhaps because I don't use them very often thus, I forget the ideal ratio :banghead: ). I don't know if it is the fact that I'm not using the company's thinner or something else.

Could you tell me your ratio of Xtracolor-thinner and the air compressor psi that you use?

Cheers

Sernak

Hi Jens,

Awesome work!!

What ratio did you use to thin the Xtracolor paints? I keep getting an orange peel effect when I'm using them (perhaps because I don't use them very often thus, I forget the ideal ratio :banghead: ). I don't know if it is the fact that I'm not using the company's thinner or something else.

Could you tell me your ratio of Xtracolor-thinner and the air compressor psi that you use?

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks a lot Sernak. :)

My paint-to-thinner ratio varies as I rarely measure how much of each I add. I aim for a milky consistency and I always test spray on an old model before applying paint to the new model. If the paint is too thin I just add more paint, and if I cannot make the sharp demarcation lines I add more thinner.

I use Model Master Airbrush Thinner for all my paints (Xtracolor, Model Master, Revell, WEM and Humbrol). I usually add a drop or two of cellulose thinners, especially to the Xtracolor paints, in order to speed up the drying time (the A-4M I painted yesterday is dry now). ;)

My compressor is set at approx. 40 psi, but I use a double action airbrush so I can control the pressure myself. I use an Iwata HPC airbrush.

Speaking of painting, guess what I have just been up to...! :winkgrin:

I have been trimming the demarcation lines, adjusted the lower wing pattern and painted the nose a slightly darker brown.

A-4F_50_3758_800.jpg

A-4F_50_3760_800.jpg

A-4F_50_3762_800.jpg

A-4F_50_3761_800.jpg

My TA-4J #13 also had its demarcation lines trimmed but it's difficult to see from pictures so I will spare you. :coolio:

Jens

Thanks for the comments. They are highly appreciated. :)

Looks very nice! Is it truly a Super Fox? If so, where did you get the big intakes? (Note: I am no expert on A-4s, so forgive me if these questions prove that.)

bob

Thanks Bob. Yes, it is a Super Fox. The Hasegawa adversary A-4F includes the larger Super Fox/Mike intakes.

Jens

• 2 weeks later...