Adversary TA-4J #13 (Hasegawa 1/48)

Jens

I have started painting my third adversary TA-4F/J (so far). It wil be finished as #13 in a scheme that looks a bit like used on the Japanese RF-4E;

http://a4skyhawk.org...lay/154657i.jpg

It's a standard Hasegawa TA-4J built OOB. After adding the last major bits today I pre-shaded it, followed by the tan (Xtracolor FS10219) and the Euro I green (Xtracolor FS14092). The last green will be a Model Master green (FS34097), and since it's flat (and thus drying faster) I will wait until the first two colours have dried before applying it. I don't want the paint to crack.

Today's first progress:

TA-4J_13_3676_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3677_800.jpg

As usual camo is done freehand. :)

The decals will come from the Classic Airframes TA-4J. The CA painting guide is not entirely correct so I'm primarily using reference pictures to determine the pattern.

My two previous TA-4F/Js:

TA-4J_14blue_0999_800.jpg

TA-4F_15_3037_800.jpg

I am also working on five other TA-4F/Js, an A-4E, an A-4F Super Fox, an A-4K and an A-4M. All TA-4s and the A-4E/F will also be adversaries.

Jens

Love these adversary scooters. Got lots in the stash myself with decals from afterburner (Scooter bandits I and II), Fightertowns (Cylons and Bandits). Brilliant decal sheets and looking forward to improving my skills to do them justice.

Great start so far Jens, keep going and good luck.

Thanks Loki. :)

Last night I actually sprayed the last green colour. It was Model Master FS34097, but unfortunately it didn't act as nicely as the Xtracolor paints so I am not quite satisfied with the demarcation lines. That means I will have to touch up the two previous colours.

TA-4J_13_3681_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3682_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3684_800.jpg

Jens

• Like 1

Good evening Jens.

Really nice work on all those Skyhawks - Adversaries. I'm a big fun of these "birds"!!

Have you managed to find photos from both side views of the aircraft or you're just guessing how the camouflage would be on the other side?

The only photo that I've got is the same as yours and I never thought that the colors of this camouflage could be similar to those of a Japanese RF-4E. Good thinking !!!!

Thank you for the inspiration.

By the way, David W. Aungst has done some remarkable job with a few adversaries scooters. You might wanna check them or contact him for some advice regarding those colors.

If I'm correct the serial number of this aircraft is 154657.

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks Sernak! :)

I am familiar with David Aungst's Skyhawks - they are very inspirational!

You're right about the BuNo being 154657. I have three pictures on this aircraft, one being from the port side with the dark grey lower surfaces being very obvious.

Jens

Hi Jens,

I was having a look last night at Osprey's book (one of those great titles that is hard to find in nowadays), the Superbase 2 - MIRAMAR, and at page 52 it has a photo of a two-seat Scooter with the number "13" and the sn:154313. TALKING about some crazy weathering!!!!

If you have it, take a look.

When I bought this book back in 1989, I was so excited about building the specific aircraft that, I forgot that I didn't have neither the appropriate decals, nor the kit, colors' FS numbers, and additional photos!!

But, now that I do have them all, I don't have the necessary time :owww: !!!!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Sernak

I have that book at home - will have to have a look at the "13" in the book. :)

I have made a mistake on some of the five TA-4Js I am assembling at the moment. I added the lower aft fuselage part without flare bucket but two or three of the ones I though I was building actually had the flare bucket. Go figure. Only one of those will have it and the others will just end up in some other schemes. :banghead:

Jens

Last night I applied decals to "13". They are from the Classic Airframes TA-4J kit and are printed by Cartograf.

Since I chose to paint the lower surfaces dark grey as opposed to CA's light grey suggestion I had to find another national marking for the lower wing.

TA-4J_13_3772_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3773_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3774_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3776_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3777_800.jpg

TA-4J_13_3778_800.jpg

Jens

• Like 1