Yamaha Virago XV1000

Oddball

I actually started this a few months ago, but it's been languishing in the pile of shame for a while now. However, seeing as my dad had one of these before he progressed to a Harley, and his birthday is coming up in just over a month, I've decided I'm going to finish this one off and present it to him.

Along with the earlier assembly of the frame and stripping of the chrome, I've made a start on the engine, and given the ex-chrome plated parts a nice coat of alclad black base. I also filled the awful line that owes its thanks to the two part fuel tank.

DSCF1940.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

The fuel tank and side panels have now had their first coat of halfords grey primer. Once it's cured, it's time for a coat of white, then painty time. :pilot:

Interesting subject! Looking good thus far, too. Ah, those crazy 80s sickles! :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% on the colour yet. Part of me wants to do it the usual maroon colour as suggested by the destructions, but I have a slightly louder scheme I might just go for. Decisions decisions.

Well I painted mine bright yellow :analintruder:

But then it was basically 90% de chromed (left the engine), and painted black instead. The wheels were also yellow at first, but it kinda had a serious uhhhhhhhhh factor, so they were then resprayed black as well. With a nice faint weathering on the black, it actually looks really nice.

This kit is just the bike, no rider included.

Chris, I use a badger 200 single action, and spraying that sprue I was at roughly 40psi. I can't give you an exact figure since I don't have a pressure regulator. The paint is alclad black base, which I find you have to give a very light first and second coat to build it up, otherwise it pools and runs incredibly easily. So quite a high pressure with a very low paint flow through it. Saying that, I have always sprayed alclad, and indeed all my paints, between 30 and 50psi. I know they say to keep it low, but to be honest I find it goes on easier at higher pressures. Maybe that's just my airbrush, but my advice is to experiment, you'll start to get a feel for what your airbrush likes. And the high press low flow combination lets me get a lot closer without the risk of pooling the paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress on the beastie. Chrome parts have now been sprayed with alclad chrome and protected with a coat of klear/future, as the chrome is (in my experience) the most delicate of alclad's finishes.

The engine is now ready to be put into the frame. Main engine sprayed with a coat of alclad aluminium on a base of tamiya X-18. Chrome parts added and the cylinder head bolts picked out with humbrol 27002.

DSCF1947.jpg

DSCF1948.jpg

Also painted the wheels and assembled the rear swing arm. Wheels were painted tamiya X-18 and the spokes and rims were detailed again using humbrol 27002.

DSCF1949.jpg

Keep watching.

Odd.

Okay, some more progress has been made. The speed at which this kit goes together is amazing, testimony perhaps to Tamiya's great engineering. Once the prep work is done it just falls together.

Frame is almost done, now I need to put some more coats of clear on the tank and side panels, as the tank has to be added before any more progress can be made.

DSCF1950.jpg

DSCF1952.jpg

What do you guys think? First flame job in about 10 years. :S

DSCF1953.jpg

Odd.

he progressed to a Harley

Progressed? :lol: OK, I'll leave it there. :lol:

Looking very nice so far.

Love the finish on the lump and scrolling down the thread I REALLY wasn't expecting flames.

They'll look great once they're all glossy.

• 3 weeks later...