Dark Vengeance Librarian

Librarian Turmiel almost didn't make it to the photo-shoot, due to an unfortunate cat-shiny thing encounter while his cloak was drying... :violin:

I managed to rescue the paint job- mostly- but my moggies weren't very popular for a couple of days. Ah, well, teach me to leave stuff lying around after dark. <_<

I had some fun setting up the photo's, but I'm really struggling with just a couple of angle poise lamps. Has anyone used a light box/booth for snapping minis? Any thoughts on how much you have to invest to get a decent result? I've seen the mobile booth GW use; it looks the mutts nuts, but I reckon I've ridden motorcycles that cost less! Alternately, how about photographers lamps- are they worth the throw? Bearing in mind I'm on a pretty tight budget (yep, I am Scottish, why do you ask? :whistle: )

Anyway, the little chap ended up looking like this after the combined assault from my brushes and the feline tag team:

IMGP6413.jpg

IMGP6420.jpg

IMGP6421.jpg

A wee play with lighting:

IMGP6400a.jpg

I had a play with the editing software while I was patching up some of the damage the photos revealed... :winkgrin:

IMGP6419.jpg

Any thoughts, comments, advice or general mickey taking welcome. Particularly with reference to macro photography! :D

Edited by oileanach
  • Like 1

I love the effect of his psychic power coming from his hand! Another excellent figure completed, nice work!

He looks good - your edge highlights are lovely and clean - but maybe a bit glossy?

For photos, I really like using a propped up pad of white paper in front of a window on a cloudy day. You need a tripod and self-timer (or remote) and it's not as consistent as a light box, but the quality of light is lovely - very diffuse, and it's cheap.

Will

No shortage of cloudy days in Glasgow, Will! I've tried daylight, but the results were mixed. Multiple table lamps, heavily adjusted light balance in camera and now a hefty flash unit have all been brought to bear, but I'm still not getting the results I'd like. For example, the librarian has a pre shaded cloak, with pale blue folds and recesses visible to the naked eye- washed out completely in the phots. :hmmm: The satin varnish came up a treat, though! :winkgrin: (Matt next time, methinks...) I hit the same snag with the latest shots of my speeder- I could get the osl in shot, but the mini's were lifeless. Or I could get bright shots of their skin tones- the whole point of posting them, really- but then the speeder ended up looking washed out and grey. I suppose I could get some decent editing software and sort it out in raw, but I only want a decent snap of some mini's! It's all getting a bit complicated...

I'll try your cloudy solution, but I think that some kind of diffuser is the real solution. Maybe a cheapo light tent? I'll let you know how I get on.

Back to painting. I don't really like edge highlights, it doesn't look at all realistic in my eyes, but it's such a standard in the hobby that minis look odd without it. I'm just going with the flow, really, following my old habits.

Still, having said that, I'm trying my hand at zenithal lighting. It's tricky, very easy to over egg the effect- bit like osl, in that respect- but just as easy to under play it. I'm doing a base for a Terminator I've just finished; I'll stick the finished mini up here, maybe you and the guys could critique it for me? I've got an identical figure I'm going to do with more contrast, hopefully to allow me to make my mind up about which look I prefer. Or whether edge highlights aren't such a bad thing after all! :D

Edited by oileanach

You've probably tried this, but do you have centre-weighted or spot metering on your camera? I find that really helpful for getting good exposure that isn't thrown by the background.

By the way, is that a monkey I hear? <OW>