Hi all, finished my Testors 1/48 O-2a Skymaster
ouI0eiF.jpg
which I`ve done to represent an aircraft of the 23rd TASS, used for night missions over the Ho-Chi-Minh trail during the Vietnam war, call sign `Nail`
AvhXct1.jpg
Scratch built some dodgy front seats and radio gear in the back, also fitted with 7 shot rocket launcher and flare dispenser which I also cobbled together
Ng634U8.jpg
they had the stbd window removed for the observer/navigator to lean out of with a `starlight scope` to search for targets and a cover for the anti collision light, which I also did
0fG9OJm.jpg
and some little plates in board of the landing lights to reduce the glare
lgf8aph.jpg
Hope you enjoy looking at

• Like 11

Russ, very nice now it's finished, impressive and very different. The other day i asked about those windows - did you do anything special, replace any of the kit clear mouldings...? The two kits I have (Testors and Italeri boxings) both deserve much thinner, clearer windows...

I see that Hathorn book is readily available on Amazon, will order it.

Tony

• Thanks 1

Russ, very nice now it's finished, impressive and very different. The other day i asked about those windows - did you do anything special, replace any of the kit clear mouldings...? The two kits I have (Testors and Italeri boxings) both deserve much thinner, clearer windows...

I see that Hathorn book is readily available on Amazon, will order it.

Tony

Cheers Tony, No, apart from a couple of dips in Klear and a coat of gloss varnish, they`re all the kit transparencies.

I think it`s a great book, got me a bit addicted on the `secret war` , now I`ve got books on ravens, air america, nimrods and all sorts..

Outstanding job on both builds Russ. You nailed the finish on the Skymaster perfectly. I have the privilege to know most of the "Nails" and a couple of Ravens who flew those missions over Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. In fact we have two of their O-2's on display at our museum here in Ft. Worth, and one that still flies the airshow circuit. Again outstanding builds Sir.

Dave Fassett

• Thanks 1

Wow....(in Spain we say ufffffffff) They are two beauties......I had a Skymaster (Arii 1/72)....somewhere in my shelf....I don't find it.... :hanging: I love this planes, both of them. Days ago I was watching Bat 21 with a friend (Bibriel, he also posts his models here). He started his Skymaster.....I'm still looking for mine.....a poo-poo.....I've never have seen one in black...but is nice, very nice. And what about the Invader.....a beauty....Congratulations....a very good work, like as usual.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, finished my Testors 1/48 O-2a Skymaster

awsome, that is so cool

malc.

SAM_5358.jpg

which I`ve done to represent an aircraft of the 23rd TASS, used for night missions over the Ho-Chi-Minh trail during the Vietnam war, call sign `Nail`

SAM_5363.jpg

Scratch built some dodgy front seats and radio gear in the back, also fitted with 7 shot rocket launcher and flare dispenser which I also cobbled together

SAM_5360.jpg

they had the stbd window removed for the observer/navigator to lean out of with a `starlight scope` to search for targets and a cover for the anti collision light, which I also did

SAM_5362.jpg

and below a pic with it accompanied by its `truck busting` partner the B-26k `Nimrod`

SAM_5364.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at

awsome

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Resurrected this old thread as part of my ongoing research into the Cessna O-2 Skymaster and in anticipation of the new ICM kit this year. I'm also in the middle of the Reginald Hathorn book 'Here there are Tigers' but have got a little confused over the several references in the text to there being no cockpit access door on the left (Port) side of the fuselage......and yet on Page 112 of the book there is a photo of the Author sitting in the left hand seat with a door open !. I did think the photo may have been accidentally reversed but it still does'nt make sense since the pilot is still strapped into the pilots seat immediately adjacent to the door sill ?. Anyone able to elaborate as to whether some O-2s had a second cockpit access door ?.

Great model/s by the way, Russ !

• Thanks 1

Honestly some of my better students can write a poem using Russ's pictures of the O-2.It's so rich with emotions,just imagine being infront of the plane at dusk and thinking deeply about whether you will be coming back for breakfast the next day or not!Great build and great pictures!

Edited by Kampartiger
grammar
  • Thanks 1