Tiger I North Africa

HL-10

This is my Tiger I as it would have first seen action in North Africa.

Tamiya's kit is up to their usual standards, even the vinyl tubing for the air filters feature the weave texture of the material the real things were made from.

I roughed up the surface texture with a dental burr and used a Pyrograph to define the weld seems and give the edge of the armour plate a torch cut look.

I added a few bits of etched chain on the airfilters, and etched latches replaced the plastic ones on the storage bin.

I also replaced the plastic tow cables with picture wire and that was about it.

When reading up about early Tigers, I found out that the rubber rims on the road wheels had a nasty habit of shredding away so I clamped one wheel in my electric drill and useing a chisel blade in my knife, I paired it down to make it look like a dammaged wheel.

I left off one of the exhaust shrouds as they were very prone to dammage and fell off or were taken off by the crew.

The commander is from the kit, the guy in the loader's hatch is from Tamiya's Afrika Korps Kubelwagen.

I painted the tank with Tamiya's acrylics and used Humbrol enamels on the figures.

Washes and chipping using Panzer Grey was applied to weather the tank.

I also used Mig pigments in the process.

TigerI-1.jpg

TigerI-2.jpg

TigerI-3.jpg

TigerI-4.jpg

TigerI-5.jpg

TigerI-6.jpg

TigerI-7.jpg

TigerI-8.jpg

TigerI-9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by HL-10
  • Like 1

Lovely good kit isn 't it however just looked at yours then mine sighed and put my one somewhere it can't be seen

Daz, your model is a very good one too!

I have a differen't style of modelling to you, thats why they don't look the same, nothing else.

Very nice model HL-10 great to see two of the same built here, as you say there both good in there own right :goodjob: .

'On another note', the first Tigers in Tunisia were in a green colour, but were soon changed to the sand colour you have there.

Very nice figures too :coolio:

Edited by foxy
  • Like 1

Cracking build, love the chipping, are they the kit tracks? And how did you paint them?

• Like 1

Cracking build, love the chipping, are they the kit tracks? And how did you paint them?

They are the kit's tracks.

I used Humbrol enamels to paint the base colour, and I weathered them using Mig pigments using Tamiya's acrylic thinners to fix the pigment in place.

I'm always saying that texture plays a huge part in making a model look realistic. You have just proved my point for me.

Look at that exhaust. The burned rust colour is excellent, but what what sets this apart is the rough texture of the part. It really looks as though it has spent a lot of time at a very high temperature.

Superb! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Wow! Beautifully finished and a great eye for the little details that make a good model great!

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 months later...