Noob Bike #4 Tamiya NSR 500

flibble

Hey Folks, with #3 all finished its times to start a new beast.

I've chosen the NSR 500 because it's quite cheap, so it seems pretty low risk compared to the other ones. It costs about £15 new so about half the price of the newer kits. Having now played with it - I can see why! There's no chrome so I'm going to have to have a better go at alcadding to make it pretty, and there is quite a fit of filing (file-ing?) to be done to get all the bits smooth. First tamiya kit I've had with any flash at all really.

IMG_1384_rsz.jpg

I was hoping to have my first go with photo-etch with this kit, but I went and bought the PE for the wrong kit :hanging: it seems the Nastro Azurro NSR 500 kit is a different mould all together.

Goals for this build are to get better with alcadding (hopefully getting a nice chrome finish), get a tidier build (filing / joins etc), and to make it less cripplingly slowly (hopefully try and do this chap in 6 weeks ish?).

Team for the build is changed vs. the last one. First up is our Cat Leila, shown here enjoying her 5th birthday party:

IMG_0748_rsz.jpg

Next up is a new member of the team, Rupert who is just a little kitten. Sadly our other cat passed away from cancer earlier this year :weep:

IMG_1141_rsz.jpg

So far I've built the engine, which came together quite well. Here it is pre-wash, looking reasonably tidy. I think these are starting to look a bit better. More to follow in a few days. Cheers all, Chris.

IMG_1387_rsz.jpg

IMG_1386_rsz.jpg

Hey Fibble

Firstly congrats on finishing #3... turned out real nice in the end.

Engine is looking very nice.

If i may offer two bits of advice... Use bare metal foil on the exhausts, looks waaaaay better, and poss dump the decals and paint the red and blue bits. My experience with this kit was that the decals just didnt 'look' right, kind of too plasticy, so of they came and masked and painted the blue and red bits.

good luck on the build

steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. I've not done foiling before so no time like the present.

I found this as a primer - http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/6/7/d/foiledlightning1.pdf

Is this all I need to know or any other thoughts to bear in mind with a bike for the exhaust? Seems I basically cut some strips, stick 'em on, and get burnishing? Doesn't seem like there's too much risk if I make a mess of it so I'll have a try and worst case go back to the Alcad. Im going to use last nights fishfingers kitchen foil though, rather than the posh stuff. Here's hoping foil doesn't pick up the latent odours of haddock with omega 3!

Meet Team Alcad!

Ok so this weekend was "have a proper go at Alcad" weekend. Here's the team, prepped, pimped (proper expensive Alcad Black Gloss) psyched and ready for action.

catalcad.jpg

First task was spray the black gloss. This didn't go well, as someone had been using my airbrush and had left it barnacled, dry and crusty with various past cruddy efforts :banghead: . I set the cat in the sink with some thinners to get the darn thing clean. About an hour later and it now sprays, but in a weird pulsing manner. Always one to do the dumb thing I thought "hey this is a good sign, lets keep going". :mental:

The black gloss from Alcad was actually a weird metallic-y black, and really thick and sticky. My advice is to shake the heck out of it before using. Here's the frame glued together and gloss black.

blackgloss.jpg

Next step - the Alcad itself. This stuff separates really quickly - I shake it like bajingo but immediately you can see it splitting, and this came back to haunt me with the model. It sprayed on fine - looks a bit gray while going on, but as the airbrush run out of paint it started to look horrific - yep - in the couple of minutes in the feeder sploonge (? not sure what its called) it had started to separate with the nice metally stuff out first, and the thinning skank on top. Decided not to worry about this and keep going, here's coat one:

1stcoat.jpg

Surprisingly it looked pretty good! a lot better than my last effort. Left this overnight to dry. This morning it looked a bit duller, so I followed ze manual and gave it a very fine grit rub-over, and airbrushed the second coat. This would of been simple but obviously the bloody cat hadn't cleaned the airbrush from yesterday so I spent another hour taking it apart and mending it again. Here's the results of coat 2, dry for a couple of hours. To be honest - I think it came out pretty great! :beer: As an experiment I also semi-gloss blacked the brakes, and then gave them a coat of TS-17 (tamiya chrome) and that came out a lot more dull. Not sure if I'll get any more done today. Quick question - should I clear coat it?

2ndcoat.jpg

Edited by flibble

You don't have to clear coat, but if you don't you must handle the parts with extreme care, as it's very easy to rub off.

With respect to cleaning out your airbrush, I use badger airbrush cleaner, comes in a spray can with an applicator tube like WD40, I empty out/spray out any left over paint, then I spray some cleaner into the paint feed and spray like it was paint, just make sure it doesn't get near your kit, it's hot!! Works a treat.

You don't have to clear coat, but if you don't you must handle the parts with extreme care, as it's very easy to rub off.

With respect to cleaning out your airbrush, I use badger airbrush cleaner, comes in a spray can with an applicator tube like WD40, I empty out/spray out any left over paint, then I spray some cleaner into the paint feed and spray like it was paint, just make sure it doesn't get near your kit, it's hot!! Works a treat.

Hi Oddball, I use nail varnish remover to clean out after Alclad session! Really clean afterwards, mask & windows open in order though........

ATB...

Meet Team Alcad!

Ok so this weekend was "have a proper go at Alcad" weekend. Here's the team, prepped, pimped (proper expensive Alcad Black Gloss) psyched and ready for action.

catalcad.jpg

First task was spray the black gloss. This didn't go well, as someone had been using my airbrush and had left it barnacled, dry and crusty with various past cruddy efforts :banghead: . I set the cat in the sink with some thinners to get the darn thing clean. About an hour later and it now sprays, but in a weird pulsing manner. Always one to do the dumb thing I thought "hey this is a good sign, lets keep going". :mental:

The black gloss from Alcad was actually a weird metallic-y black, and really thick and sticky. My advice is to shake the heck out of it before using. Here's the frame glued together and gloss black.

blackgloss.jpg

Next step - the Alcad itself. This stuff separates really quickly - I shake it like bajingo but immediately you can see it splitting, and this came back to haunt me with the model. It sprayed on fine - looks a bit gray while going on, but as the airbrush run out of paint it started to look horrific - yep - in the couple of minutes in the feeder sploonge (? not sure what its called) it had started to separate with the nice metally stuff out first, and the thinning skank on top. Decided not to worry about this and keep going, here's coat one:

1stcoat.jpg

Surprisingly it looked pretty good! a lot better than my last effort. Left this overnight to dry. This morning it looked a bit duller, so I followed ze manual and gave it a very fine grit rub-over, and airbrushed the second coat. This would of been simple but obviously the bloody cat hadn't cleaned the airbrush from yesterday so I spent another hour taking it apart and mending it again. Here's the results of coat 2, dry for a couple of hours. To be honest - I think it came out pretty great! :beer: As an experiment I also semi-gloss blacked the brakes, and then gave them a coat of TS-17 (tamiya chrome) and that came out a lot more dull. Not sure if I'll get any more done today. Quick question - should I clear coat it?

2ndcoat.jpg

Chris,

For 'shiney' finish, use a gloss black (I am using Tamiya TS-14 rattle tin) but for the frames, they are too shiney! I use grey primer (Halfords etc), the use Alclad Polished Aluminium for the finish. Not too shiney, yet not too dull either.

Spray at 15psi you're Alclad & build up the coats (2-3 usually) is what I do.

Exhaust is Tamiya TS-88 Titanium Silver! Cracking bit of kit. Will use Tamiya weathering pastels to weather it off.

I'll post pics when done to show you.

All the best mate & the new addition is lovely!!

Have fun...........

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. I've not done foiling before so no time like the present.

I found this as a primer - http://www.finescale...dlightning1.pdf

Is this all I need to know or any other thoughts to bear in mind with a bike for the exhaust? Seems I basically cut some strips, stick 'em on, and get burnishing? Doesn't seem like there's too much risk if I make a mess of it so I'll have a try and worst case go back to the Alcad. Im going to use last nights fishfingers kitchen foil though, rather than the posh stuff. Here's hoping foil doesn't pick up the latent odours of haddock with omega 3!

Morning Flibble :analintruder:

Yup, that article just about covers it, but, they make it look soooooooo easy... :analintruder:

I have used foil before on frames, on the FZR 750 and an RC211V, but both were basically square ish frames and it was, well lets just say it was a learning experience. Once you get the hang of it, it does look fantastic. I use the Flat Aluminium foil, looks good. I have a couple of sheets of black chrome that im itching to use too :analintruder:

Steve