A-7A Corsair 1/72 Hobbyboss

Hi all,

I've decided to make this small kit to have some fun in between of pauses on my 1/48 Helldiver .... will be completely OOB. Nice kit in general, except a mistake in decals (squadron insignia should be NE and not NG, missing imatriculation on top wing etc.) Also spent a lot of time on rescribing every single line or rivet, these were too shallow and sometimes completely faded. But nothing what cannot be fixed and on the other hand, the kit offers nice details as open avionics bay, full payload and nicely detailed wheel wells. Hope that will get it finished quite soon...thanks for watching :)

DSCF3144.jpg

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3134.jpg

DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3135.jpg

working with my "little helper" is a pleasure :)

DSCF3127.jpg

Now, everything ready for painting...

DSCF3203.jpg

DSCF3204.jpg

DSCF3205.jpg

DSCF3206.jpg

DSCF3207.jpg

DSCF3208.jpg

Some preshading added (not a real use of that, just to keep me busy :) ) ....

DSCF3317.jpg

DSCF3318.jpg

DSCF3319.jpg

and bottom surfaces painted white....thats all for now, hope I'll be able to post more of my progress very soon...thanks for watching so far :)

DSCF3321.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be keeping an eye on this too, the Corsair is a bit of a fave of mine and i have a couple of schemes i plan on building. I have seen this kit in my local model shop, along with the one Hobbyboss also do with the wings folded but i have read reviews that complain about accuracy. Anyone here made that one?

Hi Ludek. lookin' good, the rescribed rivets certainly set the model alight, NG is fine as the unit was aboard the RANGER in '67 and later on Constellation, both NG.

Colin on the Afriac Station, self confessed A-7 nut.

Hi Ludek. lookin' good, the rescribed rivets certainly set the model alight, NG is fine as the unit was aboard the RANGER in '67 and later on Constellation, both NG.

Colin on the Afriac Station, self confessed A-7 nut.

I would be more than happy to agree with you, but not quite sure that NG has been used on "A" model Corsairs. What I have discovered so far is, that NG appears only on later "E" Corsairs of the same unit. Planes caught in early Vietnam era on USS Ranger are using NE unit code on all pics I have seen. Would be grateful if you prove me wrong, as it might save me a lot of work with fixing that mistake.

VA-147-2.jpg

VA-147-1.jpg

A-7A_VA-174_CVA-61_1968.jpg

Hi Ludek. I may have to bow to your better reference, I searched all of my references and could only find one A7-A with NG as the fin code. It is in Squardron Signal A7 Corsait II In Action Number 120. On the colour prfile pages there is a side profile of 153228 A7-A aboard USS Ranger 1967, however it is an illustration and not a photograph. SS research is usually quite acccurate, so maybe this will save your project?

Otherwise Microsale Sheet 72-81 has VA-147 markings as does the very old Revell USA kit dating back to the 1970's the set is very basic but combined with the kit decals would give a complete set of markings.

Colin on the Africa Station

Nice looking A-7. one note about the early Corsairs, the air start panel was on the left side of the aft fuselage as seen here:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/a-7a_153135/images/a-7a_153135_020_of_109.jpg

the circular panel just aft of the pylon. The kit has it wrong by being on the right side, where the E had it.

Jari

Finn: Yes I see what you mean....didn't notice that before. Unfortunately, I'm too far in a build to get it fixed. But sure will keep that in mind in case of starting on another Corsair. Thanks a lot :)

heloman1: I'm afraid that fixing of tail code won't be that easily avoided. I have a photo of 153228 "312" and it clearly shows NE tail code ... actually I think that this illustration was a reference to Hobbyboss when creating camouflage scheme for this kit. And this was the place that mistake came from. They also missed code number "312NE" on top of right wing. All other planes of that unit has it on available pictures, so don't expect this one to any different. Conclusion is quite clear - never believe anything except photos.

But thanks for your help Colin :)

VA-147-3.jpg

Hi Ludek. Thanks, I took the HB kit at face value, I should have known better after all that has been said about them and their lack of attention to detail. I should have also checked my own reference more closely. Hope it all come right in the end, plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing your model will be more accurate than Hobby Boss intended it to.

PS. Good to see you have your boy as your helper, is he modelling on his own yet, or has Dad still got to give a helping hand?

heloman1: Thanks Colin, will try to fix it somehow to get it right. I will probably use original NG decal as a base and shape up to NE......my son is only 3 years old, so not really modelling yet. But he likes to work with me, I always give him some empty plastic sprues and a few harmless tools so he can play with it. But I hope we will share a modelling table after a few years :)

note 302 has what looks like dark blue on the tail rather than red in the other pics.

That's an interesting picture....I just wonder where that blue strip came from. But it look more like an exception that rule, so I will stick to the red one.

What riveting tool did you use ?

Rivets are made with the kit already, but they were somewhat "blunt" and faded on some places. So I have used a scribing needle to make them sharper and restore the ones I've sanded down. It was a boring job but pays off at the end of the days.

Hi Ludek, Thanks for the heads up on your technique with the cribing needle. I'm in the middel of filling rivets and panel lines on my Italeri Wessex. I was going to purchase some Archers rivets but not a $19 per sheet!

Hi Colin,

there is an alternative, if you're looking for positive rivets (helicopters etc.) Not sure if you know Czech company HGW? The are making free rivet lines in black or silver color. Working in these is very similiar as with common decals. Just prepare your kit for painting, apply surfacer and then stick on the rivets (I reccomend using some decal solution as Mr.Mark Softer). They are supplied on a large sheet, so you need to cut them off with scissors, put in to water and then apply rivet line to the kit. After it dryes (cca 2 hours) remove the foil and that's it. Then apply paint as normally...I have used these when doing an 1/35 Huey and worked out perfectly.

Hope it's not against rules to place a link to these rivets....it's also quite cheap, 3.6 meters of these rivets costs about 4.50$

http://battlefield.e...=product&id=738

And this is how it looks on the kit...I have used HGW rivets instead of rivets sanded down

DSCF4449.jpg

and finished helicopter....

Pict04-1.jpg

Edited by Ludek Spunda
  • Like 1

Hi Ludek. Many thanks for the link and the pic of your Huey, the rivets look very convincing. I maight just have to invest ia sheet of these. many thanks. At 4.40 Euro's that are well priced. Your Huey looks very impressive.

Some more A-7A NE pics here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=49171

Note the lack of the sword on the tail, during an early or perhaps the first deployment but you can see the codes on the upper wings. Here is a colour pic no doubt from the same deployment:

http://philippechristian.free.fr/images/aviation/a7a/a7a_va147.jpg

Jari