Italeri Sunderland Mk.I - It's done...well 99.9% !

woody37

This will become a build review, so rather than waiting until it's built, I thought I'd log it's progress in here. The panel lines are rather deep for 1/72 so myself and Mike did some experimenting with a few layers of primer to reduce the effect. It has improved the look somewhat, but they will still be quite pronounced. The plan is to do a camouflaged scheme, so this should help to reduce the effect. It will be built pretty much OOB, although I'm probably going to use Krystal Kleer for the round windows.

The nose with 3 layers of primer applied:

prime.jpg

Extending this to the rest of the fuselage half:

primed_fuse_1.jpg

The instructions start with the interior, so I've preassembled the big bits ready for spraying. The panel and control columns are only dry fitted for now as I need space to fit the seatbelts and detail the panel once the base coats are down.

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

interior1.jpg

Following the instructions indicates fitting the turrets before joining the halves up which is something I want to avoid to keep them clean so the parts will be modified to allow them to be fitted at the end.

Next step - sray the interior green ready for building the detail up. There's lots of room to fit extra detail inside if you want, with the bomb rack doors open under the wings, you also have the opportunity to see plenty of it too !

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for posting your build/photos.

Will follow your build (have not as yet seen a proper build any where). :popcorn:

Just one item of curiosity (nothing to to do with accuracy) what colours did Italeri

give for the interior?

Thanks

Alan (who is still waiting to get one :weep: )

They indicate light green !

Shouldn't be too hard to acheive that...ha ha !

I haven't painted it yet, so if this is wrong, someone please say :)

I read a review somewhere that the fuselage doesn't quite fit together with all the gubbins in, creating gaps around the nose turret and rear interior decking. I've taken this on board and trimmed the edges of the relevant bits so far and a dry fit indicates a good fit. The paint may affect this, particularly where the sliding turret thingy sits, so a little more sanding / trimming will be done to compensate for the paint.

Cheers

Looking forward to this Neil. Your builds are always interesting and informative, and the results are outstanding.

I'm certain this will be no exception.

I'm sitting comfortably, so please begin :winkgrin:

Cheers

They indicate light green !

Shouldn't be too hard to acheive that...ha ha !

I haven't painted it yet, so if this is wrong, someone please say :)

I read a review somewhere that the fuselage doesn't quite fit together with all the gubbins in, creating gaps around the nose turret and rear interior decking. I've taken this on board and trimmed the edges of the relevant bits so far and a dry fit indicates a good fit. The paint may affect this, particularly where the sliding turret thingy sits, so a little more sanding / trimming will be done to compensate for the paint.

Cheers

Hi Neil

This photo is of the Airfix model, but the painted sections will be the same for Mk I (note the Mk I can have RAF Interior

green for the actual pilots area also - instead of black)

Sunderlandpic.jpg

The Green RAF type Interior Green

FILE0079copy.jpg

The silver colour looks more lke this

DSCF2797copy.jpg

Just to justify this historically, some photo's of a Mk I

Guuners position

750449_zpsfcdb8031.jpg

(Photo used for Illustration only)

Flight deck

http://www.castlearc...landcockpit.jpg

Stern area

http://www.castlearc...andinterior.jpg

Bow area

http://www.flickr.co...N06/6522951401/

Bomb bay

http://i40.photobuck...DepthCharge.jpg

Galley

http://i105.photobuc...n/CH_000837.jpg

The Flight deck flooring will be RAF Green as is the bow deck, how ever for those wishing to build a lower deck,

from stairs back to rear deck is a grey blue color

Hope that helps

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Interior looking good Neil....but the exterior......flippin' eck those panel lines look a tad disappointing, ditto the rivets, and that's with three layers of primer !!.

short-sunderland-flying-boat_zps639fe6ec.jpg

Where are all these trenches Italeri................... I just don't get it, are the wings as bad?.

The interior detail looks nice though and I just know you'll make a great job of it.. :winkgrin:

Melchie

Melchie, looking at a kit the other week at a club meeting I can confirm the trenchwork extends all over the model which is a pitty.

Thanks for the build review Woody, I'll be interested to see how is looks when finished.

Edited by TrojanThunder

Hi Neil,

Hopefully this will prove to be less work than the Sunderlands younger sister!

Those panel lines are a tad deep aren't they and the first thing I noticed on the sprue shots. I'm sure that it will look great though when finished

John

Interior looking good Neil....but the exterior......flippin' eck those panel lines look a tad disappointing, ditto the rivets, and that's with three layers of primer !!.

Where are all these trenches Italeri................... I just don't get it, are the wings as bad?.

But don't you understand?

All kits must have these panel lines today otherwise how will a dark weathering wash be applied? Models will never look realistic and suitably weathered unless they have black lines all over them, made even more prominent of course by some extra pre-shading of each panel line... just look at all those thick black panel lines all over the real thing in the picture you posted!

:poo:

On a more serious note... I'm very much looking forward to seeng what you do with this Woody - I'm sure you won't disappoint us. As others have said it'll be intersting how the panel lines look under a coat (or ten) of paint.

Tom

• Like 2

But don't you understand?

All kits must have these panel lines today otherwise how will a dark weathering wash be applied? Models will never look realistic and suitably weathered unless they have black lines all over them, made even more prominent of course by some extra pre-shading of each panel line... just look at all those thick black panel lines all over the real thing in the picture you posted!

:poo:

Tom

Not to take away from Neils build, and yes the kit panel lines/rivets are over done, but can be fixed by any

competent modeller.

If a Sunderland was without paint all panel lines stand out, check out these links of

RNZAF Sunderland Mk III's (sans paint AKA natural metal) operated in Post WWII new Zealand

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/flyernzl/short%20boats/NZ4101o_dn.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/flyernzl/short%20boats/NZ4102o_dn.jpg

Now for paint coated Sunderlands, the type of paint can show many things after some wear

and tear as in this RNZAF Sunderland Mk III (WWII SW Pacific), especially check out the "Sky"

paint at the stern part of the fuselage/keel, and the "Naturally Hightlighted" panels

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/flyernzl/short%20boats/NZ4101h.jpg

Now as far as an actual Sunderland panelling goes, its actually plate on plate, so recessed

panel lines don't actually exist as in these close ups

Fuselage

100_1174copy_zps888e9909.jpg

3d378ebc.jpg

efea6633.jpg

Queenieforwardfuselagecopy.jpg

Note in the last photo above, rivet lines only appear in "stressed" areas (water landings are not kind,,,)

Wings

QQuuenieportwing2copy.jpg

In all honesty if any modeller built his/hers OOB with panels/rivets I wouldn't loose sleep over it

having said that I will be interested to see what Neil does do. if he decides to fix them :popcorn:

Regards

Alan

Nice one Tom and my sentiments exactly...I'm not against panel lines at all if they are subtely done so that when painted a hint shows through maybe enhanced with washes. I just don't see why modern kits are plastered in scale 3'' trenches when as Alans photos clearly show none exist...( actually, looks more like a panel beaters convention !). To my jaded eye it looks like a die cast 'collectable' than a modern model but that's probably just me...back to the kit and looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior Neil, there's plenty of scope for super- duper detailing......and as for weathering it !!

Having seen one built at my club the panel lines will need more than a light skim, they are really that deep. Whilst the model was well built and looked good, the panel lines completely spoiled it for me.

Melchie... I think you've hit the nail on the head with the word 'SUBTLE' and I am in complete agreement.

I wouldn't call the panels on this kit subtle however!

I think we are currently in a phase/craze where many modellers feel to produce a realistic finish every panel line must have a wash in it and pre-shading is a must to complete a realistic weathered finish, which to me completely over does the effect. When up close to an aircraft you may a panel line or two - such as the pictures above - but to see every panel perfectly highlighted is extememly rare and would barely be visible in 1/72nd scale. Patchy, chipped paint however is another story and I personally feel when well done this wil produce a far better finish than black panel lines all over a model.

I'll get off my high horse now and enjoy Woody's build...

Tom

To my jaded eye it looks like a die cast 'collectable' than a modern model but that's probably just me...back to the kit and looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior Neil, there's plenty of scope for super- duper detailing......and as for weathering it !!

General sah, I can confirm that it is most certainly not just you, that surface 'detail' is awful!! What with this & the Revell B-17's it seems kit manufacturers now think aeroplanes should look like clinker build boats....

But as everyone else has said, I look forward to seeing what Neil does with it & another fine model will (hopefully) appear. But that picture of it after 3 coats of primer has at least saved me 40 quid...!!

Keef

I was in the process of updating the Airfix one, using the WEM etch and resin engines.

When I heard about this kit, I shelved it.

Looking at the photos here, I'm glad I did!

I will be watching this with great interest.

Some interesting comments guys. Alan, thanks for those reference pics, most useful.

How does it compare to the Airfix kit ?

Well I sold mine, after doing a Stirling this year that drove me mad, I just couldn't face so much scratch building again (personal opinion of course). I don't know the Sunderland inside out, so I'm still learning about what inaccuracies it may have, but from a build perspective, the only let down is the panel lines. Everything so far has fell together.

I built one wing up with a lot more primer as an experiment (I've got a second kit here incase it goes tits up !!) and the panel lines are much reduced and the rivet detail has gone. I can build the other surfaces up too,

Better do that before going to work on the interio painting :)

Cheers

Nice work so far Neil :) Does your kit have a flaw in the surface detail of the upper port wing? Mine looks like the mould has been damaged just outboard of the outboard engine and then repaired.

Great stuff Neil....I've got a heavily sanded and smoothed Airfix kit, converted into a Mk1 with all the WEM stuff, resin engines, metal rings and props which I'm now very tempted to finish it in the magnificent early silver finish, just looks majestic to me.

sunderland11024_zps38737381.jpg

Like several others I was going to buy this one, but for 40 quid I think I'll hang fire and plod on with the converted Airfix for now, (only cost me a fiver, including all bits at Telford last year).

Interesting link to the UAM site here with nice comparative shots of the Italeri and Airfix kits...to my eye the old Airfix comes out pretty well,

http://uamf.org.uk/v...php?f=55&t=4916

The wings look even worse than the fuselage !!.........wow, must be a relative of the Matchbox man !

The interior looks OK but there seems to be an issue with the number of port holes.................though they have got the stepped planing hull correct.

Looking good Neil,

For what it is worth I`ve attached a couple of pics of my Sunderland fuselage here, in case they help anybody out.

Picture456.jpg

Picture458.jpg

After looking at every photo of a Mk.I that I can find I`m pretty sure that most of the interior was silver, including the floor of the nose entrance with the cockpit and gun positions finished in a dark matt colour, possibly Interior Grey Green. I`ve constructed some of the framework around the mid upper gun positions too. Later Mk.III`s and V`s appear to have had more Interior Grey Green incorporated into the interior, especially the rear fuselage.

I`ve got the wings fitted to mine now and the fit has been perfect so far, with the cockpit canopy simply clicking into position, so well done Italeri. As I said before, looking at the mould lines inside the fuselage there is a possibility of a later Mk.II and III as there are inserts in the main mould for adding a new lower `step' and a new section for a mid upper turret plus the later rear turret, but unfortunately no bow guns or waist gun positions for the Mk.V.

Thats it, I`ll shut up now,......keep up the good work mate and I cannot wait to see the finished model,

Cheers,

Tony O

Nice work so far Neil :) Does your kit have a flaw in the surface detail of the upper port wing? Mine looks like the mould has been damaged just outboard of the outboard engine and then repaired.

It does mate, I've noticed a few flaws as though the panel detail in the tooling has been repaired or something. Also a few in the upper fuselage.

Tony that's looking great. I might have to copy you with pride by adding some detail around those big open holes.

Andy, I'd love to see your silver beast come to fruition, the silver scheme does look quite majestic, especially if you can add some panel colour variation like in the pics on the previous page. I forgot to respond to an earlier question, but yes, the kit does come with the etch included.

Build up some more primer tonight. Still more to go on after the big bits have been joined so I'm quite happy with the progress.

prime4.jpg

prime3.jpg

prime2.jpg