1:72 King Tiger live build..

Michaelvk

..well.. Sort of..

I'll be starting building this around 09:30 tomorrow (16 october 2012, Cardiff local time), posting fresh images and explanations as I go along, for anyone interested. With any luck I'll be done by this time tomorrow.. The intention is to build a well weathered zimmerit covered vehicle. I'll be using the Trumpeter zimmerit tools that I got at Modelzone for stupid cheap, Mig pigments, Tamiya and Vallejo paints, with probably a dash of Alclad burnt iron thrown in for good measure.

(Microwave not part of the kit..)

KT_001.jpg

I'll have a gopro running to create a timelapse of the whole thing too.

• Like 1

This is a brilliant idea. Love the first video with the random blue lid on the cement bottle. And at 0.29 "my cement bottle lid is blue, no it's a king tiger, no it's blue!"

What do you use for the actual zimmerit paste?

So that burger ended up almost being the death of me. I spent two whole days in bed (or alternatively resembling a human catherine wheel, or pinwheel for our transatlantic cousins who may or may not be reading..).

It was grim.

But I'm better now, and endeavour to have this little beasty up and running ASAP

• 1 month later...

Wasn't too bad, actually, Courtney.. The Trumpeter zimmerit tools make life fairly easy.

Now this project has obviously stalled.. I shall return to it (and my Lancaster) in spring 2013, provided the world doesn't end, ruining Christmas.. The day after I did everything up to this point I had several days of what I think was food poisoning, and then was put back to work on set.. So stay tuned for Tiger live build, season 2, coming next spring!

The zimmeritt should only reach to the top of the fenders on the hull sides, the area from the top of the fender mounts to the bottom edge of the hull was often seen in either the base colour alone (ie: no camo) or just bare primer.

HTH & All the best

Andy S.

PS - Do not trust the Revell instructions when building the tracks.....They are wrong.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 6 months later...

A bit late to the party here - but a fantastic idea. Thanks for taking the time to photograph the process - I'll be following and waiting for the next instalment! :popcorn:

Yes please :-) I've got a Revell 1/72 Jagdpanther under coated. so I want to see you paint yours first!