Victor B/K4

Albeback52

now that is neat!

But did not one else spot the B-52 I [as in the Dale Brown Old Dog or something like that book I presume?] on the shelf in the background...and what's the beastie on the shelf below?

Some pics of those I'm sure would amuse folks here as well.

cheers

T

Only too happy to oblige. The B-52 wasn't actually intended to be an "Old Dog" but rather , it was inspired by an illustration of a proposed B-52 upgrade I found while wasting time on my PC!! :lol: . I used the AMT/Italeri B-52H as the basis for the model. Not the easiest of kits to work with but, the end result was worth it. Sadly, this is also in need of a rebuild as, I caught the thing with vacuum cleaner hose & sent it flying!! Starboard wing & both fins snapped clean off!! :weep: . That's my winter project!!

The other beastie is the interceptor variant of the Tupolev TU-22 Blinder. Armed with a pair of NR30 30mm cannons & up to 12 AAMs, this was designated "Firestorm" by NATO! :lol: . Model based on the Revell TU-22.This is a 2 seater with a revised nose/cockpit & approx 2 metres shorter than the bomber variant.

My thanks for all the kind comments posted. I do appreciate them.

023.jpg

022.jpg

018.jpg016.jpg017.jpg019.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Progress!! Interrupted as, I'm preparing to move house. Glossy finish is courtesy of Xtracrylix Dark/Extra dark sea grey. I don't really like these paints - poor colour density & opacity but, as a thrifty ( a k a tight a***d) Scot, I'll use until finished. Undersides are Revell Aqua colour Teerschwarz. As this is is a heavy model and, I'm painting by hand ( dont have/want an airbrsh!), it's being done in stages. Obviously, the wing undersides need to be done and, there's a bit of tidying up needed on the top sides.

Intake covers will follow - these will cover a mulititude of sins!! Fortunately, the kit undercarriage is quite sturdy!! :D. I'm not happy about the exhausts. I think a trip to Wonderland to secure some brass/aluminum tubing to enhance these is indicated!

allan

003-16.jpg004-12.jpg

004-12.jpg

006-10.jpg

005-11.jpg

Edited by Albeback52

I love the color choice!

Thamks! :thumbsup:

I rather like the 50s Bomber Command scheme so, I decided to adapt it for the model. There will also be nose art as well! I've got some lovely items from a Two Bobs B1-B sheet. Model will be finished as "Black Widow" of 617 Sqn :D

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Let's get the silly (alternative history) back story out of the was first!!

Following an almost unheard of sensible decision by British politicians (namely that the RAF really did NOT need more than one type of strategic bomber),the decision was taken to proceed with production of Handley Page's radical proposal for an improved Victor. Based on an already proven design, the Victor B4 could be largely manufactured using existing tooling and assembly jigs - thereby largely eliminating a lengthy (and very expensive )design/development.. This naturally appealed to the mentally ossified & almost brain dead bean counters of H M Treasury.

Three prototypes were constructed using existing B2 airframes. First flight was made on April 12th 1965.Despite its huge bulk and weight, test pilots reported that the type retained the Victor B2s docile handling. 60 production aircraft were ordered, the type entering service in 1969 just as the RAF was relinquishing its nuclear deterrent role.

The 5 crew members were placed in the port fuselage.To provide a view to both sides , the cockpit was relocated upwards & aft. The pilots and 2 AEOs were located in the upper cockpit.the radar navigator/bombardier was situated in the lower forward nose. All crew members were provided with Martin Baker Mk 6 rocket assisted ejection seats. The starboard nose section housed the radar/ECM/ESM gear.

The Victor B4 retained the B2s huge bomb bays .Each of which could accomodate up to 35.000lbs(15900 kg) of stores. Additional fuel tanks could also be installed in the bomb bays if needed. With full internal fuel (including bomb bay tanks), external ordnance up to max of 20,000kgs (44,000lbs) on 4 underwing hardpoints.

Over the years, the type has been constantly upgraded to keep it current. The Victor B4 saw it's first combat during the 1982 Falklands War.On the first day of combat a Victor of 55 Sqn deposited 42 1000lb bombs on Port Stanley airfield.

The following day, 3 aircraft were tasked with visiting Argentina itself. With bomb bay tanks and,again carrying a reduced load of 42 x 1000lb gp bombs, both aircraft attacked Argentinian fighter bases which were responsible for covering Buenos Aires. By navigating around Argentinian radar coverage and, descending to low altitude ( not what it was designed for!) both aircraft achieved complete surprise and deposited their loads along the runways. THe 3rd aircraft - XL233 ( subject of this model) paid a visit to Buenos Aires. With large union flags and the slogan "Quien grita ahora Argentina!" ( Who's crying now Argentina!) emblazoned across the underside ( just to leave no doubt as its identity!) XL233 roared over the city at rooftop height during the morning rush hour dropping thousands of leaflets advising the populace that a second visit would be less benign! Showing a clean pair of tails & leaving a panicked& terrified population in its wake, the crew exited the scene without trouble.

Following the ending of the Cold War, short sighted bean counting buffons ( a k a politicians) decided that the Victor B4 should be withdrawn as part of the so called "peace dividend". However, a certain Mr S Hussein put paid to that ill considered notion byn invading Kuwait. By this time equipped with the Bae Systems 4500 kg Tallboy II deep penetration bomb ( known affectionately to armourers as MFAB ( Monstrous F****r of A Bomb). Victors were deployed to the middle eat where they played havoc during the opening stage of Desert Storm. Capable of penetrating up to 100ft underground, virtually nothing was safe from these massive bombs.

Upgraded constantly to keep it current, Victor B4s continue to serve with 55, 9 & 617 Sqn. They are scheduled to remain in service until at least 2025.

Some specs!

Wingspan 52 ms

Max t o weight 195,000kgs

Range ( with max internal fuel) up to 7000 miles

Weapons (internally) - variety of stores can be carried including;

up to 70 x 1000 gp bombs, BL755 or other Cluster bombs

up to 30 x 2000lb JDAM type

Externally - variety of ordnance up to 20,000 kgs on 4 underwing hardpoints.

Finally,officialdom & bureaucracy took a bow to reality during the Gulf War. Virtually all aircraft taking part carried nose art of some kind.This was officially sanctioned and, to this day, XL233 bears the name "Black Widow"

Phew! Glad it's all over For the record, the bombs are 1/48 scale GBU-24 Paveway III types. They scale in nicely! Nose art for "Black Widow" came from a Two Bobs B-1B sheet. Tail insignia from the Xtradecals 1/72 TSR 2 sheet (617 squadron). Hope you like her. I am now going to pour myself a stiff whisky! :lol:

005-12.jpg

004-13.jpg

003-17.jpg

002-16.jpg

001-12.jpg

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

wow thats amazing!!!!! :wow::yikes:

Love the "B52" concept.

I know the moggy feeling, use to have a cat that did the same thing, was rather partial to props!! If if didn't know'em down it would eat them........went with the ex-wife!!! :yahoo:

thats amazing and terrifying i love the scheme. is that msg and dsg or dsg and edsg paint

Thanks for the kind comment. :D

Colours are Xtracrylix Extra Dark Sea Grey over Xtracrylix Dark Sea Grey. Undersides are Revell Aqua Teerschwarz..Model had to be painted in stages. It's very heavy and, I used little hairy sticks to paint it!! :lol:

No smutty comments about tired wrists please!! :lol:

wow thats amazing!!!!! :wow::yikes:

Love the "B52" concept.

I know the moggy feeling, use to have a cat that did the same thing, was rather partial to props!! If if didn't know'em down it would eat them........went with the ex-wife!!! :yahoo:

Here she is ;

Kizzy the Model Mauler!! 1 : 1 scale Mog Mk 1

100_1958.jpg

Edited by Albeback52

Loving the idea and the model Albeback52, I can imagine it being a bugger to fly and park :P Reminds me of all of the weird bombers you see in the Ace Combat series of games. THe thing is so bit, it doesn't even look like it's sitting on it's undercarriage... those bombs are looking very menacing and STFU!

However I love the "kinda" EB-52 (the "proper" name for the Old Dog), have always wanted to make a model from the Dale Brown books, read the whole lot while I was doing Jury Service, was a sweet deal, getting paid to sit there reading a book and having my lunch brought to me. However one major thing between the EB-52 and that crazy BUFF you made Albeback52, the EB-52 has 4 engines not 6. But seeing as it's not the EB-52 it doesn't matter really. The EB-1C Vampire (B-1) or the AL-52 Dragon (a B-52 with a chemical laser in it) might be good build too for an What-if thing.

Dazz

it makes me smile how many of us have cats that destroy. mine luckily has not killed any yet but he does like to jump on me or stick claws in me at those moments when im about to do something small and fiddly or decaling or with a knife.

so i either get scratched bit or i stab myself either of which is followed by a scream from me with a respondent and angry "MIEAOOOWW" or "FEED ME AGAIN"

should have called the cat oliver twist .. more please.

Loving the idea and the model Albeback52, I can imagine it being a bugger to fly and park :P Reminds me of all of the weird bombers you see in the Ace Combat series of games. THe thing is so bit, it doesn't even look like it's sitting on it's undercarriage... those bombs are looking very menacing and STFU!

However I love the "kinda" EB-52 (the "proper" name for the Old Dog), have always wanted to make a model from the Dale Brown books, read the whole lot while I was doing Jury Service, was a sweet deal, getting paid to sit there reading a book and having my lunch brought to me. However one major thing between the EB-52 and that crazy BUFF you made Albeback52, the EB-52 has 4 engines not 6. But seeing as it's not the EB-52 it doesn't matter really. The EB-1C Vampire (B-1) or the AL-52 Dragon (a B-52 with a chemical laser in it) might be good build too for an What-if thing.

Dazz

Lol!! I'm happy to report that all 36 wheels are touching the table!.

I wasn't consciously trying to build an EB-52 allthough, having also read the book, I'd be a liar if I said it didn't give SOME inspiration.. However, you're right about the fictional aicraft in the computer games. I came across a picture of a B-52 with 4 large turbofan engines, a "V" tail & winglets but unmodified nose. Cannot recall where though. I'm assuming the big engines were in the RB-211 class ( a genuine proposal I I R C?) I didn''t have 4 x 1/72 RB-211s handy but, I DID have a batch of CFM -56 turbofans! The current CFM-56 -7 is rated at 27,000lbs thrust ( the most powerful of the range) but, I reckoned the B-52 would still be tad underpowered with just four of these tiddlers!! So, I felt that 6 was not unreasonable.

Actually, it occurred to me AFTER completion ( Sod's law of modelling!!) that those huge R R Trent engines from the Revell Airbus A380 would (even "scaled UP " to 1/72) look pretty convincing!! However, I'm saving THEM for my Airbus/Antonov A-450 replacement for the C-5A/B!! (Using the Antonov An -124 as the base kit!) Too late for this "what if" GB but, if there's a future one.................!!!!!

Allan

it makes me smile how many of us have cats that destroy. mine luckily has not killed any yet but he does like to jump on me or stick claws in me at those moments when im about to do something small and fiddly or decaling or with a knife.

so i either get scratched bit or i stab myself either of which is followed by a scream from me with a respondent and angry "MIEAOOOWW" or "FEED ME AGAIN"

should have called the cat oliver twist .. more please.

Lol!! Know the feeling!! Still, she's my family & wouldn't have it any other way! I think I may even be about to acquire another little moggy! No! No! She's not expecting kittens although I rather suspect if she was, I 'd keep them all!

Allan :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, totally forgotten I had written in this thread... :doh:TBH I dont think the engines "actual" power ratings would be a problem for an "what-if" you could just make up an engine name and power rating much like Dale Brown did. I know there was an old computer game with an EB-52 in it, but this is going back to the days of the old C64 and it was actually based on "Flight of the Old Dog" so it was the EB-52 in it. I might get around to making one in 1/144 one day, or one of the other fantastic planes that Dale Brown has thought of.

One "what-if" project that would be amazing if anyone was crazy enough to attempt it would be to build the P-1112 Aigaion Heavy Command Cruiser look at the first picture with the 6... yes 6 KC-10's (or KC-135's not too sure) refueling it. The second picture is with an SU-47 Terminator landing on it, carrier style. It's one huge mofo. Or even the XB-0 Hresvelgr,trust the Japanese to come out with some crazy ideas. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz