1/32 F-15C Bitburg Eagle **Finished** :)

Alan P

True Al........up til then we had to put up with the Lightning !! :whistle:

The first time I saw one was at Greenham Common back in '76, along with an F-14A....mien Gott.... never seen anything like it...the Eagle driver ended his routine by spectacularly scraping (and scrapping) his tail feathers

along the runway during an over zealous high alpha landing amid a shower of expensive sparks. Not surprisingly the back up aircraft and pilot flew the second day ! ! the red faced number one was nowhere to be seen... :doh:

I remember it well, I have a slide or two of said jet emitting sparks!

As for the assembly problems, I have an article somewhere that says don't use the screws, it distorts things. If you just glue it, there is no problem! Bit late now, I know.

As for the assembly problems, I have an article somewhere that says don't use the screws, it distorts things. If you just glue it, there is no problem! Bit late now, I know.

Well, when I test fitted without the screws there was still a big step, so I'm not sure what the answer is - if I ever built this kit again (and I probably won't, it's massive!) I think I'd put a shim in the wings to widen the cross-section at mid-chord. I've now completely rescribed the affected area, and primed with Mr Surfacer 1000, it's looking pretty good. More phot's when the daylight returns...

Al

Looking good Al.

Nice recovery with the wings. I have one of these ready for primer (doing it in its Flanker guise) and has been for a while as it got packed up during the recent house move. This was the kit where I did the wing thing similer to the Flanker I'm doing. Thought I would try it after building the Bunker Buster version and discovered the step.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64
  • Like 1

Thanks very much folks! All that ship building I did last year has paid off with attention to fine details.

The decals are actually placards from the Eduard placard set, seems to be a must for me there days if the kit has one.

I attempted to fix the wings by doing a shaped shim to fit the seam and then fairing it in with putty. I'll see how that works later. Otherwise it could be a job for milliput.

Thanks for the compliments especially Monty, still working that one out!

Al

I meant that as a compliment as there are various levels of modellers. I consider myself to be at the very lower end and I class your work as being at the very top end.

Monty

• Like 1

Monty thanks, i wasn't being serious! Anyway, ten years ago I couldn't glue two parts together without melting them, my canopy frames looked like they'd been painted by a drunken slug, and I thought resin was something you bought from a Jamaican in a nightclub.

I've just got better over time, and joining a model club was probably the most beneficial thing to improving techniques, and I've spent shedloads over the past decade on airbrush, compressors, tools etc. I'm lucky it's paid off or the wife would have killed me by now! :hanging:

Al

Following this with the same keen interest I follow all your builds Al, the cockpit looks like you could just get in there and fly it off the bench, but one question: Do you really know what all those switches do?!

my canopy frames looked like they'd been painted by a drunken slug

Are you referring to me? :drink:

Sorry to hear about the knee, what happened?! It wasn't after dancing on the tables in the nightclub where you got that resin was it?!

Edited by Busdriver
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2012 at 9:00 AM, Busdriver said:
Sorry to hear about the knee, what happened?! It wasn't after dancing on the tables in the nightclub where you got that resin was it?!

He's back! No really, you shouldn't have! Ruptured my ACL in January, just had it fixed two weeks ago. Should be back at work in about 7 weeks - time enough to do a couple of big jets I should think!

All main components ready for primer and pre-shading :lol:

tn_IMAG0655

My pre-shading philosophy is to provide depth and variation to a uniform colour, which is why I don't use it that often. I am not at all convinced by the "patchwork quilt" effect so in vogue these days (I call it "the American School"!) as it is almost always unrealistic, and I can't work out why it passes as "weathering" when it is anything but!

If you've seen any of my previous builds, particularly the big Tornado, B-1B and 1/48 Tornado, you'll know I often experiment with pre-shade with varying results. This time, as the aircraft is almost a uniform shade of light grey, I thought I'd go for a real varied base of Gunship Gray FS 36118.

Weapon of choice: WEM Gunship Gray

tn_IMAG0657

First effort - ailerons

tn_IMAG0658

tn_IMAG0659

Flying surfaces:

tn_IMAG0661

Underside and topside:

tn_IMAG0660

tn_IMAG0662

Hopefully, you can see that what I'm trying to do is just break up and vary the surface without tracing every single panel line, and filling in the space with blotches, streaks and shading. I'm giving heavier staining to the areas around hinged panels and quick-release catches as these would naturally become more worn. Also, the area on top of the intakes and the left side fuselage gets extra punishment!

Close-ups:

tn_IMAG0663

tn_IMAG0664

I will be using Xtracolour enamel for the topcoat, and normally spray very thin coats, so black would have been too harsh. I'm pretty happy with the Gunship Gray, and we'll see how it turns out!

Al

Edited by Alan P

Eagle,......did someone say Eagle.....? :frantic:

Can never have too many Eagles :thumbsup:

Neat job so far Al. I'm looking forward to seeing the Compass Ghost scheme again. My cousin is planning something similar. I did n't notice but are you using the Hobbydecal panel number stencils? I bought a set ages ago hoping to use them on a future build only to discover that they're not often seen on the Mod Eagle birds... :wall: ...... :rolleyes:

I've been scouring the world for a reasonably priced -C or -J to build as a 493rd "Grim Reapers" jet in Mod Eagle scheme to complete my Lakenheath set but they are all a small fortune. Can't believe how much plastic costs these days.... :S

Looking forward to seeing the top coat come alive.

Cheers.

Thanks for dropping by Guy! Eagle gurus always welcome :-)

I've ordered the hobby decal sets from Russia, and after 9 days I am starting to wonder.... If I draw a blank I might be after you for those panel numbers....!

After the problems I had with stencils on my big Phantom this year, I thought I'd use the dry transfers, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Any ideas, please let me know!

Al

one thing to watch out for with the later batches of light and dark compass grays from Xtracolor is that their colur fidelity is definitely off. They are too neutral and not blue enough in my opinion, whereas the Xtracrylics are a virtual dead match to my FS chips as well as my perception ofvwhat these colours should look like.

Guy, how did you get the Flightpath exhausts to look that good? Any in progress shots onhow you did it?

Jens

I've ordered the hobby decal sets from Russia, and after 9 days I am starting to wonder.... If I draw a blank I might be after you for those panel numbers....!

After the problems I had with stencils on my big Phantom this year, I thought I'd use the dry transfers, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Any ideas, please let me know!

Al

Hi Al, let me know how you get on. I'm sure we can sort something out on the stencils if you're struggling.

Guy, how did you get the Flightpath exhausts to look that good? Any in progress shots onhow you did it?

Jens

Thanks for the compliment Jens.

Have a look here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=73471&st=224

HTH

Well, I certainly can't top that, or even approach it! But here's what I managed with the kit nozzles before washes etc.

tn_IMAG0665

tn_IMAG0667

The first coat of Xtracolour Light Compass Gray is on, and it does look quite grey rather than bluey-grey. Under fluorescent light anyway. I'll have a look tomorrow under natural light - it may be I'll have to go over it with a thin coat of blue when I've applied the Dark Compass Gray. Oh well, I've still got time!

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Thank you for the link Guy - absolutely terrific workmanship! It also convinced me that I wouldn't have the skill or patience to get the Flightpath nozzles look half as good as yours.

Jens

You're welcome Jens and thank you. The Flightpath nozzles were alot of work and as Al has just shown in the above pics, not entirely necessary.

Al, apologies for the slight thread hi-jack and congrats on a splendid result with the kit jet nozzles. :goodjob:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Al

Al,

did you try The Aviation Hobby Shop for Hobbydecal stuff?

Stephen

did you try The Aviation Hobby Shop for Hobbydecal stuff?

I hadn't, but it seems to be drawing a blank. I'm more concerned about the £22 I spent on stuff that I don't even know is coming or not... no reply to emails and no communication received, all I know is that Paypal has taken my money, and beyond that I haven't heard a thing.

Al

Al,

Your F-15C Eagle is really coming along Superbly.

I especially like your Flightpath nozzles as your talent and craftmanship is Amazing.

Looking forward to more photos.

Regards,

Karen

Your F-15C Eagle is really coming along Superbly.

I especially like your Flightpath nozzles as your talent and craftmanship is Amazing.

It might have got a bit lost in the thread wandering, but I didn't actually make those Flightpath nozzles, it was Guy (geedubelyer) - mine are just the kit ones in the last picture :blush:

Al

It might have got a bit lost in the thread wandering, but I didn't actually make those Flightpath nozzles, it was Guy (geedubelyer) - mine are just the kit ones in the last picture :blush:

Al

Still, I am greatly impressed about the way your build is coming along. I can tell that you are one of the Great modellers on this site.

Karen

On 20/10/2012 at 10:07 PM, Belle said:

Still, I am greatly impressed about the way your build is coming along. I can tell that you are one of the Great modellers on this site.

That's a very nice thing to say :blush:

Well, in the end, I didn't get the wheels I needed, so I have sanded off the shoulder of the kit wheels to better represent the look of the C/D model wheel profiles. The modified one is on the left!

tn_IMAG0668

Finished off the nozzles - I toned down the brightness of the actuator arms as they looked a bit too silver. The blue heat staining is done using Tamiya weathering powder.

tn_IMAG0671

The paintjob came out just about right:

tn_IMAG0669

Unfortunately, this is the point in the build where the model becomes difficult to photograph properly, and usually when progress pics dry up! I'll attempt to keep it going but no promises!

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1