1/32 F-15C Bitburg Eagle **Finished** :)

Alan P

Did the Soesterburg Eagles stand Zulu Alert (QRA)? I only ask cos they did at Bitburg (definitely not the most industrialised landscape I ever visited, I must say :hmmm: ) due to the proximity of East Germany. Four planes had to be fully armed at all times on five minute standby, and they generally looked a bit tatty compared with the ones in the TAB-Vees.

As I did mine as the Colonel's jet, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as mucky as the rest, or some careless crew chief might have found himself on a C-141 to Eielson!

Al

Yes they did, but not sharing with the Dutch. They were on alert to cover policing the northern half of West German airspace (2 ATAF) along with the Wildenrath wing - 2 aircraft each on RS05. We called it Battle Flight. Bitburg provided the 4 ATAF element for the southern half of West Germany. The quirk here was that the German Air Force could not police their own airspace which was a legacy of the agreements by the occupying powers - USA, UK, USSR and France. France did not participate so covered by the USAF and RAF in the West and the Soviet Air Force in East Germany. The Dutch and the West Germans held NATO QRA(I) but the Germans could effectively only operate in international airspace over the North Sea and Baltic. NATO would have happily let the GAF police West German airspace but the Soviets would not agree which is why it only changed after the wall came down.

Geoff

• Like 2

Can't make Telford due knee problems, but the plane also can't make it as I couldn't find a big enough box, or big enough mug to transport it up there!

It'll probably appear on the Farnborough IPMS website later this month. Maybe.

Al

It'll probably appear on the Farnborough IPMS website later this month. Maybe.

Ironically I took this down the club yesterday and it placed 2nd in the monthly competition - and would have been soundly whacked into 3rd if one of the planes hadn't been in a diorama! It speaks volumes for the amazing standard of modelling that IPMS Farnborough is producing at the moment :worthy:

Al

Ironically I took this down the club yesterday and it placed 2nd in the monthly competition - and would have been soundly whacked into 3rd if one of the planes hadn't been in a diorama! It speaks volumes for the amazing standard of modelling that IPMS Farnborough is producing at the moment :worthy:

Al

All I can say is that you were robbed Al.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a great job! Personally, I believe the stencils really make this build pop! I built the old 1:32 Revell F-15E (of sorts) when it first came out, and I used a Microscale sheet that actually had the panel numbers as well as the stencils. Talk about a gabillion decals - yikes!!

I love the subtle weathering on this one, especially on top of the intakes. Great work!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Finished off the nozzles - I toned down the brightness of the actuator arms as nthey looked a bit too silver. The blue heat staining is done using Tamiya weathering powder.l

What color(s) did you use n the exterior of those nozzles? You nailed the brownish color exactly!

Edited by Jennings Heilig