1/32 F-15C Bitburg Eagle **Finished** :)

Alan P

Looking good Al, the nozzles look the part, must admit I'd have been very tempted with the FP ones but then I'm a masochist and need full time hospital care.....Are you going to droop the 'tailerons' or are they now fixed ? Camo looks good from what I can make out from the piccy you've posted, stirling work fella.........should be done soon then !

Al, what a beauty!

As far as photos go, I picked up one of these and have never looked back!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160803325967

I can tell that you are one of the Great modellers on this site.

Karen, you're not wrong there!

Edited by Busdriver
  • Like 1

Al,

If your camera has various settings for shooting, try full automatic with the lens on automatic focus. That will get everything in focus if you don't use the manual setting on aperture mode..

Monty

• Like 1

Thanks very much for these comments, very nice people you all!

Are you going to droop the 'tailerons' or are they now fixed ?

They're moveable, like a lot of stuff in this kit - nose cone, canopy, avionics bay panel, gun access hatch, variable incidence intakes are all positionable. Clever engineering, especially considering it was released in 1994.

On the home straight now, should be finished by the end of the week.

Al

Al, what a beauty!

As far as photos go, I picked up one of these and have never looked back!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160803325967

Karen, you're not wrong there!

I am so pleased to be part of a forum with such wonderful people and fabulous modellers.

Kind Regards,

Karen

Hi Al!

Just noticed this thread of yours! Stunning build so far..

Sorry to hear about the enforced time off, thought it had been quiet at work!!!

At least you can take your time between building models and be word perfect on your new procedures when you get back :winkgrin:

Looking forward to your MiG build!

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Wobblehead

Thanks very much for these comments, very nice people you all!

They're moveable, like a lot of stuff in this kit - nose cone, canopy, avionics bay panel, gun access hatch, variable incidence intakes are all positionable. Clever engineering, especially considering it was released in 1994.

Al

Do you think you would find one on evilbay our where would you recommend?

Hi Mark,

There are plenty of them out there, still retailing around the 80-100 quid mark. A lot of eBay sellers are China-based, so you will need to factor in the VAT and parcel handling charge (up to 30 quid extra!) if you go down that road!

eModels and Wonderland usually have stock, worth calling beforehand though! modelsforsale has the J in stock which is the same kit if you have your own decals. All retailing about £95.

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

Al

So it should be ready for the next club night? That is very nice work there Al, and I a looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I've moved the modelling indoors for the winter now, so hopefully, I can keep the photos coming...

State of play as of this evening:

tn_IMAG0680

tn_IMAG0681

tn_IMAG0683

Aircraft specific markings are on, from the TwoBobs "Eifel Eagles" sheet. I found the Osprey "Superbase 10: Bitburg" book very useful for placing these. Those who have been paying attention will realise that I've changed the subject airplane from 79-0053 to 79-0036, the Wing Commander's personal aircraft. (0036=36th TFW, geddit??)

Also applied the Hobbydecal panel numbers - the whole job took about an hour, a fraction of what waterslide stencils would have been. And, of course, no silvering and instant application!

tn_IMAG0678

tn_IMAG0676

tn_IMAG0679

Radar and nose painted - I elected, in the end, to close the radar access panel as the potential for cockups was high at this delicate stage of the build.

tn_IMAG0682

Tonight I'm going to finish off the canopy and HUD - the pylons, drop tank and solitary AIM-9 drill round also need finishing off.

If the remaining stencils arrive tomorrow, this will be finished at the weekend and ready for weathering :yahoo:

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Cheers guys. Jabba, I tried doing the panel numbers using normal decals on my USAFE Phantom, but it was so fiddly and half of them were silvering, so it just wasn't worth it. The dry transfers make all the difference, I'm truly amazed more options aren't available for stuff like stencils.

The rest of the flippin stencils still haven't arrived, so I'm going to open the MiG-29 today. Hope I don't forget the Eagle!

The Flightpath nozzles were alot of work and as Al has just shown in the above pics, not entirely necessary.

The point is though that no detail set or aftermarket accessory is 'entirely necessary' - these products are just offered as an option for the builder, who can use them or super-detail from scratch. It just provides choice for the modeller, that is all.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

The point is though that no detail set or aftermarket accessory is 'entirely necessary' - these products are just offered as an option for the builder, who can use them or super-detail from scratch. It just provides choice for the modeller, that is all.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

And if I was taking more time over this model, I surely would have indulged myself!

Al (Flightpath fan!)

Al, will you please stop making the Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-15C look so blinkin' appealing.....! :fight:

How am I supposed to find an affordable one if everyone and his mate sees this build and then wants to build their own? :chair:

:badmood:

Just joking of course. ^_^ I'm thrilled to see how this one is turning out and I'm glad that you are sharing your project with us, thanks.

Very neat (and speedy) work too. She looks very chic in her Compass Ghost grey and the panel stencil numbers finish the job a treat :goodjob:

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Hello David, I agree with you entirely and I'm very glad that your sets are available. Having used them on both of my two large scale F-15s I have been happy with the results and would probably use a third set if I ever find an F-15C to build. No offence was intended. I should have added that they are the icing on the cake.

Cheers.

:pilot:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Al,

Your craftmanship is amazing. I conjure up images of Pele, Senna, Ali and the great John Holmes - all masters of their chosen fields. You are certainly in elite company.

If my version of this kit comes out half as good as yours, I will be thrilled.

Brilliant.

Monty

• Like 1

Gosh, I've come over all hot and bothered! :wub: Thanks very much for the very nice comments so far :)

HUD - using my very useful polarised film from Japan:

tn_IMAG0685

The colour changes as you change perspective :)

Finished off the weathering, don't want to overdo it:

tn_IMAG0686

tn_IMAG0687

tn_IMAG0688

tn_IMAG0689

Metalwork at the back finished:

tn_IMAG0692

tn_IMAG0693

Rattled ahead and fitted droptank, pylons and Sidewinder - just a few bits and bobs and the rest of the cockpit to finish and it's done!!

tn_IMAG0694

tn_IMAG0695

Now, how to actually take some decent photos of this - it's HUUUUUGE! :hmmm:

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1