Airco DH 2 Eduard or Roden?

Radpoe Spitfire

Right,I know we are looking at 2 scales here, but I fancy both Eduard's 1/48 & Roden's 1/ 32. Question is which one to choose?

Admittedly, my usual scale is 1/48, but I'm becoming a bit of a fan of 1/32.

So what do you fellows recommend please?

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 1

Just to throw/sow more confusion there is now also this little gem from Wingnut Wings;

http://wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3038

The Eduard is a vey nice, be it in Weekend or Profipak version. In 1/32 I would go with the Wingnut Wings example. Should state that mine has yet to arrive (Portuguese customs...) but basd on their previous models and the details shown on their web site, it will be amazing.

Me? I would do both, as I have!

HTH

Christian the Married

Edited by wyverns4

Hmmm, I saw the WnW threads about the DH 2 after I wrote this. Am I right in saying they are made in New Zealand.

If they are, my Sister is in New Zealand for 6 weeks with my Nephew, I will get them to price 1 up and if I can afford one get them to bring one back.

Thanks for the reply,

Rad

They are made in New Zealand but I'm not sure if they supply directly to shops. I have two to build and am yet to hear anything other than five stars for these kits.

They are made in New Zealand but I'm not sure if they supply directly to shops. I have two to build and am yet to hear anything other than five stars for these kits.

Thank you for confirming that, I will do some investigatiions to find out availability

Regards Rad

They don't supply to shops. If you've an address in NZ they'll deliver to that for the $ price on the website. Or they'll deliver to the UK for the same $ price but be prepared to shell out a further £20 on VAT and handling fees from Royal Mail.

If it was me with that complexity of rigging I'd be buying the largest scale available. Rodens offering does come in for criticism but Des over a ww1aircraftmodels has built one up and speaks relatively highly of it.

Me, I'll be buying the WNW version, the riggings hard enough to deal with let alone worry about the build going together.

Apparently, the Roden 1:32 DH-2 is not a very good kit. Didn't build it myself, but I read some reviews criticizing it being below the usual roden-standard. So, I would either stick to the 1:48-scale and get the Eduard one, oder the 1:32 WNW.

Alex

The Roden kit is a dogpile. Absolutely doo-doo.

There's ejector pin marks like skyscrapers....right in the middle of detail, and what detail there is is seriously underpar; wings, nacelle etc. It's awful. Oh, and then there's the awkward tailboom assembly and the flash. Apart from that though, it's just crap.

As for the WNW version...it's a lightyear ahead, and I'm starting mine soon. Both together, side by side, there's no comparison....

The Roden kit is a dogpile. Absolutely s***e.

There's ejector pin marks like skyscrapers....right in the middle of detail, and what detail there is is seriously underpar; wings, nacelle etc. It's awful. Oh, and then there's the awkward tailboom assembly and the flash. Apart from that though, it's just crap.

As for the WNW version...it's a lightyear ahead, and I'm starting mine soon. Both together, side by side, there's no comparison....

Is that an official Britmodeller "always look for the positive" review. :-)

That build took an awful lot of additional work & parts.

It's possible to turn even the most useless kit into a great build with the right skills, patience & AM, but that is hardly a measure of the quality of the kit you started with.

The builder comments, ". . .

In the end this build proved very satisfying and fun project, where I got to test some new things with a lot of good advice from the Early Aviation crowd. And the rigging? Well it was not very hard to do... truly just more!. . ."

Bruno Stachel, aka George Peppard, from the Blue Max film. He shoots down an aircraft but cannot locate the wreckage and is told by his CO that the kill will not be credited by Armee HQ. At least that's what I've always thought.

Steve

The builder comments, ". . .

In the end this build proved very satisfying and fun project, where I got to test some new things with a lot of good advice from the Early Aviation crowd. And the rigging? Well it was not very hard to do... truly just more!. . ."

Indeed, but much as a stopped watch is correct twice a day, you must compare this single opinion with the multitude of differing opinions.

The weight of opinions on Roden's DH.2 is that it is clearly inferior in every respect to WNW's offering and is one of Roden's less successful efforts.

That's not to say that a determined and skillful builder can put together a fantastic build - I'm thinking in particular of Des's build on WW1aircraftmodels.com, still my favorite build - but the sheer weight of evidence that it's not a brilliant kit is pretty overwhelming.

Add in the WNW DH.2 - which is just a beautiful model kit, the fabric effect on the cockpit walls is just stunning in itself - and anybody who builds the Roden version in preference to the WNW version is either short of cash or up for a challenge!

I agree entirely.I have both the Roden and the new WNW.They are both very good kits.I should know,I've built some right dogs in my time.

Ok, you want some shots of the pile of cack that is Roden?

I bought my Roden DH.2 on the strength of reviews as those on Aeroscale, and if it was possible to claim for loss of money against buying crap, then Aeroscale would have been sent a letter by now. You don't see any real pictures of the real crap you get in the box with your review.....

Here you are:

DSC02164.jpg

DSC09505.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

DSC09506.jpg

DSC09515.jpg

DSC09519.jpg

DSC09523.jpg

DSC09524.jpg

DSC09526.jpg

DSC09525.jpg

DSC09514.jpg

DSC09510.jpg

That model you show has been made with some seriously superb modelling skills and care and attention. You DON'T get that out of the box, no matter how amazingly glowing your review was...

• Like 1

Easy boys... lets not get our panties bunched and ribtape twisted over a simple difference of opinion :hmmm: Looking at the evidence that Jim has provided though, I know which one I'd have :)

We know that anything is possible with a poor kit if a Sanger Stirling can win SMW ;)

• Like 1

Ok, you want some shots of the pile of cack that is Roden?

I bought my Roden DH.2 on the strength of reviews as those on Aeroscale, and if it was possible to claim for loss of money against buying crap, then Aeroscale would have been sent a letter by now. You don't see any real pictures of the real crap you get in the box with your review. . .That model you show has been made with some seriously superb modelling skills and care and attention. You DON'T get that out of the box, no matter how amazingly glowing your review was...

If you genuinely feel that Roden is a bad kit then send it back and ask for your money. The fact that a better modeler than you or I did a fine job on the Roden kit simply says he is a better modeler than you or I. Since the WNW kit has just been released I think we can all see that it is far more detailed and has more parts than the Roden kit. But it simply was not available in 2009 to provide your vivid comparison. Over all the Roden DH 2 is dimensionally sound. For its time it was the best available. In the last 3 weeks it appears that it has been eclipsed. The Roden kit still builds up well with sound modeling skills.

Edited by JackFlash

Thank you all for the info you've provided. I must admit the quality ot the WnW kit surpasses that of Roden's.

If money was no object, I'd go for the WnW offering.

However 1 small moan. Can we keep the language down please?

I'm not Impartial to use vulgarity, but it isn't needed on a forum like this one.

By all means, share your opinion, but younger modeller's don't need to read it.

Thanks again for your help

Regards Rad

Couldn't agree more Rad... :)

@JackFlash - Jim is an excellent modeller, but I think he was driving at the point that it requires too much work for "yer average modeller" to make anything resembling that wonderful model you posted as an example. Whilst he may have overstated the problems with the Roden kit for dramatic purposes, he does seem to have a point. The WnW kit has eclipsed the Roden offering and will probably upset a lot of owners of the Roden example as a result, wishing they'd hung fire. It's not that unreasonable of a modeller to want to be able to build a nice detailed model of an aircraft from the box, and WnW have provided just such an experience for the WWI modeller. I hope that Roden and others take note and raise their game.

For the avoidance of doubt, Jim is a friend of mine :)

• Like 1