another spitfire question

greycap

1/. With the advent of the pair of radiators, and consequent stronger upper surface covering. Exceptions were the Vs, which were converted to IXs, and which seem to have retained their original markings.

2/. Haven't a clue, sorry.

Edgar

On 10/12/2012 at 8:54 AM, Edgar said:

1/. With the advent of the pair of radiators, and consequent stronger upper surface covering. Exceptions were the Vs, which were converted to IXs, and which seem to have retained their original markings.

Edgar

i-vQ9SZDF-L.jpg

This Mk. IX clearly has the asymmetrical wing walk lines. Based on what can be seen of the codes, it's got to be LH-T (the only other possible first letters being E or Z, neither of which was an RAF squadron code with H), which places it in 350 Sqn. Assuming the information in the database at spitfires.ukf.net is correct, the earliest Mk. IX serial flown by 350 Sqn. was MH428, an LF Mk. IX which first flew in August 1943, well after the Mk. V-to IX conversion production had ended, I believe? If my reading of the data is correct, one would have to conclude that at least some Mk. IXs were still being produced with asymmetrical wing walk lines well into the latter half of 1943.

Edited by Seawinder

A very interesting photo. Particularly the code. The Spitfire has an above average 'shiny' finish. I would be pretty sure the code is EH-T the personal Spitfire of W/C E H Thomas. W/C Flying at Biggin Hill. His Spitfire was BR 369

Adjacent to the top of the 'T' some stenciling can be seen. This is the fuselage construction number applied externally on Supermarine built Spitfires only, not CBAF.

So this is very early Mk IX, indeed a Mk V converted to a Mk IX at Vickers High Post.

May I ask 'pnmoss', please, if you could read the construction number stencil with a magnifying glass. It should read 6S-******.

Edited by Mark12

350 Squadron's codes were "MN."

The only known user of "LH" codes was the Station Flight, Mepal, Cambridgeshire; though there's little information on the aircraft, at least one Spitfire was used.

Following on from Mark 12's item above, BR369 is listed, in a book by Peter Moss, as a V - IX conversion, carried out by Rolls-Royce at Hucknall.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Looks like "6S417*5" and "C WING or TYPE" beneath it.

It also shows what we've been telling the masses,you can only see Spit panel lines when

you're up close(the wing is very smooth being filled and primed,gun access panels don't

stand out that much either).

It's also fitted with the earlier style IFF,there's a pot on the roundel(as Mark say's,a V conversion).

The cowling cover bungee runs right down the fuselage side and hooks under the

backend of the gullwing fairing(not rags stuffed in a gap).

Also look at the wing panels and aileron beside the rubber mat on the wing,

some ripples and dents in the skin by the look of it(a touch of 'Erk big foot?)

Edited by Miggers

A very interesting photo. Particularly the code. The Spitfire has an above average 'shiny' finish. I would be pretty sure the code is EH-T the personal Spitfire of W/C E H Thomas. W/C Flying at Biggin Hill. His Spitfire was BR 369

Adjacent to the top of the 'T' some stenciling can be seen. This is the fuselage construction number applied externally on Supermarine built Spitfires only, not CBAF.

So this is very early Mk IX, indeed a Mk V converted to a Mk IX at Vickers High Post.

May I ask 'pnmoss', please, if you could read the construction number stencil with a magnifying glass. It should read 6S-******.

You may ask, but unfortunately I only have the photo in digital format -- can't remember where on the net I found it. In any case, I stand corrected for my apparently faulty research. I will say I looked on http://p.v.free.fr/l_for_love/raf_codes.htm, which didn't show EH as a code used in WW2.

Pip Moss

A very interesting photo... The Spitfire has an above average 'shiny' finish...

I'd say that was because the aircraft is wet from heavy rain. Look at the ground and support equipment in the photo, everything has just been soaked during a heavy shower, most likely a standard finish with a layer of water sticking to it.

Also I notice the Spitfire behind our subject looks like an early IX but carries a different, two letter, code ahead of the roundel - EX or FX perhaps? Will this assist in narrowing down squadron, time or location?

It could be "FY," which would be 611 Squadron, who had Spitfire IXs from July 1942, and were based at Biggin hill from September 1942 to July 1943.

The cover, over the engine, is for a heater, to warm the engine, so the shiny finish could be melted frost, or the residue of autumn/winter fog, which can plague Biggin Hill; with close inspection, there is the hint of a bulge, under the engine cover, which could be the "carbuncle," associated with some IX conversions, too.

Edgar

That 'rain' looks very crisp and even..and on the vertical and overhung surfaces.

And note the damp concrete under the wing, which if rain should have been protected.

I suspect more likely the Wingco's special Spitfire with a waxed and polished finish.

Edited by Mark12

I'd say that was because the aircraft is wet from heavy rain.

There is a whole series of photos taken at the same time as this one, and in many of them you can see the puddles on the ground. I suspect it had just stopped raining, or in fact it may still have been raining when the photos were taken. I know that's difficult to imagine, the photos being taken in the UK and all, but I'm told by a fairly reliable source that it does in fact rain on rare occasions in the fair British Isles. It's always been severely sunny and pleasant when I've been there :)

• Like 1

If it was actually raining when that photo was taken wouldn't the canopy be closed? I really dont know what RAF practice was,but as an ex motorcyclist I can still remember the unpleasant sensation of a wet bottom :)

It does look a bit damp and I'd say it certainly has been raining.

Steve