1/48 - Grumman HU-16A Albatros by Trumpeter - released - new Alley Cat nose correction set

Homebee

All this nit picking over what???? I have quite a few hours flying an -A model, Vancouver to Midland, TX and Vancouver to Chino and it was great muscling the big beast at low level. The aircraft was owned by a friend and was finished in RCAF markings..even though we did not operate the -A. I'll buy one for Jerry and wait for a -B for my own collection.

Now quit the bickering over nothing and get on with building

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Anyone know which version was in Flight From Ashiya? Seem to remember it in the same USAF colours as this kit.

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the part images, it is immediately apparent there is a shape problem with the forward fuselage. It shows in the curve of the hull 'chine', which has almost a corner instead of the real thing's smooth, continuous curve. They do show the 'reflexive' curve, but then it goes into basically a circular radius to transition to the bottom line. I suppose this could be corrected by sawing out the offending area and building up a replacement profile, easily established with a flat piece of card grafted into the hole. The real trouble is re-profiling the bottom hull, and the impact on the nose gear bay. Do-able, I reckon.

Dang it, I wish Trumpeter would stop having these issues with basic shapes! Good basic dimensions according to our friends over at the IPMS/PI, but as soon as I saw the pix of the build up I was wondering what was wrong. You gotta get tired of either having to do surgery or just living with the 'wrongness'. Perhaps this is their "anti-piracy" strategy?

This isn't a fluke, it is a trend. I have several of their kits ID'ed for the OR, and with this kind of track record, perhaps *all* my Trumpie purchases will "go under the knife":
1/350 USS Hornet (really bad hull)
1/48 Su-24 (rear fuselage shape issues)
1/72 An-3 (cowling and 'texture details issues)
1/32 F8F Bearcat (and little brother 1/48 HobbyBoss) - admittedly relatively minor issues including the cowling - just off the top of my head.

Sigh. Guess I need to go look at that MiG-23 again...I hate being negative, but we're not talking about 'cheap, beginner plastic' kits here, these are aimed squarely at the mature, craftsman modeler - and priced accordingly.

Is there any way we can get them to listen, or at least let someone who is a "guru" help them sort the kits *before* they hit the street? This isn't rocket science; for example, Moebius' release of the 1/72 Skipjack, molded by a Chinese company, was "corrected" pre-release while in development by an expert in the field (a friend of mine so got this straight, etc.) Granted, Moebius is under non-Chinese management, but it seems obvious to me if you are building a kit of say, a British subject, you'd try and work with some Brit experts (or at least enthusiasts) to keep from making basic mistakes. In this day and age, I find it really inexcusable.

Regards, Robert

• Like 2

just curious, how much is the price of this model kit in Uk? in italy is listed around 100 euros. Imho a little pricey.

First look review

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/kit_tru_2821.shtml

And dedicated Caracal decals sheets (http://www.caracalmodels.com/48scale.html) are expected soon

First ref. 48041

Source: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?&showtopic=264990

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 5 weeks later...

Love the Naha based USN Albatross, it's one I wanted to build for some time.

I like the Mister Kit boxing too, same scheme that I used on a 1/144 kit I built for one of the group builds here.

The 86 Euro pricetag is also quite good IMHO, or at least is comparable to other 1/48 kits of similar size

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first 1/48th Albatross sheet from Caracal Models is available for preorder now.

Models CD48041: 1/48 US Navy Albatross (HU-16C & UF-1)

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48041.html

The options on this decal sheet are:

• US Navy UF-1 Albatross, NAS Norfolk
  • US Navy HU-16C Albatross, NASU Naha, Japan
  • US Navy HU-16C Albatross, NASU Iwakuni, Japan
  • US Navy UF-1 Albatross, US Naval Attache to Oslo
  • US Navy UF-1 Albatross, NAS Whidbey Island
  • US Navy UF-1T Albatross, USNA - Annapolis

albatross_drafts1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Ali,

I do not know about trumpeter's plans, but considering that:

- the B was in service with the ROCAF (the "other" China air force), so the potential market is strong enough

- they tend to release their subjects in multi versions (multi boxes)

I would say yes.

Fellow Modellers hello!!

My name is Kostas Kavvathias and i live and work in Corfu-Greece!! My work is an effort in Aviation, military, and maritime art! This effort brought me in contact since 2010, with the Chinese model companies of Trumpeter and Hobby Boss! The last 3 years i work for them as a boxart artist! It was one of my dreams to come true! I was so much inspired all those past years by the great masters of boxart illustrations, such as, the late Roy Cross of Airfix, Shigeo Koike of Hasegawa Model co, and my favourite..Mr Roy Huxley of matchbox model kits!! In fact, i keep in contact with Roy and he gives me many advices in the fields of aviation art!!

I did the above HU-16A Albatros boxart image, intenting for the soon to be released, HU-16A in 48th scale by Trumpeter models!! I can understand in the fields of art, some critics will be not pleasant, cos every body has his right for his opinion! I am hoping that mr T7 Models and venomvixen were joking in their view about HU-16's boxart image! Cos if not, i find this critic a bit cynical!

Ships go under for various reasons not just because of rough seas!!! Moreover, i do not recall any ship to sink because was bitten by a shark! This image was done under collaboration with my client, Trumpeter Models, and they were very pleased with the result! That's the name of the game for me!! I am sure this painting will be more interesting if the sea was really heavy, plus thundering clouds above, and the HU-16 struggling to fly overhead! However, i wanted to show an image clear enough, where the aircraft will be the dominant object, and tried to use attractive colours in order to be eye catching for those potential modellers who want to purchace the kit!! Trumpeter and Hobby Boss models have trusted me to paint the boxart of some of their most important kits! I have done more than 35 images for them, such as the SU-25A and SU-25UB frogfoots, the supermarine Spitefull and Seafang, the A-1D Skyraider, Hobby Boss's F-14's, Me-262's, F4U-4 Corsairs etc!!

I hope i did not tire you! Thanks again for allowing me to take part in this great Model site and forums!! If i can be able to help in any way please let me know!!!

Best wishes!! Regards, Kostas Kavvathias

Love your work! Did you do the wellington boxart?