1/48 - Grumman HU-16A Albatros by Trumpeter - released - new Alley Cat nose correction set

Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fellow Modellers hello!!

My name is Kostas Kavvathias and i live and work in Corfu-Greece!! My work is an effort in Aviation, military, and maritime art! This effort brought me in contact since 2010, with the Chinese model companies of Trumpeter and Hobby Boss! The last 3 years i work for them as a boxart artist! It was one of my dreams to come true! I was so much inspired all those past years by the great masters of boxart illustrations, such as, the late Roy Cross of Airfix, Shigeo Koike of Hasegawa Model co, and my favourite..Mr Roy Huxley of matchbox model kits!! In fact, i keep in contact with Roy and he gives me many advices in the fields of aviation art!!

I did the above HU-16A Albatros boxart image, intenting for the soon to be released, HU-16A in 48th scale by Trumpeter models!! I can understand in the fields of art, some critics will be not pleasant, cos every body has his right for his opinion! I am hoping that mr T7 Models and venomvixen were joking in their view about HU-16's boxart image! Cos if not, i find this critic a bit cynical!

Ships go under for various reasons not just because of rough seas!!! Moreover, i do not recall any ship to sink because was bitten by a shark! This image was done under collaboration with my client, Trumpeter Models, and they were very pleased with the result! That's the name of the game for me!! I am sure this painting will be more interesting if the sea was really heavy, plus thundering clouds above, and the HU-16 struggling to fly overhead! However, i wanted to show an image clear enough, where the aircraft will be the dominant object, and tried to use attractive colours in order to be eye catching for those potential modellers who want to purchace the kit!! Trumpeter and Hobby Boss models have trusted me to paint the boxart of some of their most important kits! I have done more than 35 images for them, such as the SU-25A and SU-25UB frogfoots, the supermarine Spitefull and Seafang, the A-1D Skyraider, Hobby Boss's F-14's, Me-262's, F4U-4 Corsairs etc!!

I hope i did not tire you! Thanks again for allowing me to take part in this great Model site and forums!! If i can be able to help in any way please let me know!!!

Best wishes!! Regards, Kostas Kavvathias

• Like 3

Beautiful weather conditions on that box art, with what looks like sea state 2 at most... and yet that freighter is sinking like its been caught in a force eight gale :shrug: .

Still, the kit looks nice.

Yes, nice art on the aircraft, not good on the ship.

Sinking in far to straight a fashion and from the stern? very strange indeed. Also still smoke from the stack when engine room should be flooded by now?

Also for you info Mr Planeart I may not know art too much but I know ships and how they behave with qualifications in Shipbuilding, engineering and naval architecture. So while I am not being cynical or having a go, I very much doubt a ship would sink like that in such a calm sea unless by design.

I also notice the lifeboats are still on their davits, not launched. You would not believe how quickly a trained crew can get these away, especially with the added impetus of your ship sinking. Would have looked better with the boats in the water pulling away from the ship.

Julien

ps I want one of these models!

Hello Julien,

Your comments are very interesting indeed!! They'll make me a better painter when it comes with ships!! I used a picture of that sinking ship just to give drama in the painting and not to study Ship engineering! Trumpeter models will release the Aircraft as a kit, not the ship!!! I found that particular ship picture and it showed the funnel still smoking despite the caption of the image which was reading'' still afloat after hours''! So who knows, maybe the crew were still aboard trying to save whatever they could from it! I am sure the HU-16 would have flown above it even if they did not had an sos signal!

Anyway, i hope the modellers to be able to buy this because they like the airplane, and not to be driven away because i did not study ship engineering in order to paint the ship in the correct sinking side!!!???

Thanks for the info and comments!!! regards!!!!

• Like 1

Can't believe people are nit picking on the art work... Ship? I hadn't even noticed it as I was looking at the main subject, let alone looking to see weather the ship still has it lifeboats on!

Planeart, you've done a great job imo.

• Like 3

Dear Radleigh,

Thank you very much for your good comments!! I really beleive everybody has the right for his opinion! Who's me to question that! My intention was just what you mentioned!! The HU-16A Albatros! A beautifull airplane and the aim to make modellers to look at it with joy! It does not mean that i am not trying to make my art as historical and correct as possible, but if a Modeller who wants that kit, won't buy it cos the ship in the boxart is not sinking in the right manner, then he is not a Modeller! The ship is there to ballance the painting, plus the fact that i used a particular picture in order to avoid making a mistake on how ships are sinking and in which way!! Thanks again, Happy Modelling!!!

• Like 1

Really? so this is what this site is coming to? Not content with nitpicking the bejeesus out of as yet unreleased models, we're now going to pick on every conceivable problem with the box art

Some people are never happy

Bruce

• Like 2

Dear me, we haven't even seen the plastic in detail and we are now ripping apart the box art. Its certainly far better than I can produce as the only ships I could paint would be with a 6 inch paint brush and a large 5L tin of Admiralty Grey.

Smart arrse comments are fine, just remember that its different face to face, not pixel to pixel and we all read things differently. Perception is a difficult thing with the sterile nature of a discussion board.

Now can we go back to discussing the kit, not its cardboard container......

• Like 1

Dear Guys hello!!

I never realised that my boxart image would create this pickering! However i am a MODELLER myself and i am trying to portray box art in a good historical correctness and i always make big search in every image i have the commision for!!

Dear Venomvixen, i did mentioned the possibility of you beeing joked so do not feel upset! :shutup:

Dear pacificmustang, abacus, thank you for the kind words about my art!

Dear Greg B, i tottaly agree with you! However boxart is the first image that the modeller comes to face and i think it should be as accurate and historical as possible! I have bought Models in the past not because i really wanted them, but because i was so much amazed by the beauty of it's boxart! That's me! Other modellers do not bother too much! But since i work for Trumpeter-Hobby Boss clients i feel i have to explain/comment/correct matters concerning my work!

As for the kit itself, sorry guys i do not know details of it cos my only contribution is just the boxart!!!

Best wishes!!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Great looking model!

Will definately get one.

As for the box art, well its box art, if we were discussing a Robert Taylor painting fair enough, but its box art!

• Like 1

Pity you guys got nothing better to do than pick holes in someone elses work. I'm glad you lot didn't post your artwork, I'da wiped my bum on it! Let's have some decency here, the guy is doing a job and doing it well, if you dont have anything good to say the keep your TRAP SHUT!

MTPW

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 3

I honestly despair of some people on this site. Are their pathetic lives so desperately unfulfilled that they can think of nothing better to do than indulge in pathetic nit picking over the box top painting for a new model? Planeart - you have done a fine job. Please continue

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

Hello Planeart, I think your rendition of the aircraft is great! Many times I have bought a kit that falls outside my 'normal' subjects because of the artwork, and this looks like one that would tempt me. I would have to find out if there were other colour schemes as silver and me do not get on! Keep up the great work, kind regards, Ray