Revell 1/144 SA330 Puma - Finished for the time being

Dazzio

Hello everyone,

This is my first Work in Progress on here, I will update this as and when but don't expect this to be built as fast as some other modellers. I personally blame that world famous annoyance known as "work"... blah! Anyhow, I got this model about a year or two ago at Modelzone when it was on a sale for the grand price of £1.99. Wished I had gotten two now but nevermind, it's been sitting in my stash since then while I have worked on the "cooler" models like the F/A-18, AV-8B, Typhoon. I've started it now as I fancied a change and it's been bugging me. Well onto the pictures.

pumap.png

The box all battered and bruised. There is two schemes, this one from the Gulf War (I refuse to call it the Gulf War 1, sounds silly to me tbh) and also one in the classic green and dark blue/grey (to me it is anyhow) from Boscom Down. The actual Squadrons escape me right now as I am typing this at my g/fs house while she makes a cake.

img0427z.jpg

The "office" end of the cockpit, this was still a WiP when I took the picture, I know the painting is a bit haphazard but please remember that this is still 1/144 scale, so this is about the size of your finger nail :P I don't think you will see any of the detail anyhow when it's all closed up but I know it's there.

img0431sl.jpg

Front end, the little wire things where not part of the kit. They are actually stripped wire from a USB cable, not the thick bit all of the little wires inside of it, I think theres 6 wires on a USB iirc??... I tried to make it look like the wires for the control panel but they where still too thick and I have nothing thinner, which is a bugger.

img0430pn.jpg

Only took this picture to show the fire extinguisher, I know it will not be seen inside the model, but it looks cool. Made from the power wire inside a USB cable, all these broken usb cables are really handy!! ;)

img0475kv.jpg

The body closed up, was a bugger to fit as the part the rotors/gearbox/engine sit on did not sit too well. Also the instructions also tell you to fit it back-to-front. I tried it their way the the tail-boom refused to close. So I had to rip it out and swap it around. The fit is very snug. Think I had better dryfit my AH-64D quite a lot when I get around to it. You can also see my lame attempt at seatbelts. I think they'll work once inside the triple-glazed "canopy" of it. Is it even called a canopy for a helicopter?

img0479rz.jpg

I have no idea what this little base thing is, I found it in my bedroom. All I know is that it was made in China (what isn't these days tbh :P ), I was thinking of trying a diorama of some kind. I'll have to see if I can get any 1/144 figures for it. The rotor "base" isn't glued in, I just got it there to see if it fitted, it does thank god but the rotors wont spin.

img0502nu.jpg

Right before anyone else mentions it, that thing on the front of the fusleage is actually one of my hair strands, god knows how it got there! Anyhow, the front canopy was a bugger to fit as the console was too far forward and thus I couldn't get the canopy to sit right under the engine intakes. I had to "persuade" (aka brute force) it to fit. It's all glued and is now sitting correctly as it should. On the flipside the cockpit door fit is really tight. So there is no real need for glue, but I glued it anyhow to make sure my carpet didn't eat the door somehow. I know the masking needs sorting out, it was fine until I had to "persuade" the canopy into place. ;) Can anyone confirm for me if the bottom right (as your looking at it) door window is actually infact a window? Or just a sheet of metal?

img0503sw.jpg

And this is the view from the other side, you can see a little into the cabin and the cockpit. I am planing on having this side open so you can see into the cockpit, I believe this is the pilots side?? Also one thing I thought was weird was the fact that Revell give you the model without any engine exhausts! So you'd be able to look at the exhausts as it is now. I have made some and painted them, just need to fit them after painting.

Well this is a far as I have gotten up to, I am hoping to get more of it done this week as I am on holiday if I can ever shift this stinking cold... *man flu*... I am welcome to any and all suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Hi Dazzio - it's a fiddly little bugger I have one almost finished in the tiger meet livery but b****red up the decals. So have bought a couple more including this version so looking forward to watching your progress.

In response to the bottom right it should be metal

Robert

I have seen Tigermeet versions floating around, and seen some very impressive models of it too. I think my decals have buggered up also, I kinda dropped them into a puddle when I was moving them from my shed to my kitchen. I'll have to see what I can rescue if anything... As for being fiddly, dont even get me started on the control sticks, not looking forward to tackling those "steps" or the ariel thing at all... Thank you for confirming the door panel thing, Robert. I look forward to seeing your ones, if/when they get posted :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks for the info Mark and Neal, I will look into those little figures. Might have to invest some new glasses to see them tho :P

Done a little to the Puma today, I fitted the rear chaff launcher thing and the doors plus masked them off. Oh yeah and the rotors, these are not glued down yet, they look a little too big to me. I'm gonna have to compare it to some proper pictures I have of the Puma.

photouw.jpg

Well I said it wasn't much to look at. I still need to sort out that door panel. But shes starting to look like a helicopter now tho. Oh in the background you can see my Ju88 and B-17's that are 1/144 from Minicraft and a Revell 1/72 Flitzer which I am just building for a laugh. Might get around to priming her tomorrow.

Dazz

• 1 month later...

Well here is a lame update on this project. I did have her all ready for priming, then last week my mother thought it would be a good idea to put all of her magazines on top of my models. A lot of them have broken, I've got an intake from a MiG 1.44 that's missing, so I have had to scrap that project (really annoyed about that. Anyhow, I've managed to fix most of the damage and found the missing parts. She's been primed and waiting painting. I am thinking of painting her the same time as my Tornado GR1's, dunno when that'll be tho. Anyhow, picture time.

photo10xc.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've done a little to the Puma while I was waiting for other bits and bobs to finish on the two Hornets. I got bored and decided to use the Xtracrylix that I had for the paint, also decided to brush paint it on, you do have to do multiple coats, the first coat really doesn't go on too well. But once it is dry it's very glossy so the decals can go straight on, will be buying more of this paint I thinks, smells a lot like woodchips to me... weird. I've got to sort out the antennae and stuff with the right colours but getting there.

img0730cq.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

Well I done some more work on the Puma today, after the F-18D cock-up I didn't have the motivation to do much to this. So I have done as much as I could be bothered to, I am going to call this one done.

photoggn.jpg

photo7ip.jpg

photo4oz.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I would love to do some weathering on it, but truth be told I am not actually too sure how. Truth be told, until I figure out what's gone wrong with my F-18D (in another post) I'm a bit worried as to putting anything else on it bar paint and decals. Wish I hadn't rushed with this one, could of done it so much neater but I guess you're always learning with models eh?? :)

Thank you for the kind words :)

Kind regards

Dazz