Merlin boxart on Airfix.com

John

The Ex Danish Merlins Have a different crew entry door & more windows each side & a large window in the main door.. RN air tecs are at Benson training on type as we talk ,first airframes starting to be converted.

AFAIK they have not started converting any HC3 to HC4 standard as currently the budget is only to determine the Naval Conversion, as the actual conversion is unlikley to be funded till the 2015 SDSR :weep: !. They may be lining up some cab to convert to Naval control to start training the Junglie crews but th actual Naval version intended for sea duty is still some years away and after the Sea King Commando force retires !.

Personally i would like to see them order some new build Merlin HC4, to keep Yeovil busy, provide a minimal force of Commando helicopters and act as a basis for conversion of the HC-3 fleet. It might also help out with the chronic spares shortage and may allow for additional airframes to be odered to cover the Crowsnest AEW requirement rather than trying to use the reduced number of HMA-2 Merlin airframes that are needed for ASW now we have no dedicated MPA aircraft.

I've asked Airfix about this before. They said they had all the info but it would be a big job to tool an RN Merlin as there are some significant differences. For a start you'd need a new fuselage...

Now that is seriously disappointing

Can't wait till Telford to see one built up, should be a stunning model.

I'll be shopping around for mine, I'm sure the price will come down. The 1/48th Lynx AH7 can be had for £18 if you look about at the moment

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Brilliant news and great box art! Like people say, pity on the price but it will be a very impressive piece of kit once built. I like the decal choices, especially the sadly departed X-Ray (ZJ138), which ended it's life with an RPG hole in it! Hopefully someone will release the codes and markings to cover the whole fleet as I have my favourites!

As for the 3a, Grizzly is correct in that a new fuselage would be required and the are a lot of detail differences between the 2 marks, with the centre fuselage having more in common structurally with the Mk1 (no open hook bay and it still has the Mk1's sonar structure present under the skin for a start) and the interior and exterior equipment is completely different, being designed more for SAR than troop ops.

With regards to the forthcoming Mk4, there's no news with us as yet as to how far the Navalisation will go, but with the Merlin being a modular design, it's almost just a simple job of bolting the blade and tail fold bits straight on to the already existing but unused brackets.

Apparently the RAF Merlins are to replace the Junglie Sea Kings in a couple years time. Just need a decal set for them when the time comes!

Is that right? Good the see the FAA getting some modern kit. Junglies must getting pretty old by now, I'd imagine. Will the RAF be replacing them with Chinooks? Seems unlikely in the current climate. Mind you, it always seemed to make more sense to me for the Army to have the Chinooks (and Pumas).

Tim.

.......or wait for RAF to transfer theirs to the RN!

Trevor

Apparently the RAF Merlins are to replace the Junglie Sea Kings in a couple years time. Just need a decal set for them when the time comes!

Mmmm, now that RAF version is looking good..........and it is a good looking modern Helo ?

Is that right? Good the see the FAA getting some modern kit. Junglies must getting pretty old by now, I'd imagine. Will the RAF be replacing them with Chinooks? Seems unlikely in the current climate. Mind you, it always seemed to make more sense to me for the Army to have the Chinooks (and Pumas).

Tim.

It is happening. The Navy are already jointly operating the Mk3's at Benson, ready for a 'seamless' handover in 2016. And the RAF guys that work Merlin Depth at Culdrose have already been told they'll be gone by 2016.

The Army operating Chinooks and Pumas? Sacrilege old boy!

Now that is seriously disappointing

The reason Airifx say they are not producing an RN versionis that they and the Italian navy are the only two operastors of the type. The extra cost to re-tool would be far to expencive and may not give a worthwhile return on investment!

Colin on the Africa Station

It is a pity that its too costly to tool the kit for a Royal Navy version. But they could have, perhaps, followed the route that Italeri took with their 1/72nd kit and different boxings and parts. But then it would be a scale up of a direct copy I suppose.

Edited by Paul J

The reason Airifx say they are not producing an RN versionis that they and the Italian navy are the only two operastors of the type. The extra cost to re-tool would be far to expencive and may not give a worthwhile return on investment!

Colin on the Africa Station

To be fair to Airfix, they didn't say "never", they said "probably not for a while". They've got all the info on it so it's possible they may do it at some point in the future.

To be fair to Airfix, they didn't say "never", they said "probably not for a while". They've got all the info on it so it's possible they may do it at some point in the future.

The best way to persuade Airfix that the naval version is worth doing is, paradoxically, to buy the RAF version. If no-one buys it they'll probably conclude that it's not worth taking it any further.

Edited by pigsty

These details are on the 'paint and accessories' tab....

ZJ138/X No.28(AC)Squadron, 1419 Flight, Joint Helicopter Force (Afghanistan), Helmand Province, 2010

ZJ118/B, No.28(AC)/78 Squadron, Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA), UK, April 2012

ZJ124/H flown by Flt Lt Kevin Harris DFC, Incident Response Team (IRT), Joint Helicopter (Iraq),2008

ZJ126/K No.28/78 Squadron, Royal Air Force Benson, 2011. Serial and codes of Halifax MkIII 'Willie'

ZJ133/R 'Splat!' No.28 (AC) Squadron

Andrew

Notice the last colour scheme on the box - the 78 Anniversary dinner backdrop with tiger stripes!

.....I could live with this.........

HPIM5135a.jpg