The Mouse that Soared

philp

After it's victory over the US, The Duchy of Grand Fenwick became a world power. Part of the compensation from the US was 2 F-84's redirected from Yugoslavia, an airfield to fly them from and training to maintain and fly their new fangled toys.

The Q Bomb was modified for aerial delivery (they just added some fins to it, shh). Fear of this awesome weapon (it doesn't work, shh) kept the peace for many years.

For more background information read (or watch) The Mouse that Roared, a slightly fictionalized documentary.

I will be using the Tamiya kit in 72nd scale and some decals made by one of the guys over on Whatifmodelers. Another member did the following profile for me and I will be doing something similar to it.

F-84G.jpg

At least, that is the plan. I have several review kits that need to get done and some builds for a Veterans Day display for work but I will try to have them all on the go at the same time.

Wish me luck. I am pretty sure I will need it.

• Like 1

Actually had a couple minutes to get a start on this one.

Tamiya%20F-84G%20Thunderjet%2072nd.jpg

Kit was second hand from another whiffer. He didn't have the decals or the clear parts but had included a vac replacement canopy.

I sent a note off to Tamiya inquiring on replacement clear parts and they sent the whole sprue. Good show.

Since everyone starts with the cockpit I, of course, didn't. The kit comes with the splitter as 2 pieces to trap a weight and include the nose wheel well. I smashed a fishing weight to fit and glued the 2 parts together. There is a piece representing the guns that goes on top of this and a panel to display open to show this off but I will be building mine closed. That way I can add additional weight on top if needed.

Did paint some of the cockpit parts but without decals I will have to see what I have to fill the space a little. Maybe an extra F-86 panel would look ok. Will do some more work on the cockpit tomorrow and try and get a pic or 2 up.

Still got Thunderbird 1 to get done for Review and KITT hasn't been started yet. Throw in the Huey I am doing for the GB over on UAMF and for my works Veterans Day display and I will have quite the busy bench here. Think I need to move some of the old in process builds out of the way for a bit.

Yep, still trying to figure out the long bow mounting but sure it will come to me. :coolio:

Got a little more painting done last night. Just need some detail painting in the cockpit and then can put it together.

Still need to look for instrument decals to liven it up.

Edited by philp