Here's my attempt at the new Airfix Mustang. I replaced the prop with a Quickboost resin one and fashioned some louvres over the side intake grills from Magic-Sculpt and added an Eduard PE harness. The kit is lovely and goes together like a dream. Everything is very snug and barely a wiffle of putty needed anywhere. The interior is well appointed and the only thing I wasn't so keen on is the two piece canopy hood, but it looks okay. As far as I can tell it's pretty accurate and would make a IV or a D straight from the box, unfortunately the markings supplied are for a IVa or K version which needs the different Aeroproducts prop and louvres.

Cheer

Segan

mustang1.jpg

mustang3.jpg

mustang2.jpg

mustang11.jpg

• Like 2

GORGEOUS Mustang

IT looks MOST IMPRESSIVE. In 1:72 scale.

The colors are SUPERBLY done and it is so pleasant to hear that

the kit was good. Not often do modelers say that. AIRFIX did good there.

Good job.

KUDOS.... on a FABULOUS build..:)

Looks quite nice! I'm a sucker for shark mouths on planes, I daresay even a Sunderland could be improved by the addition of one. Does Quickboost make an Aeroproducts prop for the Mustang? I had only been able to find the normal prop, uncuffed.

Thanks everyone!

Very nice, especially in 1/72. Those louvres came out well, they must have been as fiddly as hell!

Chris

I started trying to fashion them out of plastic card but that was fiddly, the magic sculpt was a lot easier. I just read the latest Airfix Model World and they have a build article on it where they use plastic card to great effect.

Looks quite nice! I'm a sucker for shark mouths on planes, I daresay even a Sunderland could be improved by the addition of one. Does Quickboost make an Aeroproducts prop for the Mustang? I had only been able to find the normal prop, uncuffed.

I think it's and Aeroproduct prop, although looking at the packaging it says its for a P-51K so maybe it's not! It's definitely uncuffed but that doesn't mean it's Aeroproducts, oh dear. Well it looks the part to me.

That looks good. As an aside, you can actualy buy the louvres from Red Roo Models:

http://www.redroomod...conversion=1416

They also have a variety of Mustang blade types:

http://www.redroomod...&manufacturer=1

I was sorely tempted by those, but the shipping from Australia to the US was in danger of turning a quick, cheap build into something a little pricey.

And Freightdog have just introduced a louvre conversion set and prop for an RAF Mustang.

John

I think those came out the day after I'd finished my louvres or I may have gone fo them as there are a few bits I want/need from Freightdog!