Il-62M 1980 Official Olympic Carrier

Pin

When Zvezda has revealed their plans to release Il-62M in 2013 the value of RusAir resin kit started to diminish. Therefore I got the box from my loft and decided to join this group build before this kit is completely of of season

PICT0030.jpg PICT0031.jpg

The kit consists of a dozen finely casted high quality resin parts - no sign of bubbles and very little flash

There are several decal options, I've chosen "Aeroflot - Official Olympic Carrier" of Moscow 1980 Olympic Games.

PICT0032.jpg PICT0033.jpg

Four massive engines make the model quite a tail sitter

PICT0034.jpg

First operation complete - closed the fuselage halves. Applied some Mr. Resin Surfacer to reveal seam problems

PICT0035.jpg

There is no Zvezda kit yet - only a declaration of intentions. When it is out I'm expecting the same quality and atten

tion to the details as with Tu-134 and Tu-154.

Said that I can tell you in advance the areas where Zvezda will be ahead of RusAir - transparent cabin and cockpit windows, better detailed landing gear, antennae (that simply are not provided in RusAir kit), possibly better engine exhaust, and, of course, affordability - being a resin kit RusAir is relatively expensive.

What Zvezda will not be able to achieve due to technology limitations - razor sharp trailing edges. Traditionally I expect crappy decals - RusAir's are printed by Begemot

There is no Zvezda kit yet - only a declaration of intentions.

ok then....I wonder how it will compare to the intended Zvezda kit :)

looking very smart - re the nose weight; the real one had an extending tail support when parked on the ramp.

Are you including this?

I will be doing the aircraft in parked position with engine plugs (red ones) inserted into intakes and exhausts. This means tail support is in fully extended position - wheels on the ground. I nevertheless prefer to add nose weight - tail strut should be quite thin, I don't want to put it to much stress

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly moving forward (well, I must confess this is my background project)

Three more colours applied - we are ready for decaling

PICT0132.jpgPICT0133.jpg

Wheelware is a disappointment - crudely mastered and badly casted. This is where Zvezda would easily outclass RusAir

PICT0134.jpg

Edited by Pin

Most decals are in place

PICT0139.jpg PICT0140.jpg

I'm not quite happy with how windows came out - there is a strange approach when the cheatline is just a blue-white stripe with separate white outline and black window "bodies", i.e. there are three layer of decal. There are also a couple of nicks that I will either paint or hide with spare decals.