HMS Fair Rosamund nee Dos Amigos

seadog

Having a desire to suffer 'n all, and with the Smit London well advanced, I decided it was time I built another wooding boot....So using a bit of the unexpected back payment of a pension I bought this. Why this? I have a set of genooine photocopies of Royal Navy take off from 1837.

Knowing how inaccurate kit ships are, I reckoned it would help. Now aircraft modelers are always bitching about the odd mm here and there too little, to much. Hah, It is to laugh. To get the hull profile piece any where near the real thing I've had to get the plans to the right scale (1/53??WTF) and trace off a bunch of new bits to get the bow to the correct size and shape. The stern is worse, a couple of feet short and they ignored the counter completely - the counter is the flat bit under the transom that slopes down and forward, through which the rudder stock passes....I can sort it, I reckon. Oh yeah, as is common in kits and expected, they supply one piece plywood bulwarks, so that when you put 'em on they flare out slightly where they should curve back in, slightly, from amidships and aft to the stern. fun, fun, fun. It'll brush up OK, but really, a total scratchbuild would have been more straightforward. C'est la modellismo, eh?

F-R_4.jpg

F-R_5.jpg

F-R.jpg

Edited by seadog

That looks rather tasty for a build project, even with the inaccuracies you've already discovered. Since I got seasick whilst on the Bulwark, so I stay well away from ships and boats. I have however a Brownwater Navy LCM6 on the go, which will end up with 48th Huey atop it.

Colin on the Africa Station

I haven't been slacking, honest! I've spent a fair bit of time working out the best way of sorting the stern to make it look a bit better. Having now got a pretty good idea of how to go about it I set about filling in between the frames. I got the idea from Boudroit'a monograph on 'La Jacinthe' a despatch schooner. Having seen on another build that there might be problems with sagging betwixt frames it seemed like a good idea.....Lots of sawdust! I had to use balsa, lacking any better choice.

filling-1.jpg

filling.jpg

F

• 1 month later...

Been working on this, lots of redrawing measuring and more thinking of the " How the **** am I gonna make that work?" sort. But finally I've gotten down to planking the Wales and Bulwarks. I use a lot of bamboo treenails to reinforce my glue joints. They're structural on the hull, not cosmetic as it's going to be painted so I'm not adhering to a pattern. To make it easier I glued a couple of bits of sandpaper to the jaws of a small pair of pliers. Saves the fingers!

treenail_pliers.jpg

Lots of bamboo treenails to make and insert in pre-drilled holes

treenails.jpg

Here's a wale...

wale.jpg

And some sophisticated plank bending....moistened by tucking a plank in the mouth for a minute...

and here are the bulwarks in place and rather in need of some sanding.... Guess I should plank the stern next

Fraser

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I apologise for the lack of updates, totally due to sloth, not lack of progress, however. Much wood has been chopped, cut, sanded and glued in place. Some pictures:

Bulwarkworking...

bulwks_up.jpg

...and some sophisticated plank bending....

plank_bend.jpg

Bamboo treenails (pronounced trennnels or even trunnels) help by provide a mechanical join and more glue (aliphatic resin) surface.

treenails.jpg

I'd always been planning to do this ship as a waterline, finally took a deep breath, girded my loins etc. and went for it

IMG_1729.jpg

The schooner survived the operation...

FR_1.jpg

Next up was a bit of deck planking - that's planking with a p...To simulate caulking, I used black artists' Acrylic as it's thick and doesn't soak into the wood too much. Clipped groups of pre-cut planks together and slathered it on... The planks are Lime to replace the nonsense in the kit.

deckwork.jpg

...and this is the result. Not perfect but good enough for rock n roll...

plnk-deck.jpg

A shot of the bow. Where planks would come to a point the get 'nibbled' (no mice involved) into a nibbling strake, and that was a sweetheart to get shaped right. Nibbling the planks into it isn't difficult at all

plank-bow.jpg

Here's the stern, similarly nibbled.

plank-stern.jpg

At the moment I'm working on the cabin trunk...more pics soon,

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a lot of water and sawdust under the bridge since I last put up any pics, so here goes.

The cabin trunk and a grating

FairR_1_zps02490d19.jpg

This is a view of the bow with bitts...cut out of DeGamé which is a lot like Boxwood.

bitts_zps0ddf8921.jpg

Lastly here's an overall view of the hull as it stands at the moment. If you look closely you'll see a little twisted wire man armature - there for scale.

Hull-rails-2_zps29dea4ab.jpg

I seem to have started the New Year with a nasty cold so work is on hold till I shake the bug.

Ta for looking.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the compliment! If you really want to, you can. It ain't rocket science! :) It's mainly down to taking your time and being willing to re-do things till you're satisfied that they're as good as you can do.

There has been some progress since I posted these. I've been working on the head decorative rails...lots of re-dos. The whole project is rather on the back boiler due to field work needing doing and also the realization that when she's done, there will be a case to build...and I think it will need to be about a meter long and nearly as tall. These ships had long spars... I'll post some more pics soon.

Fraser this is simply beautiful, especially the nibbling strakes, I'm building a wooden ship myself so I hope I can achieve the same quality of finish as you have. Just lovely!

Cheers, guys. It has a VERY long way to go....Nibbing in the deck planks isn't terribly complicated, and there are loads of guides on the web. It helps to have good wood. The stuff in most kits is crap. I bought Lime from Cornwall Model Ships for mine.

Here's the latest development, and boy, was there a lot of trial and lots more error with these bits. The kit stuff was clunky crap.

Ah, for some reason I can't link the picture, which is on photobucket, like the rest. I get a message saying you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community???

• 5 weeks later...